What happened to letting people game where they feel comfortable?

#1quigonzelPosted 2/18/2014 11:43:09 PM
When it comes to gaming, there should be no right or wrong. There should only be solace in the fact that the industry is thriving and people are flocking to where they want to go. Not to where they should feel pressured to go. Why does it have to be about making others feel bad or ashamed of what they decided to buy? Perhaps they want to stick with a familiar brand. Perhaps they took a good hard look at the games that are coming out for each and saw something that they wanted to play.

The bottom line should be they are gaming and supporting the industry by purchasing systems, games and accessories for their desired system.

When I see needless hatred, trolling and venom spewed in either direction, it kind of makes me ashamed to be a gamer. I've been one for 30 years and this generation has spawned some of the most hateful and embarrassing people who do nothing but look for ways to make other gamers feel bad.

Shame on you for doing so. Let's get back to what's important, enjoying our games, systems and friends who play them.
#2Kupo_Mog_KupoPosted 2/18/2014 11:46:56 PM
It's the net. You get a lot more that act like kids(as far as consoles go) here than you ever would in the real world. It is a shame really but it isn't going to change.
---
If LeBron shoots below 56 percent for the regular(obviously) season(2013-14) I'll close my account.
#3Laylow12Posted 2/18/2014 11:47:11 PM
It's a discussion board for the console. Nothing more and nothing less.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#4dctavernierPosted 2/18/2014 11:52:41 PM
Haters gonna hate. That's all I can say.
#5loafy013Posted 2/19/2014 12:26:56 AM
If you have been gaming for 30 years, then you should know why some of us don't like the direction some companies are trying to take gaming. It would be nice to think you could open people's eyes, but in reality, I think it just makes people dig in even if it is against their own interests.
---
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.
#6Spetsnaz420Posted 2/19/2014 12:34:26 AM
loafy013 posted...
If you have been gaming for 30 years, then you should know why some of us don't like the direction some companies are trying to take gaming. It would be nice to think you could open people's eyes, but in reality, I think it just makes people dig in even if it is against their own interests.

This... Seriously
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#7garainePosted 2/19/2014 1:05:08 AM
loafy013 posted...

I wish everyone understood this. I normally don't take much stock in the whole console war but all the hate received simply for the console I chose to buy. it puts me on the offensive once you put someone in that state they are not as receptive to outside suggestions. sometimes even causing those suggestions to have the opposite of the desired effect turning me against them even if they are in my best interest.
#8Pantera_head667Posted 2/19/2014 2:14:22 AM
People are more likely to go out of their way to complain than praise something so its not surprising that these people rally in a place where their opinions will be noticed and acknowledged because outside of the internet, people don't really care at all.

As for the direction gaming is going id say we don't have as much to worry about as pc gamers... With the direction Steam seems to be heading in, there's a lot of false advertising, alpha releases that are often terrible somehow being allowed a public platform to rip you off, games that aren't even finished!!! Developers of such games actually censoring negative coverage and youtube videos *cough garrys incident cough* and making a joke out of the industry. Its the people that 'talk with their wallets' buying these ridiculous products that are letting us down because devs will just do it all the more, target the stupid, and the stupid come online to defend themselves against the rest of us laughing at them for buying flappy birds. There really is no excuse. So yeah, we've got it easy, apart from the technology personal preference police idiots on gamefaqs.
---
_,-' Dance to the decadence dance '-,_
#9slowdog76Posted 2/19/2014 2:42:01 AM
loafy013 posted...

how arrogant. "open peoples eyes?" who the heck are you? why are your (honest) opinions more valid than anyone else's?

I've been gaming for 35 years, give or take. and i prefer the direction MS are taking, whilst dis-liking other things within the industry. however, if people dont agree with my opinion, i really dont care. they are entitled to it. i have never, and will never, sit here and try to turn peoples opinions round to my way of thinking. i will respond to people voicing theirs. i will post if someone is talking nonsense. but jeez. open peoples eyes? get over yourself man
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#10loafy013Posted 2/19/2014 4:07:30 AM
slowdog76 posted...
loafy013 posted...

how arrogant. "open peoples eyes?" who the heck are you? why are your (honest) opinions more valid than anyone else's?

I've been gaming for 35 years, give or take. and i prefer the direction MS are taking, whilst dis-liking other things within the industry. however, if people dont agree with my opinion, i really dont care. they are entitled to it. i have never, and will never, sit here and try to turn peoples opinions round to my way of thinking. i will respond to people voicing theirs. i will post if someone is talking nonsense. but jeez. open peoples eyes? get over yourself man

With the things you dislike, did you see it coming? I felt that way years ago with some of the first micro-transactions I became aware of, specifically horse armor (think it was an Elder Scrolls game). I could see that if it took off, it would just be the beginning of companies starting to nickel and dime the players. Now 10 years later, look at how much DLC is out there. By "open your eyes" I mean it more as people should be willing to take a long view of gaming and the potential ramifications if certain ideas start being implemented on a wide scale.

With the Xbone, I have a real problem with the initial requirement of a 24 hour check-in. Why? Because as somebody who plays single player games, I want to be able to play my games 20 years later if I choose. As an example, check out Phantasy Star Online for the Xbox. You can't play the game single player anymore because of the game design requiring an online check for something that doesn't exist anymore, yet I can play it on my Dreamcast with no problem. And yet people will still defend the idea that it would never happen and could never have a negative impact on the gaming community.
---
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.