Kinect is to XBOX 1 what Blu-Ray was to PS3...

#11spacejamjordanzPosted 3/2/2014 10:15:24 AM
CMX5 posted...
MonicasBack posted...
Faster but with a 2x drive wasnt it? I think thats why PS3 had such long load times and some mandatory installs.

I wonder what speed the bone and ps4 blu ray drive is.

They're 6x I think.

PS4 has a 6X drive, because they released the complete detailed specs right after the reveal.

I am not sure what the Xbox One has.
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II>
#12Troll_DirectoryPosted 3/2/2014 10:18:42 AM
Full Throttle posted...
I think people are waiting to see exactly what the Kinect is doing for games since people were seeing what blu-ray was doing for its games which ultimately didn't pan out to much except having no multiple discs.

So basically it's really up to microsoft to come up with something fast if they want consumers to believe the kinect is truly the next great revolution to gaming other than so far having it listen to you turn on or off the machine and browse through the menus. This was clearly put in to cater to families though
i wonder what 599USD has inflated to today.
#13angry_cowtipperPosted 3/2/2014 10:51:28 AM
Full Throttle posted...
I think people are waiting to see exactly what the Kinect is doing for games since people were seeing what blu-ray was doing for its games which ultimately didn't pan out to much except having no multiple discs.

So basically it's really up to microsoft to come up with something fast if they want consumers to believe the kinect is truly the next great revolution to gaming other than so far having it listen to you turn on or off the machine and browse through the menus. This was clearly put in to cater to families though

Nope. We decided we didn't want Kinect-type controls last gen.
---
Batman: AO, TF2, Spelunky, Broforce (PC); ACIV (PS4); Tearaway, Ecolibrium (Vita); Stay Alight (AND); Gears Judgment (360); Fire Emblem (3DS)
#14PHOENIXZEROPosted 3/2/2014 12:59:09 PM(edited)
Blu-Ray's primary benefit was Sony and their partners winning a format war before it really got started which is probably the entire reason Sony went with it even though doing so played a major part in the console being $500/$600. It was arguably the best or one of the best Blu-Ray player on the market for the first year or two though.

For games, eh... The only reason the XB360 early on didn't have frequent mandatory installs was because they split the install base with the "Arcade" model. If MS didn't do that then the XB360 likely would have had them too just like the XBO and PS4 do now. Still, from a gaming standpoint it would've been better to go with DVD (despite the PS3 then losing higher quality audio and video for in game media that some developers took advantage of) though the difference isn't as big once how Blu-Ray and DVD read discs into account, it's still there.

But Kinect? The only reason why so many people owned on last generation is because MS started packing it in with the console and for whatever reason decided to continue to try and push it onto people again despite how it and other decisions negatively impacted their console.

Troll_Directory posted...
Full Throttle posted...

i wonder what 599USD has inflated to today.

$599.99 in 2006 would be worth almost $100 more today.