Snowden Leaks: XBOX KINECT Camera Targeted by Intelligence Services; Mass Webcam

#251Cornbread4lifePosted 2/28/2014 11:01:29 AM
Didn't feel like reading the whole article, but I control f'd the article for "xbox" and this is all I got:

"While the documents do not detail efforts as widescale as those against Yahoo users, one presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

Documents previously revealed in the Guardian showed the NSA were exploring the video capabilities of game consoles for surveillance purposes.

Microsoft, the maker of Xbox, faced a privacy backlash last year when details emerged that the camera bundled with its new console, the Xbox One, would be always-on by default."

I'm not seeing it say anywhere that they're actively using the Kinect for that, just that they were considering it. Did I miss a line somewhere?

Again, I didn't read the whole article. Also, I sure as hell didn't read 25 pages of posts which I'm sure were probably 99% insults being thrown back and forth.
---
GT: Cornbread4life
#252Juzten76Posted 2/28/2014 11:04:26 AM
My phone has a camera. So does yours.
#253EnclavePosted 2/28/2014 11:10:00 AM
Why is it when this subject comes up there's always at least one person who starts talking about cell phones? It's just not a good comparison.

I monitor my phones battery usage, it's not listening in on me when it's in my pocket, its camera isn't active except when I activiate it, it's not doing anything without my knowing and I keep its gps off except when I need it. I do this to extend the battery life as much as possible and if these functions were being used without my knowledge then my battery life would be impacted and thus I'd know.

Not to mention, I don't put any sensitive data on my phone and nor do I do banking or anything else of the sort on it.

It's just completely different from a camera sitting in my living room or bedroom 24/7.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#254Evel138Posted 2/28/2014 11:17:39 AM(edited)
MGSV_1O8Op posted...
Evel138 posted...
lol

You can save your hyperbole and your pm's, bud....not impressed.......

lol this guy is the definition of an ostrich.

He was was presented with facts, a screen cap he couldn't deny or play down, and all his response was was "hurr durr hyperbole". I suppose that's one way to bury your head when shown facts that shoot down your claim that there's no real difference between the consoles.

You know, I was tempted to play the game a bit, but I'm actually offended that you actually seem to think that i dontI know to whom I speak. (I knew the moment you felt the need to pm me lol).

You see, I notice things....patterns....similarities......coincidences......

There is only one person here I know that when you converse with them, you get the sense they are an adult (we're creeping up on 30 right....27....28 iirc), but still somehow comes across as if they are 10 years old. This certain mix of the hyperbolic and petulant, with a healthy dose juvenile provocation.

You can just stop now lol.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#2558waystomondayPosted 2/28/2014 11:16:16 AM
Enclave posted...
Why is it when this subject comes up there's always at least one person who starts talking about cell phones? It's just not a good comparison.

I monitor my phones battery usage, it's not listening in on me when it's in my pocket, its camera isn't active except when I activiate it, it's not doing anything without my knowing and I keep its gps off except when I need it. I do this to extend the battery life as much as possible and if these functions were being used without my knowledge then my battery life would be impacted and thus I'd know.

Not to mention, I don't put any sensitive data on my phone and nor do I do banking or anything else of the sort on it.

It's just completely different from a camera sitting in my living room or bedroom 24/7.

If you are using iphone the gov still has not hacked the imessage encryption so atleast that is safe
#256archibald3Posted 2/28/2014 11:22:46 AM
Enclave posted...

Your phone isn`t always on ? It doesn`t have sensitive data in it ? Well maybe your the 1 in a million but most peoples phone has a lot of sensitive data in it , including pictures , phone numbers , emails , names [and phone numbers] , messages etc. Most peoples are also on the internet constantly as well. You do know it`s not just "cameras" that are vunerable right ?
#257SoulTrapperPosted 2/28/2014 11:25:44 AM
archibald3 posted...

Your phone isn`t always on ? It doesn`t have sensitive data in it ? Well maybe your the 1 in a million but most peoples phone has a lot of sensitive data in it , including pictures , phone numbers , emails , names [and phone numbers] , messages etc. Most peoples are also on the internet constantly as well. You do know it`s not just "cameras" that are vunerable right ?

So you agree that the Microsoft/NSA cooperation is a huge issue?
#258robert_rangersuPosted 2/28/2014 11:28:12 AM
If people want to watch me masturbate then they can go right ahead.
---
Couldn't care less = you don't care one single bit.
Could care less = you do care, at least a little.
#259SteelToothPosted 2/28/2014 11:36:57 AM
SoulTrapper posted...

Sure, just as much as the Google/NSA cooperation, Apple/NSA cooperation, Amazon/NSA cooperation, Verizon/NSA cooperation, AT&T/NSA cooperation, and T-Mobile/NSA cooperation.
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
#260SoulTrapperPosted 2/28/2014 11:39:59 AM
SteelTooth posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

Sure, just as much as the Google/NSA cooperation, Apple/NSA cooperation, Amazon/NSA cooperation, Verizon/NSA cooperation, AT&T/NSA cooperation, and T-Mobile/NSA cooperation.

Exactly, although not related to this board, there are a ton of companies that don't deserve your trust or your money, let alone your personal data.