How did you justify a next-gen purchase?

#1ThrenagynPosted 2/18/2014 1:15:24 PM
Not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to see what others have to say. I've always kept current with each gaming generation, but have not been able to justify the leap to PS4/X1. It just seems like there is too much going against it, with very few benefits.

Here are my current thoughts:

Pros:

1) There are certain games that are exclusive to the system in question.

2) It just has one primary function, to sit under the computer to play games, so it makes it a little easier to jump in and out of a video game session.

Cons:

1) The specs of the current gen are on par (or less) with mid-level desktop computers and mid to high level laptop computers, and its just the beginning of the new generation. When PS3/360 first came out, the playing field was a lot different.

2) PCs are upgradeable. If I want to increase my RAM from 4GB to 8GB, I can easily do so by shelling out $50 or less. If I want a video card that is on par with the capabilities of PS4/XB1, I can sell my old one on Ebay for a few bucks and buy one that beats next-gen for $125 (GTX 650 Ti) or $135 (Radeon 7850). Again, these are the current prices. Next year it will probably be $100 or less. Let's be honest, we all have a PC somewhere to work with (for typing documents, surfing the web), all you need to do is increase certain select parts (maybe a few of these, but usually not all - Mobo, PSU, CPU, Memory, HDD, GPU...)

3) Versatility. While PS4 and X1 are more versatile than their predecessors, they don't come anywhere close to PCs. I can buy a $20 bluetooth keyboard that works amazing on Amazon.com. If I want to buy a PS4,PS3 knockoff controller, I can do so by paying $10, rather than $60. I can also use it for the Windows/Mac functionality of writing documents and

4) More games. PCs have so many games and even Titanfall is being developed natively on the PC (rather than being just a port of the X1 version), so it will be able to be tuned up WAY better than on X1. Many people buy consoles to play them on the TV, but arguable, I can hook up my PC to my TV wirelessly from the other room now and use a wireless gamepad and have graphics that will look insanely amazing on my TV.

5) Games don't die with each generation. Backwards compatibility just isn't a problem here. Maybe its still ambiguous as to whether old X360 or PS3 digital content will transfer to the next-get, but I think a free transfer will be unlikely - they may at least charge a fee of some sort. With Steam, and related services, my content always transfers from one PC to the other no questions ask. Heck, if the game is available for both Mac and PC, then I can play it on both for just 1 purchase.

6) Cheaper games. With things like the steam sales where you can pick up literally hundreds of semi-current games (past 0-5 years) for less than $100. 80% of my games I've never even played. I can't stand that digital games for my 3DS, Wii, PS Vita, PS3, etc. cost soooo much money even a while after release. It takes forever for a big title $60 game to break the $40 threshold. Nintendo is the worst offender. Its AAA games sat at $60 for the entire life of the Wii.

Many of you will probably thing I'm a troll, but I do really think this one is obvious. What are some other pros you guys can think of for going next-gen? I'm sure many of you thought of these questions.
#2kidwgmPosted 2/18/2014 1:16:40 PM
I work. I liked the product and what it offers so I purchased it. No justification needed.
---
Currently Playing: Rune Factory 4
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#3FinzFan4lifePosted 2/18/2014 1:18:01 PM
kidwgm posted...
I work. I liked the product and what it offers so I purchased it. No justification needed.

This. I wanted it so I bought it.
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#4regsantotomasPosted 2/18/2014 1:20:13 PM(edited)
1. Justification is unnecessary. As the second poster noted, it was something I could afford and wanted.

2. Any solution can be marginalized - yes including the PC which I never play games on simply out of preference.

3. I don't see these consoles as a single function device any more - nor would I want them to be - any more than I would want my smart phone to only make phone calls.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#5PokemonYoutubePosted 2/18/2014 1:20:14 PM
I had lots of spare money. Sony's PS3 lineup all but guarantees an amazing exclusive lineup for PS4 in the future. Easy choice.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura
#6Exodus_PrimePosted 2/18/2014 1:20:39 PM
kidwgm posted...

---
"Maybe all these clowns should chill out and stop trolling me." - MetroidFan9999
Xbox One-PlayStation 4-Xbox 360-PS3-Vita
#7MRL3G3NDPosted 2/18/2014 1:22:57 PM
I game everyday... I have disposable income...I wanted it...I got it
---
XBOX ONE BF4 CRAZY
http://youtu.be/wndCkss-AJA
#8Threnagyn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2014 1:24:19 PM
Hmm maybe it is more of a luxury thing then. I don't make a lot of money so for me its a harder sell probably.
#9Reflex-ArcPosted 2/18/2014 1:25:14 PM
Do I want this? Yes.
Can I afford this? Yes.

*justified*
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#10PokemonYoutubePosted 2/18/2014 1:25:44 PM
Threnagyn posted...
Hmm maybe it is more of a luxury thing then. I don't make a lot of money so for me its a harder sell probably.

Well, yeah. If you don't have much money to spend, you have to think twice about everything you consider buying.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura