The problem with exclusives like Titanfall

#13HPPosted 2/28/2014 11:00:38 PM(edited)
I really think it would benefit gamers more if these types of payed exclusives, timed or otherwise, didn't exist. The money that MS payed EA could have been spent employing more first party developers for in-house exclusives which would lead to more games for us gamers.

It is a really lazy business model to wait until you see a third party studio with an amazing game halfway through development and just throw a pile of money at them. It shows that MS doesn't want to take risks.

Just to clarify, I am only talking about projects that would have still come to fruition WITHOUT any involvement from MS/Sony.
#2Lawboy2Posted 2/28/2014 10:47:33 PM
3HP posted...
I really think it would benefit gamers more of these types of payed exclusives, timed or otherwise, didn't exist. The money that MS payed EA could have been spent employing more first party developers for in-house exclusives which would lead to more games for us gamers.

It is a really lazy business model to wait until you see a third party studio with an amazing game halfway through development and just throw a pile of money at them. It shows that MS doesn't want to take risks.

Just to clarify, I am only talking about projects that would have still come to fruition WITHOUT any involvement from MS/Sony.

Buy an xbox and stop crying...nobody is crying about warframe being a timed exclusive on ps4...geez
#33HP(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2014 10:49:29 PM
Lawboy2 posted...
3HP posted...
I really think it would benefit gamers more of these types of payed exclusives, timed or otherwise, didn't exist. The money that MS payed EA could have been spent employing more first party developers for in-house exclusives which would lead to more games for us gamers.

Buy an xbox and stop crying...nobody is crying about warframe being a timed exclusive on ps4...geez

How to reading comprehension? I was clearly talking about MS and Sony, i was just using Titanfall as an example. I would rather both companies spend that money on new projects.
#4Apex-PlayerPosted 2/28/2014 11:00:22 PM
I agree with this also, buying games that should be multiplat is a cheap tactic.

If Sony sweeps this generation with a 2-5/1 ratio of ps4s, how would everyone feel if they told developers
"Make it ps4 exclusive or your game won't release on our console"
Doubt Sony would do that, but if MS keeps using cheap methods for exclusive IPs, why should Sony continue to play fair if they have the lions share of the market.

What developers would refuse if Sony had that kind of ratio and decided to use it as weight?
None, because doing so would reduce the chances of any profit to pathetic levels.

MS does these things, so Sony will end up doing them back, only ones who lose are consumers and developers.
---
PSN/ Comfort_Cat
#5FinzFan4lifePosted 3/1/2014 3:16:38 AM
Apex-Player posted...
I agree with this also, buying games that should be multiplat is a cheap tactic.

If Sony sweeps this generation with a 2-5/1 ratio of ps4s, how would everyone feel if they told developers
"Make it ps4 exclusive or your game won't release on our console"
Doubt Sony would do that, but if MS keeps using cheap methods for exclusive IPs, why should Sony continue to play fair if they have the lions share of the market.

What developers would refuse if Sony had that kind of ratio and decided to use it as weight?
None, because doing so would reduce the chances of any profit to pathetic levels.

MS does these things, so Sony will end up doing them back, only ones who lose are consumers and developers.

They would need more leverage then that Sony making a threat like that is dangerous to them as well if they are not getting games MS sales will jump,

And although it's close now sales gap will narrow after the misplaced hype for PS4 dies down and it will never reach that margin.
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012
#6chrish909Posted 3/1/2014 3:56:07 AM
Ms payed the company for titanfall to release on their consoles.
sony payed the company for uncharted to release on their consoles.

Every game cant release on every console.
---
This is why I'm never going to get a ps4
http://www.destructoid.com/fact-ps3-fanboys-are-the-worst-149259.phtml
#7NeoMonkPosted 3/1/2014 3:59:47 AM
For every 1 PS4 owner that wants titanfall there's 1 that doesn't.
For every 1 PS4 owner that wants titanfall there's 1 that has a xbox one or will buy an xbox one to play it.

The fact is that the opinions on the other end are mixed, sure xbox one owners are extactic for a game they should have gotten at launch and there's nothing to be taken away from their wait.
But the fact that is an exclusive or not makes lil difference to those who already own a PS4.

Will it drive people who haven't dipped into the "next gen consoles" to buy a xb1 over a ps4? perhaps!

Only time will tell.
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#8xninjagrrlPosted 3/1/2014 4:02:02 AM
Aren't warframe and titanfall on PC? It's not like you don't have options.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#9NeoMonkPosted 3/1/2014 4:04:06 AM
xninjagrrl posted...
Aren't warframe and titanfall on PC? It's not like you don't have options.
PCs don't exist in the console war world we currently live in. You're not using a PC by any chance are you? think well before you reply! *gets sword ready*
---
"The Xbox One board isn't the place for personal anecdotes, joke topics or fanboy affair." Gamefaqs Moderator
#10Spetsnaz420Posted 3/1/2014 4:32:46 AM
chrish909 posted...
Ms payed the company for titanfall to release on their consoles.
sony payed the company for uncharted to release on their consoles.

Every game cant release on every console.

LOL you still don't know the difference between first party and third party studios? Not surprising
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?