Most SNES games ran at a lower resolution and speed than Genesis games. But...

#41billsfanno1Posted 3/3/2014 6:59:29 PM
Well TC, you were transparent about being a PS4/WiiU owner and made an interesting reflection on parallels between generations. It was largely well received. Recognize that it isn't X1 owners taking you to task now, you're being called out by the SDF for insubordination.
#42LordcrabfoodPosted 3/3/2014 7:30:57 PM
I had a genesis and snes. Snes games almost always looked better. I preferred the genesis though because of the games. I have a ps4 and X1, its the same story again. I prefer X1 because of the games. Honestly, the games are all that matters in the end.
#43SinisterSlayPosted 3/3/2014 8:42:59 PM
Some late game SNES had really good graphics. Games like Treasure of the rudras had very impressive sprite work.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#44SolisPosted 3/3/2014 11:27:21 PM
This is a very poor comparison, because while the Genesis had a slight advantage in processing speed (although I'd like to see a source that suggests that SNES games were typically running at 256x224), the SNES had phenomenal advantage in actual graphical features. There is no such case between current consoles: one is flat out superior to the other. The resolution difference is BECAUSE one system simply offers better performance, and that same performance can be used for other features instead (such as a higher framerate). One system won't magically catch up to another when there's a distinct difference in actual hardware capabilities between them, it's like expecting a GTX 660 to match a GTX 680.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#45Jami393Posted 3/3/2014 11:36:36 PM
TC this console generation is much older than four months due to the release of the Wii U in 2012, still nice post
#46RagnarokxvPosted 3/4/2014 12:56:19 AM
If you're trying to compare a supposedly HD console to a console that is over 20 years old; when HD didn't even exist and display technology was completely different, you are deluded.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#47newbie2007Posted 3/4/2014 1:08:03 AM
Gamers has a very different tastes and information now than they had 20 years ago. It's hard to compare the two periods. Not only more information are available due to the internet, the gamer demographics also changed a lot.

BTW, the power differences between SNES and Genesis is minimal.
#48adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 4:45:47 PM
Ragnarokxv posted...
If you're trying to compare a supposedly HD console to a console that is over 20 years old; when HD didn't even exist and display technology was completely different, you are deluded.

So? Run SNES and Genesis games on emulators on an HDTV. Which console had better graphics? (Hint: not the one rendered at a higher native resolution). The type of TV is irrelevant.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691 | Check out my profile for the list of consoles I own.
#49adampeltz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 4:46:20 PM
newbie2007 posted...
Gamers has a very different tastes and information now than they had 20 years ago. It's hard to compare the two periods. Not only more information are available due to the internet, the gamer demographics also changed a lot.

BTW, the power differences between SNES and Genesis is minimal.

Agreed 100%.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | PSN ID: Peltz-0
Wii U NNID: Peltz-0 | 3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691 | Check out my profile for the list of consoles I own.
#50AsellusPosted 3/5/2014 4:49:30 AM
So? Run SNES and Genesis games on emulators on an HDTV. Which console had better graphics? (Hint: not the one rendered at a higher native resolution). The type of TV is irrelevant.

You keep belaboring this point but I really don't see what you're trying to demonstrate with it. Okay, most Genesis games ran at a marginally higher resolution than SNES ones - that was more than offset by the SNES having the advantage in virtually everything else. It is not at all analogous to the situation with the current consoles.