The Cloud

#1auntfafajkPosted 3/1/2014 8:38:08 PM
What exactly is the cloud? Why did people expect it to be so powerful? Why did it not meet expectations? Will it meet expectations? I understand that it involves storing data and servers, but what else?
---
I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
#2bessy67Posted 3/1/2014 8:41:26 PM
Playing PvZ (on EA servers) after playing the Titanfall beta (on MS Azure servers) has me completely sold on cloud servers.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3L96A1BOSSPosted 3/1/2014 8:42:09 PM
The few who was smart enough to not get fool by this marketing plot got a PS4 and not fall to this magical could and if you been gaming for atleast the last 15 years you should know better.
#4DarkReign2022Posted 3/1/2014 8:43:03 PM
In meteorology, a cloud is a visible mass made of water droplets or various chemicals suspended in the atmosphere above the surface of a planet. Cloud formation is the result of air in Earth's atmosphere becoming saturated due to two processes:

1. Cooling of the air
2. Adding water vapor.

With enough saturation, precipitation, or rain, will begin to return to the planet to begin the cycle again.
#5L96A1BOSSPosted 3/1/2014 8:47:34 PM(edited)
bessy67 posted...
Playing PvZ (on EA servers) after playing the Titanfall beta (on MS Azure servers) has me completely sold on cloud servers.

Good luck getting people to believe in your opinion. A server is a server M$ don't have magical better server than any other company out here.
#6Laylow12Posted 3/1/2014 8:45:12 PM
Lets see what the experts say:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

Yep, it's PR and nothing more.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#7DarkReign2022Posted 3/1/2014 8:53:41 PM
In a perfect world, the cloud has the ability to be everything Microsoft has promised it to be and more. The fact of the matter is, however, not enough people have the ability to effectively utilize it in any meaningful way. To be able to enhance the hardware beyond it's determined output, you would need to have a consistently strong connection to a fast internet connection with completely unlimited bandwidth capacity, something the majority of the world does not have at the moment (even major population areas in America are looking toward having bandwidth caps placed on their services). The face that companies like Sony and Microsoft are pushing for all-digital distribution when having 20 or 40 GB caps could completely ruin everything. Streaming something like Azure consistently over your network while playing a game like Destiny wouldn't stand a chance with those limitations.
#8RaRitsujunPosted 3/1/2014 9:04:16 PM
auntfafajk posted...
What exactly is the cloud? Why did people expect it to be so powerful? Why did it not meet expectations? Will it meet expectations? I understand that it involves storing data and servers, but what else?

The power of teh clOuDz could make your Xbone 4 times more powerful!!!
http://www.develop-online.net/news/microsoft-cloud-makes-xbox-one-four-times-more-powerful/0114948
---
18735 XBL Gamerscores | 45 PSN Platinums - Level 25 | 7101 AppleGC pts
Demon's Souls and DARK SOULS are the real videogames.
#9jamamaw_gustavPosted 3/1/2014 9:36:00 PM
The blast processing of 2014
#10BSerenityPosted 3/1/2014 9:39:43 PM
On this board it brings tons of this...

http://imageshack.com/a/img197/6056/jcfz.gif
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.