What happened to letting people game where they feel comfortable?

#11MrSpaM111Posted 2/19/2014 5:03:02 AM(edited)
I like how a lot of people seem to be forgetting that if all these people hadn't spoken up and complained about things, MS fans would now be playing a DRM riddled console, with a camera you can't disconnect from the system and the complete inability to lend a game to one of your friends.

The sad truth is MS can't do anything right at the moment. They've released some half decent games yes, but the actual console has been marketed extremely poorly, and continues to be to this day. It's still blindingly obvious MS are still trying to push all digital, are people seriously going to just roll over and accept it because they've bought the console now?!?

You might consider a lot of these topics as simple trolls, but the fact of the matter is these 'trolls' actually helped you, by getting all these anti-consumer practices removed from the console.

If MS actually started doing positive for the gamers instead of trying to milk them dry and dictate what they can and can't do you'd see these boards become a lot less hostile. Looks to me like MS are the biggest trolls in this situation TBH!
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#12garainePosted 2/19/2014 10:43:18 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
I like how a lot of people seem to be forgetting that if all these people hadn't spoken up and complained about things, MS fans would now be playing a DRM riddled console, with a camera you can't disconnect from the system and the complete inability to lend a game to one of your friends.

The sad truth is MS can't do anything right at the moment. They've released some half decent games yes, but the actual console has been marketed extremely poorly, and continues to be to this day. It's still blindingly obvious MS are still trying to push all digital, are people seriously going to just roll over and accept it because they've bought the console now?!?

You might consider a lot of these topics as simple trolls, but the fact of the matter is these 'trolls' actually helped you, by getting all these anti-consumer practices removed from the console.

If MS actually started doing positive for the gamers instead of trying to milk them dry and dictate what they can and can't do you'd see these boards become a lot less hostile. Looks to me like MS are the biggest trolls in this situation TBH!

I agree with most of that but sony was gonna do a lot of the same stuff if it hadn't went over so bad for Microsoft. I don't hate sony as a company but I feel like they let other companies take all the risk then they cash in on the results. and you can't say Microsoft does the same if they followed what others did they wouldn't be having the issues they have now. not that what sony did was so bad but lets be honest what would the ps4 be now if Microsoft hadn't took that beating for them. we keep beating up ms for taking risk yet on this same board I've seen post about how the industry is dying coz companies don't wanna take risk anymore. we want new and revolutionary but only if it's in our favor. yeah drm is anti consumer but it's to protect the developers we can protect our own interest but it's wrong for the companies to protect theirs.
#13quigonzel(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 12:03:06 PM
My topic isn't about taking a stance against the companies' business practices. It's about taking a stance against someone's decision and making them feel stupid, ignorant and a piece of crap they just stepped on in their yard.
#14Jiggy101011Posted 2/19/2014 12:09:11 PM
loafy013 posted...
slowdog76 posted...
loafy013 posted...
If you have been gaming for 30 years, then you should know why some of us don't like the direction some companies are trying to take gaming. It would be nice to think you could open people's eyes, but in reality, I think it just makes people dig in even if it is against their own interests.

how arrogant. "open peoples eyes?" who the heck are you? why are your (honest) opinions more valid than anyone else's?

I've been gaming for 35 years, give or take. and i prefer the direction MS are taking, whilst dis-liking other things within the industry. however, if people dont agree with my opinion, i really dont care. they are entitled to it. i have never, and will never, sit here and try to turn peoples opinions round to my way of thinking. i will respond to people voicing theirs. i will post if someone is talking nonsense. but jeez. open peoples eyes? get over yourself man

With the things you dislike, did you see it coming? I felt that way years ago with some of the first micro-transactions I became aware of, specifically horse armor (think it was an Elder Scrolls game). I could see that if it took off, it would just be the beginning of companies starting to nickel and dime the players. Now 10 years later, look at how much DLC is out there. By "open your eyes" I mean it more as people should be willing to take a long view of gaming and the potential ramifications if certain ideas start being implemented on a wide scale.

With the Xbone, I have a real problem with the initial requirement of a 24 hour check-in. Why? Because as somebody who plays single player games, I want to be able to play my games 20 years later if I choose. As an example, check out Phantasy Star Online for the Xbox. You can't play the game single player anymore because of the game design requiring an online check for something that doesn't exist anymore, yet I can play it on my Dreamcast with no problem. And yet people will still defend the idea that it would never happen and could never have a negative impact on the gaming community.

You are confusing DLC and micro-transactions.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
If you want to troll, provide a source to backup your claims.
#15garainePosted 2/19/2014 1:18:54 PM
quigonzel posted...
My topic isn't about taking a stance against the companies' business practices. It's about taking a stance against someone's decision and making them feel stupid, ignorant and a piece of crap they just stepped on in their yard.

yes I know I was directly responding to another post I meant no disrespect to you or your topic.
#16Viet0nePosted 2/19/2014 1:21:39 PM
quigonzel posted...
When it comes to gaming, there should be no right or wrong. There should only be solace in the fact that the industry is thriving and people are flocking to where they want to go. Not to where they should feel pressured to go. Why does it have to be about making others feel bad or ashamed of what they decided to buy? Perhaps they want to stick with a familiar brand. Perhaps they took a good hard look at the games that are coming out for each and saw something that they wanted to play.

The bottom line should be they are gaming and supporting the industry by purchasing systems, games and accessories for their desired system.

When I see needless hatred, trolling and venom spewed in either direction, it kind of makes me ashamed to be a gamer. I've been one for 30 years and this generation has spawned some of the most hateful and embarrassing people who do nothing but look for ways to make other gamers feel bad.

Shame on you for doing so. Let's get back to what's important, enjoying our games, systems and friends who play them.

What comes around goes around and it's the internet.
---
Currently Playing: ACIV, Starbound, Borderlands2
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#17MistahApplezPosted 2/19/2014 1:43:38 PM
You're fighting for a lost cause, TC.
---
Veteran console war soldier.
#18Juzten76Posted 2/19/2014 1:46:23 PM
This is the internet where even the comments section of a news story about someone saving burning puppies will have people angry about it.
#19120N7Posted 2/19/2014 2:10:39 PM
loafy013 posted...
If you have been gaming for 30 years, then you should know why some of us don't like the direction some companies are trying to take gaming. It would be nice to think you could open people's eyes, but in reality, I think it just makes people dig in even if it is against their own interests.

Are we unable to decide what is in our own best interests? If you wish to take a stand against a company, vote with your wallet. Simple.

I don't need my eyes opened. I made a legitimate choice based on my own needs, with my own money. Why should anyone tell me otherwise? Because it doesn't conform to some notion they have of what others would want if they were enlightened?

Most people game to relax. They don't need to be told how they should relax. I like Nintendo, you like Microsoft, he likes Sony, she likes PC. Great. We all like gaming. And those who would have it otherwise are the same idiotic zealots who genuinely believe EA is the world's worst company.

But I digress. Great post, TC, I wholeheartedly agree :)
#20Ryu1356Posted 2/19/2014 2:29:34 PM
Trolls are terrible people...

http://www.thewrap.com/study-finds-online-trolls-bad-people-offline/