Digital Foundry compares Thief (Xbox win?)

#81BSerenityPosted 3/1/2014 10:44:17 AM
da_StoOge posted...
Well regardless, it seems those texture loading issues only occur during the transition from gameplay to cutscene, and only briefly.

So hopefully it's not like Gears of War 1 where every texture in the game would take 10 seconds to load.

That's my problem with these comparisons, they highlight differences like that but don't always take the time to explain just how much of your play time that's going to be an issue.

Maybe they do a better job in their video comparison, but I can't get that working on my phone.
Still, I'd like it if they could somehow explain just how many times the X1 version would drop to 20 FPS in an average half an hour of gameplay, or just how frequently texture streaming was apparent on the PS4.

XBO version was having shadow pop in problems, but was never mentioned. I wish developers would move on from that horrible UE3 engine anyways.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#82da_StoOge(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 10:48:09 AM
I don't think I ever even noticed what engine a game was running on until the awful UE3 cropped up.

I can't not see it. It ruins all but a small handful of games for me. Even borderlands suffers from the engines trademark blurry background textures.

I hate that engine with a passion.
---
My sig. Please don't mark it as being offensive.
#83curtlandPosted 3/1/2014 10:48:52 AM
BSerenity posted...
da_StoOge posted...
Well regardless, it seems those texture loading issues only occur during the transition from gameplay to cutscene, and only briefly.

So hopefully it's not like Gears of War 1 where every texture in the game would take 10 seconds to load.

That's my problem with these comparisons, they highlight differences like that but don't always take the time to explain just how much of your play time that's going to be an issue.

Maybe they do a better job in their video comparison, but I can't get that working on my phone.
Still, I'd like it if they could somehow explain just how many times the X1 version would drop to 20 FPS in an average half an hour of gameplay, or just how frequently texture streaming was apparent on the PS4.

XBO version was having shadow pop in problems, but was never mentioned. I wish developers would move on from that horrible UE3 engine anyways.

I think the Unreal Engine was actually very serviceable for a very long time. I don't think it was/is bad, just out of date now.
---
Only idoits can't spell.
#84HighwayPilotPosted 3/1/2014 12:10:50 PM(edited)
da_StoOge posted...
I don't think I ever even noticed what engine a game was running on until the awful UE3 cropped up.
Same here. One consoles it's a terrible engine.

I think they should've gone with 900p on PS4 too. That would probably have been enough to keep the framerate constantly above 30. Unless you can natively run it at a lower resolution like on the PS3.
#85BSerenityPosted 3/1/2014 12:22:37 PM
HighwayPilot posted...
da_StoOge posted...
Same here. One consoles it's a terrible engine.

I think they should've gone with 900p on PS4 too. That would probably have been enough to keep the framerate constantly above 30. Unless you can natively run it at a lower resolution like on the PS3.

The problem is poor optimization. There is nothing in Thief that is hugely taxing especially in light of the PS4's power.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#86krystylaPosted 3/1/2014 12:24:04 PM
mike468 posted...
krystyla posted...
I say it quite frequently recently just because the PS4 is stronger than the XBO doesn't make it strong at all, they are both weak and as MS and Sony went the PC route you simply get a 400$ PC maybe a bit stronger because of optimization.

True. i also feel MS will have the edge later on the in console life cycle. Where both system's games will start to need to make sacrifices. MS is pushing 2x anti aliasing on all games regardless. It's already starting to show better results over the PS4, with games that have poor optimization like Thief. Just goes to show that MS knows what they are doing. Regardless of what the naysayers and fanboys want to say.

I hope we won't care by then.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Schreckstoff
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#87TheSilentRavenPosted 3/1/2014 2:07:11 PM
I would've paid $100-300 more for better specs on either system.
#88BIu-rayPosted 3/1/2014 2:13:25 PM
TheSilentRaven posted...
I would've paid $100-300 more for better specs on either system.

And then you could have enjoyed watching them have no support because sales of either would never reach 2m worldwide.
#89DarkAdonis123Posted 3/1/2014 3:20:19 PM
chrish909 posted...
Not surprising, ps4 and their community is utter trash

So much irony here.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#90DarkAdonis123Posted 3/1/2014 3:24:04 PM
Conclusion? Thief isn't worth your money on any platform. It's a poorly made game, and it shows. There's absolutely no reason for it to run sub 30fps on PS3/360, let alone PS4/Xbone.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue