Resolution and how it affects you

#1RagnarokxvPosted 2/19/2014 2:33:51 AM(edited)
There seems to be some confusion as to what resolution standards actually mean. I am speaking of "1080p" and "720p" more specifically.

"1080p" or "720p" are not a quantity of "p".
"p" means progressive scan, the number is the amount of horizontal lines of vertical pixels/resolution.

This means that the full resolution of 1080p is 1920x1080 and 720p is 1280x720. Multiply X by Y or 1920 multiplied by 1080 for the total number of pixels rendered.

How does this affect you? It really depends on your monitor or television set. I am assuming that most of you have a 1080p HDTV by this point in time. This monitor has a number of pixels equal to the output standard 1080p, which results in each pixel rendered by the console being represented by an actual physical pixel on the monitor from a 1080p signal. This means that the resolution is "native" and not scaled. This results in the best possible picture for your TV! If the output resolution is not pixel perfect the resulting image on your screen is scaled, which doesn't look nearly as nice.

A 720p image will be stretched to fit a 1080p monitor and will lose quality for this reason, not to mention the diminishing result of having the image consist of less pixels anyways so it is kind of a double whammy.

PC gamers are much more familiar with this concept and unanimously agree that your system should be run at native resolution to the monitor, otherwise your monitor is too big or your graphics card is too weak. Unfortunately for game consoles you cannot control your hardware components so you put faith in the manufacturer to balance things properly. Microsoft has failed in this regard.

Does this make more sense to you now?
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#2CharadeSmithPosted 2/19/2014 2:35:59 AM
I'd like to point out that even a 720p-only HDTV benefits from 1080p native games in terms of aliasing/jaggies, they will become much less noticable, as the higher the resolution, the sharper things are (and the least necessary AA becomes, which most games don't even have)
#3181stCommanderPosted 2/19/2014 2:45:31 AM(edited)
Meanwhile in Russia, Putin's being a badass as usual.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/301/455/c3b.jpg
---
Join The Galactic Empire, like the Imperial Fleet facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/theimperialfleet
#4thegrimgunnerPosted 2/19/2014 2:53:20 AM
If you've ever been a Pc gamer. You begin to realize graphics mean NOTHING. The most enjoyable games I've played on my Pc in the 3-4 year time away from consoles were as followed.

Starbound
Planetside 2
Black light redemption
Team fortress 2
Left 4 dead 2
Skyrim
The walking dead
Bioshock Infinite
Legends of Grimrock

While owning 150+ other titles

And not at one point did I think woahhhhhhhhhh man this the difference in resolution between 1080 and 720 was important at all. While Modelling and Rendering in 3DS Max I see slight differences but generally NOBODY WHO ACTUALLY PLAYS GAMES CARES.
---
Psn: IIGrimsonII (Not currently active) Xbox GT: II Krason II
PC/Steam Krason
#5CharadeSmithPosted 2/19/2014 3:06:11 AM
^that's not true at all.
#6wake_me_420Posted 2/19/2014 3:26:20 AM
thegrimgunner posted...
If you've ever been a Pc gamer. You begin to realize graphics mean NOTHING. The most enjoyable games I've played on my Pc in the 3-4 year time away from consoles were as followed.

Starbound
Planetside 2
Black light redemption
Team fortress 2
Left 4 dead 2
Skyrim
The walking dead
Bioshock Infinite
Legends of Grimrock

And not at one point did I think woahhhhhhhhhh man this the difference in resolution between 1080 and 720 was important at all. While Modelling and Rendering in 3DS Max I see slight differences but generally NOBODY WHO ACTUALLY PLAYS GAMES CARES.

Some people just don't get the argument, such as yourself. No one is saying that a particular game can't be good if it is 720p instead of 1080p. The whole issue revolves around the same game on two different systems where one system is constantly putting out the same game at a better resolution/fps.

If someone said you can either have a 720p version of a game on xb1, or a 1080p version of the same game, obviously you are going to say the 1080p version.

It is more than fine if you are alright with 720p multiplatform games on the xb1, if other factors about the system help balance that negative.

I think a lot of Sony fanboys want xb1 owners to acknowledge that the PS4 has the better multiplatform versions this gen and that if they could have the version of a game with better graphics on xb1 they would want it, but the fact that they can't isn't the end of the world.

I believe there are xb1 owners that genuinely feel that way, and aren't bothered by resolution differences. I also believe there is a smaller percentage of xb1 owners that are seriously butthurt about it and do mental gymnastics to avoid any cognitive dissonance.
---
Check out this sweet box fort I made. Dare I say, 'World's Greatest' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jo57wauuvA
#7thegrimgunnerPosted 2/19/2014 3:27:56 AM
It is. You do not play video games on CONSOLES to get the prettiest graphics. In-fact Graphical fidelity is unimportant. The things Core gamers enjoy are not the games with the prettiest graphics nor resolution.

Take Cod as a prime example game looks like anus juice year in year out but players buy it because they find it fun plus (zombies).

Check my steam account

google alexander krason it'll come up. Look at my list of games. resolution means nothing to the majority.
---
PC/Steam Krason
#8thegrimgunnerPosted 2/19/2014 3:32:06 AM(edited)
wake_me_420 posted...
thegrimgunner posted...

Starbound
Planetside 2
Black light redemption
Team fortress 2
Left 4 dead 2
Skyrim
The walking dead
Bioshock Infinite
Legends of Grimrock

Some people just don't get the argument, such as yourself. No one is saying that a particular game can't be good if it is 720p instead of 1080p. The whole issue revolves around the same game on two different systems where one system is constantly putting out the same game at a better resolution/fps.

If someone said you can either have a 720p version of a game on xb1, or a 1080p version of the same game, obviously you are going to say the 1080p version.

It is more than fine if you are alright with 720p multiplatform games on the xb1, if other factors about the system help balance that negative.

I think a lot of Sony fanboys want xb1 owners to acknowledge that the PS4 has the better multiplatform versions this gen and that if they could have the version of a game with better graphics on xb1 they would want it, but the fact that they can't isn't the end of the world.

I believe there are xb1 owners that genuinely feel that way, and aren't bothered by resolution differences. I also believe there is a smaller percentage of xb1 owners that are seriously butthurt about it and do mental gymnastics to avoid any cognitive dissonance.

No I wont. I own a PC. Ill go there because firstly the games are CHEAPER and I have a machine capable of running them. Secondly possible MOD support OR I'll go where ever my friends are when a game has multiplayer (Xbox)
---
PC/Steam Krason
#9wake_me_420Posted 2/19/2014 3:36:18 AM(edited)
thegrimgunner posted...
It is. You do not play video games on CONSOLES to get the prettiest graphics. In-fact Graphical fidelity is unimportant. The things Core gamers enjoy are not the games with the prettiest graphics nor resolution.

Take Cod as a prime example game looks like anus juice year in year out but players buy it because they find it fun plus (zombies).

Obviously PC is going to offer the best graphics, and if you want the best resolution/fps you go PC. However, a lot of people are hesitant to go the PC gaming route for various reasons. If someone is only interested in console gaming, comparing, and being interested in graphics between two competing systems is not uncommon.

I've been gaming since intellivision, and graphical upgrades from generation to generation have always been a topic brought to the forefront. To say graphical fidelity is unimportant is short sighted. In some games, it makes no difference. However, in some games graphic fidelity enhances the immersion factor of a game.
---
Check out this sweet box fort I made. Dare I say, 'World's Greatest' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jo57wauuvA
#10NeVaRmoorePosted 2/19/2014 3:46:37 AM
Playing a 1080 game on a 720 tv won't do you much good. Lowest common denominator rule. Heck I know lots of people who still use SD.
---
jawsking posted...maybe he dodged my post by teleporting from a lava pit