Why are you a "Console Guy"?

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 2/26/2014 1:35:44 PM
...or girl. I'm not sexist. Men can make sandwiches too.

But this is a deeper question than I'm making it out to be. Console gaming is perhaps the least relevant now in this generation than it's been since the second console generation - we've now reached a point where you are technologically and financially better off - quite literally - building yourself a machine, a PC, to game on. But, if like me, you've chosen to remain primarily on consoles - you're bound to have had a reason.

And you're entirely justified in the reasons you've chosen by the way - humans aren't binary, logic-only creatures. Nobody is crazy if they just "grew attached to a controller". Nobody would judge you if you "couldn't NOT play that console-exclusive game". Those are valid reasons to YOU, and that's a big deal.

Me? It's a mixture of things. You see, I know fine well that PCs have better specifications technologically. But I personally - well I'm something of a nostalgic romantic. I've been gaming since the second generation, and I own at least one console from every single console generation now. I am endeared by it. I am enthralled by the culture, by the environment. I'm one of the few that will admit that I adore the closed-off "club" feeling of a console. To own a Spectrum, or an Xbox, or a SNES game - it feels exclusive, integral - it feels like you're part of something important. You don't just own a piece of software - you're joining a cool club where only members get to play this game, and I like that feeling. But I don't stick to one console, I don't stick to a single club - I'd be mad to restrict that feeling to a singular format. I instead found myself absolutely addicted to the notion of consoles being doorways to worlds that, when inside, were like something you had to commit to to be a part of. And that kind of dependant inclusion drove me to be the console gamer, developer, lover and gamer - that I am today.

But what makes YOU the "Console guy"? What makes gaming on consoles relevant to you now?
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2BloatedSquirrelPosted 2/26/2014 1:37:54 PM
My PCs always give out one way or another, and I've had good luck with consoles. So I just stick with consoles... for now, until I somehow have spare money to build an awesome gaming rig.. then I will enjoy both.
---
"We laugh in the face of love, because nobody's really there."
#3Troll_DirectoryPosted 2/26/2014 1:42:44 PM
exclusive game experiences. i was pc gaming as far back as when screens were green or amber. but, console gaming brought me the most gaming milestones that have made the biggest impressions. pc is no slouch, but the volume of great gaming moments i could only have on a console adds up and towers tall.
#4EllesarienPosted 2/26/2014 1:46:46 PM(edited)
I like a mixture of the experiences between PC and console and the disposable income to enjoy both.

I just couldn't see having the same blast on a PC with DR3 that I am having on the X-1.

Oh...and I love sports games...so a no-brainer there.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#5geodANGERPosted 2/26/2014 1:49:12 PM
Because I would never buy a actually computer that is not Apple.

Which is funny because I am totally dedicated to the xbox brand. Owning a 360 and xbox one day one edition.

I guess my brand loyalties are weird because I also would never own samsung phone yet I have 4 samsung TVs.
---
http://bfbcs.com/stats_360/geodanger25
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/stats/360/geodanger25
#6ImThe8thWonderPosted 2/26/2014 1:50:45 PM
I have a gaming PC, but usually, I prefer consoles. Consoles tend to be cheaper, I prefer controllers to the KB&M, I don't have to troubleshoot issues since Sony/MS/Nintendo does that for me, and certain features/media are more streamlined on consoles. This is all my opinion, of course.
---
PS4~XB1~PS3~XB360~PS2~PS1~PS Vita~Wii~Wii U~DS~3DS~Super NES~N64~PC
Not everyone with a difference of opinion or that offers criticisms is a troll.
#7SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2014 1:51:38 PM
I'm a gushy type of Pokemon. I mean, man.

But that thrown by the wayside, I just want to let you know the first three responses are all pretty damned decent. Nice one, chaps.

It's difficult to quantify sometimes; I personally work in a place where colleagues are so cold, logical and damning about it - if you are not gaming on PC, then - why are you being so nuts?!

I don't think you can "get it" if you've never been an avid console gamer, and I think that's all it boils down to. That's not derisive or of detrimental effect to anyone exclusively PC, but I think that's the crux.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#8assassin10133Posted 2/26/2014 1:55:54 PM
Mostly for the exclusives for me, and when I originally started console gaming it was also cuz it was just way simpler, stick the disc in and play. Also didn't have to worry about whether or not the console has good enough specs to play the latest game
#92ndAtomiskPosted 2/26/2014 1:57:14 PM
I have a pretty decent PC. It can run Tera and Blade & Soul at max settings for example. Occassionally I do play Skyrim on it (mostly whenever I see a mod I'd like to try out). But I guess I mostly game on consoles simply because that's what I have more experience with, so I tend to enjoy it more I guess.

And not to mention, only one of my friends has a gaming PC. So when getting together for multiplayer sessions and what have you, we automatically default to consoles.
---
I'm gonna cut out your eyes and piss in the ****ing sockets! ~ Kaine
http://abload.de/img/zeronailed4xz8o.gif
#10gohoanqPosted 2/26/2014 1:59:21 PM
Mostly because I can't afford a good gaming PC lol I think if I would have ignored this gen I could have gotten a somewhat decent one.. but I just can't see myself without a console anymore, let alone ignoring a new gen. :/
---
---
"Bad biscuits make the baker broke bro" - Jake the Dog.