Snowden Leaks: XBOX KINECT Camera Targeted by Intelligence Services; Mass Webcam

#1PhantasmShotPosted 2/27/2014 7:23:36 PM
80/80

"Snowden Leaks: XBOX KINECT CAMERA Targeted by Intelligence Services; Mass Collection of Webcam Feeds"

It was all true.
Everything they posted about, all that "hyperbole" about the Kinect camera, turned out to be the case. We have a physical document that explicitly states that it was and is all true.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo

Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal. [...] a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

>Optic Nerve was just one of a series of GCHQ efforts at biometric detection, whether for target recognition or general security. [...] One presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

> the NSA looked at building more detailed and accurate facial recognition tools, such as iris recognition cameras "think Tom Cruise in Minority Report", one presentation noted.

---
"Lightning Returns is still better than Bravely Default so no." - User 'furygods'
3DS FC: 3136-6746-8956. PM me if you add me
#2skermacPosted 2/27/2014 7:27:28 PM
PhantasmShot posted...
80/80

"Snowden Leaks: XBOX KINECT CAMERA Targeted by Intelligence Services; Mass Collection of Webcam Feeds"

It was all true.
Everything they posted about, all that "hyperbole" about the Kinect camera, turned out to be the case. We have a physical document that explicitly states that it was and is all true.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo

Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal. [...] a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

>Optic Nerve was just one of a series of GCHQ efforts at biometric detection, whether for target recognition or general security. [...] One presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

> the NSA looked at building more detailed and accurate facial recognition tools, such as iris recognition cameras "think Tom Cruise in Minority Report", one presentation noted.

Where are all the posters that said months ago this was fake and we were paranoid for even thinking such a thing. Looks like they were wrong. We are being spied on.

The real reason MS doesn't make the Kinect optional is the Dept of Homeland Security asked them not to.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#3PoweredMilkManPosted 2/27/2014 7:28:08 PM
Herpaderp, getting my tinfoil hat. Hope they like watching me wack it.
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU - bloodandbourbon
#4GrizzmeisterPosted 2/27/2014 7:30:15 PM
From the article:

While the documents do not detail efforts as widescale as those against Yahoo users, one presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

If Microsoft doesn't take GCHQ and the NSA to court the Xbox One is toast.
---
Speaking on condition of anonymity.
#5JeDDyDPosted 2/27/2014 7:30:36 PM
waiting to see how the fanboys spin this one
---
"Purple Monkey Dishwasher"
#6PoweredMilkManPosted 2/27/2014 7:30:38 PM
Problem Sloved
http://www.pdp.com/Kinect-TV-Mount-Xbox-One/dp/B00FYMTUQY
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU - bloodandbourbon
#7UhColdPosted 2/27/2014 7:35:37 PM
JeDDyD posted...
waiting to see how the fanboys spin this one

---
GT: Uh Cold
YouTube.com/UhColdHD
#8gohoanqPosted 2/27/2014 7:36:11 PM
PoweredMilkMan posted...

Tinfoil hat only applies to crazy conspiracy theories... This is actual fact. You can not give a crap all you want but don't try and downplay it like that. Snowden is the person that brought all this BS to light in the first place.
---
---
"Bad biscuits make the baker broke bro" - Jake the Dog.
#9BrownGottiPosted 2/27/2014 7:37:02 PM
You guys are worried about Kinect while there is an active internet enabled, gps tracking, always on camera and microphone within arms reach 90% of your day.

Fact!
#10ElPolloDiablo87Posted 2/27/2014 7:38:54 PM
gohoanq posted...
PoweredMilkMan posted...

Tinfoil hat only applies to crazy conspiracy theories... This is actual fact. You can not give a crap all you want but don't try and downplay it like that. Snowden is the person that brought all this BS to light in the first place.
---

What is actual fact is that they may have at one time considered it.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA