Resolution and how it affects you

#41schmarkenheimerPosted 2/19/2014 6:55:45 AM
thegrimgunner posted...
It is. You do not play video games on CONSOLES to get the prettiest graphics. In-fact Graphical fidelity is unimportant. The things Core gamers enjoy are not the games with the prettiest graphics nor resolution.

Take Cod as a prime example game looks like anus juice year in year out but players buy it because they find it fun plus (zombies).

Check my steam account

google alexander krason it'll come up. Look at my list of games. resolution means nothing to the majority.

CoD4 was highly praised for its fidelity on release, it just hasn't moved on much in more than half a decade. For example:

"As you might expect, Modern Warfare has a bullet point list of fancy dynamic lighting effects, real world shadows, depth of field, yadda, yadda, but as boring as these things sound, the game looks absolutely lovely. Admittedly, certain things don't look that great close up (such as vegetation), and you have to say that the geometry's stubborn resistance to damage is a touch old school, but in terms of atmospheric effects it deserves nothing but high praise. As ever, the particle effects are staggering, with some of the best smoke and explosions ever seen in a game, and aligned with superb lighting, excellent attention to detail and convincing, fluid character models, Infinity Ward has built on everything it was already renowned for."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-review

Not exactly berated for how it looks eh? Unfortunately, Crysis was also released that year and was years ahead of its time.
---
Post of the ****ing year. - crimsyn_76 Best. Example. Ever. - Veliconis
Epic. - Xade76 Want to run that by us in English instead of Derp, champ? - pies12
#42leelee3105Posted 2/19/2014 6:56:43 AM
wake_me_420 posted...
leelee3105 posted...
Resolution and how it affects you....

not at all
/topic

So you're saying 720p and 1080p are exactly as visually appealing as the other?

Stop being ignorant. 720p is nice, 1080p is better.

no.... I am saying that it is barely better, and if im concentrating on the graphics hard enough to care it probably means the game is boring as balls
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#43ReillyGJPosted 2/19/2014 6:59:28 AM
I have an actual question when it comes to resolution that maybe one of you kind folks can answer.

I understand that a higher resolution will produce a better looking image, but why is it that sometimes increasing a resolution only seems to add more screen "real estate"? For example, a retina MacBook Pro supports a resolution of 2880x1800. It's a beautiful display, but the amount of "space" on the screen still resembles 1400x900. It's always confused me lol...sorry if off-topic
---
XBL GT: MR ANYB0DY
#44structural98Posted 2/19/2014 1:44:32 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I own PS3, X360 and now X1 of the current gen. I prefer X1 due to exclusives (historical and upcoming) and the controller. I will admit that I have been a bit annoyed by the inability of the X1 to play games at 1080 so far. Part of me thinks that if it's having this much trouble with launch games then wtf is gonna happen in a few years.

However, after reading several articles from developers that the new dev kit will supposedly bring the X1 on par with the PS4 with ease I feel a bit better (this obviously assumes that the statements are true). I think what we're seeing is the fact that the 2 systems have different architecture and the developers are finding it easier to work with the PS4 in the early lives of the consoles. This was actually the exact opposite in the last gen as the PS3 was more difficult to develop/code for.

I'm surprised that this is a problem as I would have thought MS would have their $hit together. On a side note I'm still baffled that Sony can create a smaller more powerful system that doesn't require an external power brick, but hey, more power to 'em. Hopefully the new dev kits and some more time with the system will make the 1080p discrepancy disappear within the next couple waves of new releases. But, I think that the X1 has hurt themselves since day 1 with all the bad press and flip flopping around about online only etc. Then you pile the resolution issues on top of it and I think MS is really starting this gen off in a hole.

But, in the end I'd personally much rather play DR3 and/or Titanfall (based on beta impressions) over anything the PS4 has to offer. <This is obviously not fact, just my opinion and preference of games. The only game that wowed me on the PS3 was The Last of Us, other than that it was a nice blu ray player that required excruciatingly long updates.
#4582xenoPosted 2/19/2014 4:00:04 PM
NeVaRmoore posted...
Playing a 1080 game on a 720 tv won't do you much good. Lowest common denominator rule. Heck I know lots of people who still use SD.

It's called downsampling in the PC world, it's the simple effect of internal rendering at a higher resolution than your display. It offers the effect of less aliasing.

Stop making up rules.
---
Shwing
#46MaverickneoPosted 2/19/2014 4:08:21 PM
I own an xbox one. That being said...

I think the debate here is this...
Xbox one costs $500. PS4 costs $400. Why is the gaming machine that costs $100 more, not producing the same game at 1080 with either 30FPS or 60FPS. Technically, with the maching costing $100 more than the competition, it should be as powerful or more powerful.

Therefore, some people that purchased an xbox one are just a little upset at this. Me on the other hand, I dont care because I bought it for different reasons. (Exclusives and Controller) But I agree, it does boggle my mind why the xbox one cant archive this and even more so, the fact that Microsoft cant or wont come clean with this discussion.
#47MaverickneoPosted 2/19/2014 4:12:18 PM
structural98 posted...
Okay, I'll bite. I own PS3, X360 and now X1 of the current gen. I prefer X1 due to exclusives (historical and upcoming) and the controller. I will admit that I have been a bit annoyed by the inability of the X1 to play games at 1080 so far. Part of me thinks that if it's having this much trouble with launch games then wtf is gonna happen in a few years.

However, after reading several articles from developers that the new dev kit will supposedly bring the X1 on par with the PS4 with ease I feel a bit better (this obviously assumes that the statements are true). I think what we're seeing is the fact that the 2 systems have different architecture and the developers are finding it easier to work with the PS4 in the early lives of the consoles. This was actually the exact opposite in the last gen as the PS3 was more difficult to develop/code for.

wow, someone else who pretty much purchased the X1 for the same reasons. I too mainly have my ps3 for a blu ray player and yes, it does bug me a little about the 1080p situation. I hope you are right that its a bit more difficult to develop for and hopefully they get over this hump fast because the PS3 never did.
#48RaRitsujunPosted 2/19/2014 5:24:50 PM
82xeno posted...
NeVaRmoore posted...
Playing a 1080 game on a 720 tv won't do you much good. Lowest common denominator rule. Heck I know lots of people who still use SD.

It's called downsampling in the PC world, it's the simple effect of internal rendering at a higher resolution than your display. It offers the effect of less aliasing.

Stop making up rules.

Well, the Xbrats are trying too hard.
---
18735 XBL Gamerscores | 44 PSN Platinums - Level 25 | 7101 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.
#49Rdeal2Posted 2/19/2014 6:42:37 PM
CharadeSmith posted...
I was merely pointing out that 1080p has an advantage even on 720p HDTVs. I'm not a graphics whore but there are three things i dislike visually; depth of field, motion blur and jaggies. The less of each a game has, the better for me. I actually use my PS4 on a 720p tv and the 1080p games look great because of how mostly jaggie free they are. It's like when i play 1080p on my PC; there's just more sharpness, regardless of display.

edit: to explain it better, the problem is not a game having certain graphical issues; it's having them on a platform but not on another. If it's a specific "problem" that i perceive as important (as is the case of the above), then i will always prefer to play the game on the platform where it's better. unless...said platform has hardly any other games i want to play, because then it becomes an investment issue.

explain to me how you would get less jaggies on a 720p tv?you get less jaggies because 1080p has more pixels,a 720p still has less pixels so the jaggies would be there
#50Ragnarokxv(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2014 7:25:44 AM
The standard for "HD" video is and has been 1080p for quite some time, which is why the current situation of the Xbox One is so concerning. When the console launched much of the incriminating evidence was yet to be available and at that stage the capabilities of both systems were legitimately debatable.

Please remember that the Xbox One is not entirely designated as a 720p console, the system is perfectly capable of delivering actual HD content, but it will be prevalent in exclusives where the actual Xbox hardware is the standard. In the situation of multi-platform games the standard matches the hardware that delivers the best performance, and other formats have to play catch up. In this situation the Xbox One will always be behind the PS4 and will sacrifice being HD in order to provide the same game.

Since multi-platform is arguably the biggest and most important market it doesn't bode well for the One.

A modern console should output a 1080p signal to match 1080p HDTVs. Simple as that. There really isn't any reason to debate this point. If you intend to enjoy your Xbox One you need to come to terms with the fact that you aren't experiencing HD in multi-platform games.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??