Microsoft Responds To Spying Allegations Involving Xbox Kinect

#1skermacPosted 2/28/2014 2:17:49 PM(edited)
Microsoft was reached by Eurogamer for a comment on the involvement of Kinect being used to spy on people, and here's what the Micro 'S' spokesperson had to say...

Microsoft has never heard of this program," "However, we're concerned about any reports of governments surreptitiously collecting private customer data. That's why in December we initiated a broad effort to expand encryption across our services and are advocating for legal reforms."

Whether you trust Microsoft or not, Kinect has already been data mined and has been part of a long-running NSA program that utilized some of the advanced features of Kinect's camera to store and log biometric feedback data on users, as well as audio and chat logs, along with IP address information.

While Microsoft may be claiming that your data is protected and they have no part in whatever happens by whichever spy agency decides to pool data from one of their devices in your home, take note that just having Kinect in your home and plugged in automatically makes you a potential victim for digital privacy invasion.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Microsoft-Responds-Spying-Allegations-Involving-Xbox-Kinect-62536.html
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2DarkHolesPosted 2/28/2014 2:24:22 PM
Do you really give a ****? Stop jumping on bs that only ponys seem to care about. You do realise the ps cam poses the same exact problems yes?
Remember you can always dis-kinect! (credit goes to someone else lol.)
#3YomonachiPosted 2/28/2014 2:24:48 PM
I love when companies say they've never heard of such a thing. Come now, you've heard of it silly.
---
1st in the State (Again), 13th in the Nation :) PSN: Soruichi_Kitty
"Try laughing some more."
#4quincy2000aPosted 2/28/2014 2:30:17 PM
DarkHoles posted...
Do you really give a ****? Stop jumping on bs that only ponys seem to care about. You do realise the ps cam poses the same exact problems yes?

Yes, but you don't have to buy the Sony camera, do you?

Not an issue for me either way--my Kinect never has been connected (but not for the security issues)..
#5DarkHolesPosted 2/28/2014 2:34:36 PM
quincy2000a posted...
DarkHoles posted...

Yes, but you don't have to buy the Sony camera, do you?

Not an issue for me either way--my Kinect never has been connected (but not for the security issues)..

No you dont but as you just said do you have to connect your kinect?
#6MRL3G3NDPosted 2/28/2014 2:35:23 PM
lmao what else did you expect them to say...yeah we're down with that ish..please buy our product
---
TITANFALL+GOOD MUSIC
http://youtu.be/QmwqqAq0GxM
#7AnakeriePosted 2/28/2014 2:37:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
---
GT: CrampedSultana
Pawn: Zarianna
#8BSerenityPosted 2/28/2014 2:39:19 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
lmao what else did you expect them to say...yeah we're down with that ish..please buy our product

Exactly.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#9chex81Posted 2/28/2014 2:43:09 PM
LOL @ people who think because they arent using an X1 that NSA isn't watching them...if you have a mobile phone, you're being watched.
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU: chex81
#10VoelgerPosted 2/28/2014 2:46:54 PM
Who cares? I say let them spy! What are they going to see? I'm no terrorist, nor am i a model. I frankly don't care if they watched me all day.
---
Posted with GameRaven 1.2.0