Which device will developers create content* for? Sony's VR headset or Kinect?

#21pwnater777Posted 2/23/2014 8:52:52 AM
Virtual Reality will appeal to more people (in this country at least) because you don't have be up and moving around, which plenty of gamers despise doing while playing a game.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#2282xenoPosted 2/23/2014 9:08:54 AM
For gaming?

The headset. Kinect is OK as maybe a UI interface device....but let's get real, there is no game out there that makes people go "wow this will make gaming so much better!" for the kinect....aka a killer app. And we will be waiting this entire generation for it. If developers haven't come up with a positive better use case over just a controller for the thing yet, they aren't going to.
---
Shwing
#23krystylaPosted 2/23/2014 9:12:45 AM
82xeno posted...
For gaming?

The headset. Kinect is OK as maybe a UI interface device....but let's get real, there is no game out there that makes people go "wow this will make gaming so much better!" for the kinect....aka a killer app. And we will be waiting this entire generation for it. If developers haven't come up with a positive better use case over just a controller for the thing yet, they aren't going to.

I love how it is handled in BF4. The voice commands are so much more convenient to use than the commo rose
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Schreckstoff
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#24ejay8320Posted 2/23/2014 9:23:42 AM
Aarkshark posted...
Neither. They will continue to design for controllers or touchpads (though that's mostly for smartphones/tablets).

VR at this stage still uses a controller for movement/actions, VR just lets you "see" the game as if your in the game.

As for the poll, I think it would be easier to implement as an extra feature than trying to find a way to force motion control. I see it being like 3D, games will have it as an option, at the very least first party games.

So I vote the VR.
#2595_EclipsePosted 2/23/2014 9:25:09 AM
Kinect is not the future because MOST gamers want a controller in hand. So at most, kinect can only do superficial things. Voice commands can be done with a mic.

VR on the other hand, you'll be able to still use a controller, and also look freely around you.

Now way off in the future, they could maybe combine the two, but they are going to have to figure out how to stop people from destroying **** that they won't be able to see lol :P
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#26pwnater777Posted 2/23/2014 9:26:00 AM
ejay8320 posted...
Aarkshark posted...
Neither. They will continue to design for controllers or touchpads (though that's mostly for smartphones/tablets).

VR at this stage still uses a controller for movement/actions, VR just lets you "see" the game as if your in the game.

As for the poll, I think it would be easier to implement as an extra feature than trying to find a way to force motion control. I see it being like 3D, games will have it as an option, at the very least first party games.

So I vote the VR.

Only for seeing the game, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vHv4lNvg4
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#27ejay8320Posted 2/23/2014 9:42:55 AM
pwnater777 posted...
ejay8320 posted...
Aarkshark posted...

So I vote the VR.

Only for seeing the game, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vHv4lNvg4

Oh that is nice, and finally someone actually show a solution to movement, thanks. I'v asked many times for someone to show me a solution to this but no one has till now.

Now for the big question is it affordable? It is awesome, but it'll be expensive, yes this hobby isn't cheap but if the price is too high not many will get it,

Thanks for the link.
#28mokmuudPosted 2/23/2014 9:56:39 AM
The headset could be easily implemented in any game that has first person view.
---
PSN: Mokmuud live gamertag: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#29True_Warrior52Posted 2/27/2014 12:50:00 PM
Kinect. It already has a good but of new games coming to it. Just look at D4. VR won't be practical for at least 5-7 years. There's still a lot to be worked out, and the price will be low enough to warrant buying it.
---
Being Hulk in an Iron Man suit while fighting zombies in GTA 4.
PC sounds more like a nerd fantasy than a gaming device.
#30Bellum_SacrumPosted 2/27/2014 12:59:54 PM
Sony's VR headset obviously, mainly because it will overlap with Oculus Rift, so they can have a multiplatform game that is available both on consoles and PC. Not to mention they don't even have to develop *for* it, it's just an optional add-on.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."