Microsoft Quietly Region-Lock "Xbox One Digital Games And DLC"

#11Valor_PhoenixPosted 2/25/2014 3:58:57 AM
krystyla posted...
Entering an invalid billing address is not illegal activity. I can't appeal because of an upheld modding but I am free to enter whatever billing address I want. If MS were to check if the billing address doesn't fit my payment option they can refuse to go through with the transaction.

PSN does that actually. They don't allow credit cards to be used outside their region, so no using a US card to put money on a Japan account.

The work around is to just buy PSN cards, which just adds a bit of hassle.

That said, no real restriction on creating PSN accounts in other regions.

I'm kind of surprised the XBox region lock is so easy to circumvent.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#12krystylaPosted 2/25/2014 4:11:25 AM
Styrof0am posted...
krystyla posted...
krystyla posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Entering an invalid billing address is not illegal activity. I can't appeal because of an upheld modding but I am free to enter whatever billing address I want. If MS were to check if the billing address doesn't fit my payment option they can refuse to go through with the transaction.

So if I tell people they should enter a North Dakota billing address because there are no taxes on digital goods there, it is not illegal activities.

I can confirm this, well partially.

I live in one of the postponed territories, and have several friends who orderes their XB1 from UK, Germany and even one from Spain.

They all use the US marketplace w/o trouble, and a few have verified with MS Support, that they're allowed to use Zip and area codes from the US as long as all other info submitted is true.

They're actually rooting for MS to postpone the XB1 release even further, because they can buy DD games at half the price of local prices.

Even though the XBO launched in Austria I prefer the English voice commands as well as the voice over to German and so I can't even choose my home country.

It's also EU law that importing digital goods w/o physical medium is tax and toll free.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Schreckstoff
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#131nternationa7Posted 2/25/2014 4:19:39 AM(edited)
krystyla posted...
Even though the XBO launched in Austria I prefer the English voice commands as well as the voice over to German and so I can't even choose my home country.

It's also EU law that importing digital goods w/o physical medium is tax and toll free.

Sigh, why can't other countries in the world be as progressive in their digital laws as the EU...

I did a study on this for college and EU is by far ahead of the rest of the world concerning digital laws.
---
Lords of Shadow 2 (02/25/2014) will be GoTY 2014 for PS3/360 and best H&S of the generation. Optional QTEs, 20 hours gameplay, epic story, and challenging!