Stephen Elop

#11HiddenRoarPosted 3/5/2014 10:37:13 PM
DarkHoles posted...
Why do people think it is a bad thing he is now ceo? I know lol i just landed myself an amazing job but i am purposely going to f it up and lose my job??????
That makes no sense lol,
if anything it is a good thing, he was not happy with the direction of xbox which is what makes him the perfect person for the job.

How typical for someone with short sights.

Nadella is CEO. He's pressured into selling the Xbox by investors who want MS to return to doing what they do best: Software, after losing market ground to Apple. Of course he won't get rid of the brand right now because he owes Gates for taking him under the latter's wing and getting to where he is today.

So how do you please investors without disappointing the person who you owe your success to? Elop. Nadella knows that Elop wants the brand gone, which is why he is put in charge. By tanking Xbox (and the other stuff in the division), Nadella is able to use Elop as a scapegoat when he gets sells the brand (to Amazon, or whatever) per investors demands while appearing sympathetic to Gates by saying it's the only thing to preserve the brand.

To add onto that, MS could always offer Amazon the use of their cloud and other services as a way to show Gates that his dreamchild can still be what he hoped it could be (whatever that is) and that MS is there for it despite not leading it.

As for Elop, he'll probably be moved to another division of MS like his woman predecessor was (Seriously, how long was she in charge for? She didn't even do anything worthwhile, did she?) After all, he's the representative of a group that owns a good stake in MS.
#12aszsithPosted 3/5/2014 10:41:46 PM
Panner posted...
aszsith posted...
You do know that Stephen Elop is not Microsoft's CEO, right? The new CEO is Satya Nadella. This was announced on February 4th.

That's right.
Stephen Elop has been put in charge of the Xbox division and was the guy who wanted to get rid of the Xbox, Bing and the Surface tablet if he became the Microsoft CEO

And he answers to the board of directors. That board includes Bill Gates (who started the Xbox division), Steve Ballmer (who helped the Xbox division grow), Stephen Luczo (who is the CEO of Seagate which has tech inside the XBOne), and Satya Nadella (who was head of Cloud Services, which the XBOne is heavily reliant on). The board would have to approve selling off the Xbox Division or killing such a major product, and that doesn't look likely when 4 of the 10 members are very pro Xbox.

Also, since the Devices and Studios Department has one major product division (Xbox) and several failing ones (Nokia, Surface), why would he in essence kill two of the three major products that his division produces? That would essentially end the department and put him out of a job. I don't think he's looking to force his own retirement.

It was one thing when he was rumored to be made CEO. He may have had more power to kill the Xbox. But that didn't happen. They chose someone else to lead the company. Is it possible that part of the reason Elop was not chosen was his radical ideas about slashing the company to pieces?

Also, why would Microsoft acquire new internal development talent to make games for the XBOne if they were planning on killing it? That would be a stupid business decision and the shareholders and Board would call for the immediate termination of the idiot responsible for wasting millions. And who would that person be? The head of the Devices and Studios Department.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#13lunaticcorePosted 3/5/2014 10:49:03 PM
I love these guys trying to paint Elop as some kind of Xbox killing beast that will not stop till he spills blood. Like he wakes up in the morning with one goal.. MUST KILL XBOX.

The guy said he would "consider" spinning off the brand, because he was trying to get the CEO job. It not his personal chosen destiny to kill the brand at all costs.
#14HiddenRoarPosted 3/5/2014 10:58:06 PM(edited)
aszsith posted...
And he answers to the board of directors. That board includes Bill Gates (who started the Xbox division), Steve Ballmer (who helped the Xbox division grow), Stephen Luczo (who is the CEO of Seagate which has tech inside the XBOne), and Satya Nadella (who was head of Cloud Services, which the XBOne is heavily reliant on). The board would have to approve selling off the Xbox Division or killing such a major product, and that doesn't look likely when 4 of the 10 members are very pro Xbox.

Also, why would Microsoft acquire new internal development talent to make games for the XBOne if they were planning on killing it? That would be a stupid business decision and the shareholders and Board would call for the immediate termination of the idiot responsible for wasting millions. And who would that person be? The head of the Devices and Studios Department.

Elop tanks Xbox, investors demand that it gets cut, board either does so or risk getting outed during the next shareholders meeting. And it won't be that hard of a decision for the board to make if the division is doing badly anyways.

And nothing is preventing them from developing games if the brand transfers to Amazon. Amazon bought that one gaming studio and they don't even have a console. MS can now make money selling games as a 3rd or 2nd party without having to worry about money loss.

lunaticcore posted...
I love these guys trying to paint Elop as some kind of Xbox killing beast that will not stop till he spills blood. Like he wakes up in the morning with one goal.. MUST KILL XBOX.

The guy said he would "consider" spinning off the brand, because he was trying to get the CEO job. It not his personal chosen destiny to kill the brand at all costs.

Not that big of a stretch to think he won't do the same thing to Xbox like he did to Nokia.

Why else would Nadella put Elop, who "considered" spinning off the brand, as head of the Entertainment division? Logic would dictate that Nadella would put him as far away from the brand as possible.

And now that you brought it up, Elop can probably get relocated to the Windows Phone division where he probably wants to be.
#15aszsithPosted 3/5/2014 11:01:06 PM
HiddenRoar posted...
aszsith posted...

Elop tanks Xbox, investors demand that it gets cut, board either does so or risk getting outed during the next shareholders meeting. And it won't be that hard of a decision for the board to make if the division is doing badly anyways.

And nothing is preventing them from developing games if the brand transfers to Amazon. Amazon bought that one gaming studio and they don't even have a console. MS can now make money selling games as a 3rd or 2nd party without having to worry about money loss.

Elop CANT tank the Xbox division. It would cost him his job. He didn't join Microsoft just to get immediately fired for deliberately sabotaging his division. And investors can cry for anything they want. They only get to vote on the board of directors, not the choices that board makes. And since Xbox division hasn't had much impact on Microsoft stock, those investors aren't going to make any more fuss than they have been for the past decade.

I'm not saying Microsoft won't ever sell the Xbox division. It just won't happen this console cycle. If anything, it would happen to set up the transition to the next generation. The XboxPrime may have an Amazon logo on it, but every XBOne sold will have a Microsoft logo on it.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#16lunaticcorePosted 3/5/2014 11:02:22 PM
Xbox Prime is kinda catchy.
#17PoweredMilkManPosted 3/5/2014 11:41:27 PM
lunaticcore posted...
Xbox Prime is kinda catchy.

there's the name for next gens xbox. Its intgerated with everything you do in life now, not just your living room.
-Always On Gps
- Kinect is now glasses you wear on your face and they must be used in order for the console to work.
-Randomly play games with anyone around you.. (Goverment Mandatory Tracking) So everyone will be forced to own one. Crushing nintendo and sony in sales forcing them to close.
-The Xbox is the size of a smart phone, With the power of the cloud it will be 4000 times more powerful then the xbox one.
---
XBL/PSN/WiiU - bloodandbourbon
#18NintendoRandomPosted 3/6/2014 6:13:59 AM
My Elop thread got deleted due to trolling, so that's lame! But anyway yeah I agree Elop will be the scapegoat when Xbox gets sold to other companies. Anybody who doesn't see that is blind to the ways of business! This is obviously step one in the big picture of phasing out the brand.
#19HENTAIDOJIPosted 3/6/2014 6:24:18 AM
DarkHoles posted...
Why do people think it is a bad thing he is now ceo? I know lol i just landed myself an amazing job but i am purposely going to f it up and lose my job??????
That makes no sense lol, if anything it is a good thing, he was not happy with the direction of xbox which is what makes him the perfect person for the job.

Elop isnt CEO. Hakuhna Matata is the new CEO
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#20HENTAIDOJIPosted 3/6/2014 6:24:33 AM
DarkHoles posted...
That makes no sense lol, if anything it is a good thing, he was not happy with the direction of xbox which is what makes him the perfect person for the job.

Elop isnt CEO. Hakuhna Matata is the new CEO
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg