Most SNES games ran at a lower resolution and speed than Genesis games. But...

#11Duke_of_NukePosted 3/3/2014 7:12:26 AM
This guy seems to have forgotten the bit wars. Graphics have mattered since the NES days.
---
Life's a joke and you are the punchline.
#12BraveDogBFGPosted 3/3/2014 7:13:44 AM
You are talking about the early days of gaming. Noone was talking about graphics in the early 90s!
#13Duke_of_NukePosted 3/3/2014 7:14:56 AM
Oh and Genesis always had terrible multi plats compared to the SNES which is why the SNES dominated that gen so it's a terrible comparison to try and make your point with.
---
#14Duke_of_NukePosted 3/3/2014 7:19:21 AM
BraveDogBFG posted...
You are talking about the early days of gaming. Noone was talking about graphics in the early 90s!

LOL you clearly didn't game in the 90s if you think that.
---
#15adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 7:43:05 AM
Duke_of_Nuke posted...
Oh and Genesis always had terrible multi plats compared to the SNES which is why the SNES dominated that gen so it's a terrible comparison to try and make your point with.

Not true. Thunder Force III/Thunder Spirits ran better on Genesis, and SFII Turbo/Championship Edition is debatable... I personally think the Genesis version is leagues better than the SNES version. There are many other examples out there.

Not to mention, nearly all of EA's games ran way better on Genesis than SNES. In fact, nearly every sports game ran better on Genesis. NBA Jam also ran better on Genesis.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691 | Check out my profile for the list of consoles I own.
#16adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2014 7:48:05 AM
Duke_of_Nuke posted...
This guy seems to have forgotten the bit wars. Graphics have mattered since the NES days.

This guy seems to have forgotten how to read.

I'm not saying graphics don't matter. In fact, I'm saying the opposite of that: the actual in-game graphics have always been *more* important than just the resolution and framerate.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691 | Check out my profile for the list of consoles I own.
#17AsellusPosted 3/3/2014 8:24:07 AM
Additionally, the CPU speed of the Genesis was VASTLY superior to that of the SNES. The SNES was capable of 1.79-3.58 MHz, the Genesis ran at 7.67 MHz.

Comparing the clock speeds of unrelated cpus is fairly meaningless. Different chips do different amounts of work per clock cycle.

Genesis games could generally have far more sprites rendered simultaneously on screen without slowing down, and at a higher resolution.

No... according to your own source there the SNES had the advantage there at 128 to 80 simultaneous sprites along with being able to handle sprites 4x as large.

This led to many inferior SNES ports of games.

... such as? I'm not saying they don't exist but as someone who grew up with both I can certainly attest that for games that came out on both the SNES versions almost invariably looked better. Try comparing say the SNES and Genesis versions of Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat.
#18Fade2black001Posted 3/3/2014 8:29:44 AM
Asellus posted...
Additionally, the CPU speed of the Genesis was VASTLY superior to that of the SNES. The SNES was capable of 1.79-3.58 MHz, the Genesis ran at 7.67 MHz.

Comparing the clock speeds of unrelated cpus is fairly meaningless. Different chips do different amounts of work per clock cycle.

Genesis games could generally have far more sprites rendered simultaneously on screen without slowing down, and at a higher resolution.

No... according to your own source there the SNES had the advantage there at 128 to 80 simultaneous sprites along with being able to handle sprites 4x as large.

This led to many inferior SNES ports of games.

... such as? I'm not saying they don't exist but as someone who grew up with both I can certainly attest that for games that came out on both the SNES versions almost invariably looked better. Try comparing say the SNES and Genesis versions of Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat.

Of course the Genesis could do that. It had Blast Processing
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#19JonbazookabozPosted 3/3/2014 8:30:42 AM
So what your saying is- is that the Xbone is the next Genesis, the Wii u is the next Snes and the ps4 is....well....um...3DO!
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#20B1GB0SS_86Posted 3/3/2014 8:42:21 AM
loafy013 posted...
Yeah, no matter the specs, the SNES will always be better in my mind since Street Fighter 2 is the only game I ever saw on both machines in person, and the genesis one looked worse IMO. In those days, I would always recommend the SNES as the system of choice, unless you wanted sports games, then go for the Genesis.

It did look worse but it performed better on genesis and was faster.