Isn't all of this performance and power difference mainly up to the developer??

#1RixgearPosted 2/19/2014 12:15:12 PM
I keep quite a huge obsession over the consoles differences in power and performance. But if you look at every gen before this one it was always based on how good the developer is at optimizing thier game on each console.

Take a look at the best looking games on the ps3 and Xbox 360. The Last of Us is gorgeous because Naughty Dog knows how to make use of the ps3's hardware, however, games like Witcher 2, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, and Halo 4 all look incredible as well. Why? because the developer knew how to use the hardware to its fullest.

Despite the differences in raw specs both consoles manage to release very comparable graphically intense games even though they were exclusive. The multiplatform games usually have less optimization as there is not enough effort put out to make both versions identical. That is why games like Bayonetta suffered, despite the power difference.

So all of this obsession over one console being more powerful than the other is pretty silly and childish. If the differences were really that large then the game may as well be an exclusive. By the end of last gen the Xbox 360 and ps3 both had good looking games.

This gen will be no different because it is dependent on the developer, not the hardware itself. Hardware does impact the ceiling of how far a developer can go, but if they are making a multiplatform game they should put more effort in making them the same.

Just my 2 cents.

TLDR; Performance and power of a game is centered on the developer not the hardware. Although hardware is important. Both consoles last gen have proven to be similar from thier respective exclusives. This gen will be the same.
---
Proud owner of all consoles. Nintendo ID- Ragebit, Steam- Rixgear
PSN- OneLibra, Gamertag- Ragebit, 3DSFC- 2793-0608-4349
#2jetrexPosted 2/19/2014 12:32:51 PM
I totally agree. I have been gaming for a very long time, and the power differences even back them on the sega genesis and super Nintendo were very much on the developer side. Developers need to put more effort optimizing their games, instead if just blaming the hardware.

Look at games like Doom 3 BFG and Rage. John Carmack knows optimization and manages to make both those games run perfectly.
#3aszsithPosted 2/19/2014 12:37:15 PM
No no no....You're Internetting wrong TC. You just have to blame company A or company B. That's the GFaqs way. There's no place for reason, logic, or anything other than emotional rants. Plus, you forgot to mention sales figures, resolution, frame rate, or Titanfall.

On the other hand, I completely agree with what you posted.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#4MJFJDPosted 2/19/2014 12:40:13 PM
The problem is that a large number of multiplat devs will not necessarily optimize their games for both consoles. Last gen the 360 was easier to develop for and it showed. This generation the ps4 appears to be easier for developers and there is no guarantee that multiplats will be optimized for xbox one.
#5StrongBlackVinePosted 2/19/2014 12:43:01 PM
No there is a real difference in power between two consoles. Some developers may choose to exploit this power more than others. At this point people should just accept that and buy whatever you like the most. The more it gets downplays the more stories we will see when the multiplats show differences.
#6Viet0nePosted 2/19/2014 12:45:52 PM(edited)
No generation has had two systems launch at the same time with this significant difference of hardware performance.

The PS3 and 360 summation of performance were not significantly different. The combined performance of the Cell and RSX provided better performance than the Xenos in the 360 by itself. That's why developers eventually brought games to parity and exclusives were slightly better. The GPU in the 360 was also 50% more powerful in majority of GPU functions in comparison to the RSX alone, hence why multiplats performed better on the 360.

The Xbox One has no additional hardware to make up the difference to be optimized like the PS3 did.

Anyone who believes developers can get the same performance out of the Xbox One that the PS4 can provide is ignorant and delusional. If hardware wasn't a ceiling, then why can't developers simply optimize for the PS3 and 360 even further to get the same performance as the Xbox One and PS4.

Hardware has limitations. Optimizations allow you to use the performance as close to the limitations as possible. You can't simply optimize and go beyond the capabilities of the hardware.
---
Currently Playing: ACIV, Starbound, Borderlands2
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#7Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 12:46:23 PM
MJFJD posted...
The problem is that a large number of multiplat devs will not necessarily optimize their games for both consoles. Last gen the 360 was easier to develop for and it showed. This generation the ps4 appears to be easier for developers and there is no guarantee that multiplats will be optimized for xbox one.

Yes. That is very true, and that is why I feel developers really need to put forth more effort in doing so. It is not like the hardware gap is large like Wii U. And even then, some multiplats on Wii U and Xb1 and ps3 like Skylanders and the lego games are very well done.

All we can do is wait and see if developers will actually do what is necessary to offer an equal experience to all of thier customers. Blaming a the hardware or the company itself for a lack of equality in a game's quality is silly.
---
#8Reflex-ArcPosted 2/19/2014 12:47:58 PM
To a point, yes, but you can't squeeze blood from a stone. We're going to see some great looking Xbox One games during its lifecycle, but there is simply no denying that the PS4 is just a more capable machine.

That being said, we all knew this going into the generation. MS was pretty up front about the fact that they were not aiming for the utmost in graphical capabilities from the get go and instead aiming for a platform that performed well for the rest of the machine's intended usage.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#9regsantotomasPosted 2/19/2014 12:50:45 PM
Reflex-Arc posted...
To a point, yes, but you can't squeeze blood from a stone. We're going to see some great looking Xbox One games during its lifecycle, but there is simply no denying that the PS4 is just a more capable machine.

That being said, we all knew this going into the generation. MS was pretty up front about the fact that they were not aiming for the utmost in graphical capabilities from the get go and instead aiming for a platform that performed well for the rest of the machine's intended usage.

Well said.

At the end of the day, we will have to see if these deltas go beyond simply just being noticeable but impactful from a gamer perspective.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#10Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2014 12:51:12 PM
Viet0ne posted...
No generation has had two systems launch at the same time with this significant difference of hardware performance.

The PS3 and 360 summation of performance were not significantly different. The combined performance of the Cell and RSX provided better performance than the Xenos in the 360 by itself. That's why developers eventually brought games to parity and exclusives were slightly better. The GPU in the 360 was also 50% more powerful in majority of GPU functions in comparison to the RSX alone, hence why multiplats performed better on the 360.

The Xbox One has no additional hardware to make up the difference to be optimized like the PS3 did.

Anyone who believes developers can get the same performance out of the Xbox One that the PS4 can provide is ignorant and delusional. If hardware wasn't a ceiling, then why can't developers simply optimize for the PS3 and 360 even further to get the same performance as the Xbox One and PS4.

Hardware has limitations. Optimizations allow you to use the performance as close to the limitations as possible. You can't simply optimize and go beyond the capabilities of the hardware.

So now I am completely delusional and ignorant?? :( wow ok.. that us pretty mean. I was just offering what I thought. It isnt like I make these consoles. The power gap is there yes. But looking at the best looking games each console offers shows they are very comparable. That is what I am saying. There are more tricks and things a developer can use to make the game "LOOK" the same even if it isnt within raw power. Again Witcher 2 looks amazing and that game is for high end PCs. Aren't people saying Ryse is one of the nest looking games on console now? It isnt that huge a gap. Genesis and SNES had a big gap too, yet those games also "LOOKED" the same.
---