What are the benefits of hooking cable/TV through the XBONE?

#11Troll_DirectoryPosted 2/19/2014 10:51:56 AM
suicide machine posted...
i watch my tv through the xbox one. there is no discernible lag, sound or video wise. no issues, whatsoever. my wife and I love it because of the voice commands. we haven't used our cable remote since we got our xbox one. also, if she feels like playing peggle 2 when a basketball game that I want to watch is one, she plays and i'll watch the game on the snap screen. we thought that was pretty cool. but yea, the biggest advantage is the awesome voice controls
^this pretty much sums it up. i have a cisco dvr, and it's worked almost flawlessly (i had to do one hard reset last year). i still need the dvr remote to access saved shows, but the voice commands are best for "pause" "play" and "mute". all three of those are nice not to need the remote. especially if you ever exercise or eat in front of the tv. and of course, "xbox, go to netflix," or "xbox, go to strider," is nearly instantaneous, rather than having to grab the remote, switch inputs, then power on and navigate the xbox menus. and, i'm not worried at all about wear-and-tear during normal tv watching. no moving parts or heat coming off of this thing at all.
#12regsantotomasPosted 2/19/2014 10:54:44 AM
Plenty - for us.

Notifications when someone or I want to Skype my family from work.

Being able to snap the TV like when tracking boring portions of the Olympics has been great.

Voice commands can be nice when the controller isn't immediately in plain sight.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#13kennyynnooPosted 2/19/2014 11:02:25 AM
I need to just try it. I unplugged my ps3 due to to many hdmi devices, I like to play Gtav from time to time. I just hate the idea of leaving the thing on all night.
---
PSN-S30andz32
360-Z32andS30
#14suicide machinePosted 2/19/2014 12:45:43 PM
kennyynnoo posted...
I need to just try it. I unplugged my ps3 due to to many hdmi devices, I like to play Gtav from time to time. I just hate the idea of leaving the thing on all night.

you can turn it off if you want... unless you mean that you'll be watching tv all night.
---
My new video game & paintball blog: http://m-slender.tumblr.com/
Xbox One clips: https://www.youtube.com/soulcoffin
#15Laylow12Posted 2/19/2014 1:12:46 PM
It strips Dolby digital from your signal and lowers picture quality. Not worth the voice commands if you care about sound or video.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin