We have to start a petition or something against Stephen Elop

#21SoulTrapperPosted 3/2/2014 2:23:44 AM
People don't really seem to understand what "making a division successful" actually means.

His job is trying to make sure the division makes as much money as possible to please investors.

If spinning off the xbox division is the fastest way of doing this, that's what he'll do.

Making it successful doesn't mean making sure it stays alive or within the company.
#22Spetsnaz420Posted 3/2/2014 5:02:52 AM
BDJayce posted...
You do know petitions are useless these days, right?

I can't recall the last time a petition was successful in making anything happen. "Secede from the United States!" "Get rid of Bieber" "My wall is blue.. I want it to be red.. but I don't have any red paint.. it's a conspiracy against the color red!"

I thought we Canadians winning the gold in hockey meant you guys had to keep him...
---
I don't conform to social convention
PS4 or Xbox... Why not Zoidberg?
#23BeefEasterPosted 3/2/2014 5:17:55 AM
I don't blame him for wanting to sell off the xbox division

the announcement of the xbox one and subsequent policy reversals basically made MS in to a villain

and on top of that, post launch sales are extremely low

when an appendage becomes diseased, you amputate
---
I play with dolls: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/003_zps64d8bdd3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/BeefEaster/001_zps33d21332.jpg
#24Orange_ApplesPosted 3/2/2014 6:21:44 AM
Well, that division also includes Windows Phones and Surface Tablets. He could make the decision to cut one of the branches to save the other two. Not saying he will, but it is an option.

Surface would probably go first though...
#25Orange_ApplesPosted 3/2/2014 6:24:39 AM(edited)
Spetsnaz420 posted...
BDJayce posted...
You do know petitions are useless these days, right?

I can't recall the last time a petition was successful in making anything happen. "Secede from the United States!" "Get rid of Bieber" "My wall is blue.. I want it to be red.. but I don't have any red paint.. it's a conspiracy against the color red!"

I thought we Canadians winning the gold in hockey meant you guys had to keep him...

I thought the billboard was only put up in Canada. If so then we made no such agreement and you need to clean up your mess, not just throw it on our side of the fence.
#26slyman19Posted 3/2/2014 1:33:53 PM
SoulTrapper posted...
People don't really seem to understand what "making a division successful" actually means.

His job is trying to make sure the division makes as much money as possible to please investors.

If spinning off the xbox division is the fastest way of doing this, that's what he'll do.

Making it successful doesn't mean making sure it stays alive or within the company.

You have no idea how businesses work, do you?
#27HiddenRoarPosted 3/2/2014 3:23:02 PM
slyman19 posted...
You have no idea how businesses work, do you?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/177245-microsoft-appoints-chief-nokia-wrecker-stephen-elop-to-head-xbox-division

Wikipedia summarizes this nicely. “During the 3 years Elop was Nokia CEO, Nokia revenues fell 40%, Nokia profits fell 95%, Nokia market share collapsed in smartphones from 34% to 3.4%, Nokia’s credit rating went from A to junk, Nokia’s share price dropped 60% in value and Nokia’s market capitalization lost 13 Billion dollars in value. The Financial Times calculated that Nokia shareholders ended up paying Elop a bonus of 1 million Euros for every 1.5 billion in market capital that Elop was able to destroy while Nokia CEO.”

Apparently you don't know as well as the guy who's the actual CEO.