The Xbox One Multiplatform Discrepancy Debunker

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 2/22/2014 10:16:33 AM
I kinda feel like the thread should've been like, "Indiana Jones and the legend of the Xbox One Multiplatform Discrepancy Debunker" or something.

Anyway, there's been an awful lot of talk on this subject (moreso than even Titanfall-a-palooza) these days, and I feel it's important to bring up a couple of important points.

But before we go any further - the elephant in the room. Yes, the PS4 is the more powerful machine, and that's not under scrutiny. But how that translates into the games is being a touch overblown based on the games currently available, and I know this from first-hand experience developing on both platforms.

We received the Xbox One development kits about three to four months later than the PS4 kits. The development tools for the PS4 are proprietary by default, but the Xbox One's architecture is designed more for the development team to have more leeway and build tools to develop in their own way. What this means is that the PS4 is definitely the "out of the box" development platform, whilst you have to spend a bit of time setting up the Xbox One's tools and developmental base before you can even start building at all. This means that lazier, impatient or just development teams short on time will be able to knock out amazing stuff on PS4 quickly, but will need to INITIALLY put in a bit more work to get the same effect from the Xbox One console.

However, we're already reaching that point now where our internal development platform for Xbox One is ready to use, and boy is it slick. In fact, it is so silky-smooth that a few of the studio's main projects has shifted to using the X1 as the lead/host platform, simply because the development tools are directed uniquely towards our own developmental style.

This entire time, development teams have been building their own developmental tools to even START development on the Xbox One, which is why the lacklustre ports and seemingly lesser technical showcases are appearing at this early stage. But I'm certain that, like our studio, the larger development teams will have either readied or nearly finished an efficient set of development tools for the platform by now - so in about four or five months (when you'll begin to see content being built on the "perfected" development platform) you'll notice a different world entirely with presentation.

I hope that helped explain this situation a little to people that find it a bit confusing. Long story short, you need to string the bow before you can start to fire the arrows.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2AkumaOutsiderPosted 2/22/2014 10:20:25 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I kinda feel like the thread should've been like, "Indiana Jones and the legend of the Xbox One Multiplatform Discrepancy Debunker" or something.

Anyway, there's been an awful lot of talk on this subject (moreso than even Titanfall-a-palooza) these days, and I feel it's important to bring up a couple of important points.

But before we go any further - the elephant in the room. Yes, the PS4 is the more powerful machine, and that's not under scrutiny. But how that translates into the games is being a touch overblown based on the games currently available, and I know this from first-hand experience developing on both platforms.

We received the Xbox One development kits about three to four months later than the PS4 kits. The development tools for the PS4 are proprietary by default, but the Xbox One's architecture is designed more for the development team to have more leeway and build tools to develop in their own way. What this means is that the PS4 is definitely the "out of the box" development platform, whilst you have to spend a bit of time setting up the Xbox One's tools and developmental base before you can even start building at all. This means that lazier, impatient or just development teams short on time will be able to knock out amazing stuff on PS4 quickly, but will need to INITIALLY put in a bit more work to get the same effect from the Xbox One console.

However, we're already reaching that point now where our internal development platform for Xbox One is ready to use, and boy is it slick. In fact, it is so silky-smooth that a few of the studio's main projects has shifted to using the X1 as the lead/host platform, simply because the development tools are directed uniquely towards our own developmental style.

This entire time, development teams have been building their own developmental tools to even START development on the Xbox One, which is why the lacklustre ports and seemingly lesser technical showcases are appearing at this early stage. But I'm certain that, like our studio, the larger development teams will have either readied or nearly finished an efficient set of development tools for the platform by now - so in about four or five months (when you'll begin to see content being built on the "perfected" development platform) you'll notice a different world entirely with presentation.

I hope that helped explain this situation a little to people that find it a bit confusing. Long story short, you need to string the bow before you can start to fire the arrows.

So... proof you work for a Dev?
Also, what games have shifted to X1 as lead?

Come on man. Tired if seeing you post without some sauce
---
~Outsider.//.GrandFated
#3SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2014 10:25:39 AM
I've cited many a time who I work for, what position I keep - in fact, my Gamefaqs account is my work email (@Ubisoft.com).

I'm not at liberty to divulge the other game (as the change of host platform hasn't yet been declared publically) but the first game to shift to XB1 primary platform, as stated publically to EDGE, is The Division.
---
#4joe_davidPosted 2/22/2014 10:38:41 AM(edited)
TC I like you because you are honest and showed us concept art for Kameo 2.

Could you advise us further on Rebellions comments about the new XDK making higher resolutions easier to achieve on Xbone? Is it a speed increase or some compression tech to make the SRam larger in a virtual space?

I heard this elsewhere and they suggested that it's out there now, but it might not show up in games for another 6 months or so.
---
god of war 2 is the best game eva
#5AkumaOutsiderPosted 2/22/2014 10:33:22 AM
SigmaLongshot posted...
I've cited many a time who I work for, what position I keep - in fact, my Gamefaqs account is my work email (@Ubisoft.com).

I'm not at liberty to divulge the other game (as the change of host platform hasn't yet been declared publically) but the first game to shift to XB1 primary platform, as stated publically to EDGE, is The Division.

Oh really? So TD will look superior on X1?
---
~Outsider.//.GrandFated
#6SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2014 10:39:39 AM
Hi Joe, and you're welcome, mate.

With regards to the optimisation game, I'm certainly unsure about your RAM suggestion; like I said I'm in the Art/Design sector of our company and with regards to unlocking the actual hardware's potential, I only know what I get to work with.

However, the XDK comment you mentioned is likely what I was speaking about in my initial post. Instead of giving a closed framework like Sony's initial release (which to their credit is an exceptionally-refined bit of development kit, though not incredibly flexible), Microsoft gave us a very open, bare-bones framework to craft on. Their reasoning was to allow each individual development team to build their own tools to suit their own respective styles of development - but in doing so, it meant that each development team had to work with work-in-progress in-house tools. It made the optimisation stage especially, very challenging. But we're now thankfully at the stage where we have a very comprehensive, effective set of in-house Xbox One tools to work with, and for us, this makes the platform not only extremely attractive to work on, but the produced games a lot more impressive and stable.

Hope that answered your query bud.
---
#7mjc0961Posted 2/22/2014 10:45:08 AM(edited)
SigmaLongshot posted...
But how that translates into the games is being a touch overblown based on the games currently available, and I know this from first-hand experience developing on both platforms.

0/10, would not read again. Troll harder next time.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/entry.html?cat=18

After all, nice game developer user rank you have there. Oh wait.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#8axelfooley2k5Posted 2/22/2014 10:41:47 AM
AkumaOutsider posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

So... proof you work for a Dev?
Also, what games have shifted to X1 as lead?

Come on man. Tired if seeing you post without some sauce

you know what is good sauce wise?
that honey bbq sauce from Chick-fil-A
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#9Goregasm17Posted 2/22/2014 10:42:47 AM
AkumaOutsider posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

He never once stated that. He stated 'The Division' will be primarily developed on the Xbox One. Is gaming really just about looks..Is that what it has slouched down to? You're in the presence of an assumed developer and the only question you really have is about the "look" of the game?

How about this one, hey Dev, how is the gameplay coming along and when will we get the next update on this seemingly amazing game. Will it PLAY more superior on the Xbox One?
#10axelfooley2k5Posted 2/22/2014 10:45:40 AM
Goregasm17 posted...
AkumaOutsider posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...

He never once stated that. He stated 'The Division' will be primarily developed on the Xbox One. Is gaming really just about looks..Is that what it has slouched down to? You're in the presence of an assumed developer and the only question you really have is about the "look" of the game?

How about this one, hey Dev, how is the gameplay coming along and when will we get the next update on this seemingly amazing game. Will it PLAY more superior on the Xbox One?

take it easy
dont have a goregasm
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw