Phil Spencer promotes Cloud more! Promises "Impressive demo"- running code.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Phil Spencer promotes Cloud more! Promises "Impressive demo"- running code.
1 year ago#31
MrSpaM111 posted...
Ryan-06 posted...
Apex-Player posted...
Remember Forza 5 e3 anyone?

What are you talking about. What was different in Forza 5? Cloud was used for AI and that was it IIRC. Did they show a CG movie that wasn't the real graphics or something?

The graphics they showed in the E3 demo were better than what was actually shipped, the crowd for example were fully 3D in the E3 demo, where as in the actual game they were cardboard cutouts. There were a number of other things that were downgraded for the final release as well.

Didnt Sony lie about Killzones graphics too? Seems like both companies are doing similar things.
---
Gamertag: F1RE v2 PSN ID: F1REx
If you want to troll, provide a source to backup your claims.
1 year ago#32
Jiggy101011 posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...
Ryan-06 posted...
Apex-Player posted...

What are you talking about. What was different in Forza 5? Cloud was used for AI and that was it IIRC. Did they show a CG movie that wasn't the real graphics or something?

The graphics they showed in the E3 demo were better than what was actually shipped, the crowd for example were fully 3D in the E3 demo, where as in the actual game they were cardboard cutouts. There were a number of other things that were downgraded for the final release as well.

Didnt Sony lie about Killzones graphics too? Seems like both companies are doing similar things.

I'd love to see a source for this so called downgrading in KZ:SF, I can't remember reading anything about the E3 footage being different to the final build?
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
1 year ago#33
Ryan-06 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Ignore Apex, he is a shareholder for Sony.

Well I'm being strictly neutral this time, and yes I am PS4 biased lol. But, emergent technology is something I like to follow. Not just on consoles - anywhere. I still have my doubts myself, as with Cernys own assessment. Also there's a important editors note on the Cerny article, see below..

schmarkenheimer posted...
A tech demo would be nice to see, but used in a game that has potentially millions of players all around the world? That's a different story.

Also from the Cerny article- must consider:

Of course Cloud computing can somehow free resources to be used with graphics, but that’s an entirely different story altogether: if you offload elements like AI, limited physics, world simulation and similar to cloud computing, the local machine has more resources that can indeed be dedicated to rendering visuals.

The catch is that those elements offloaded to the cloud need to have a very limited data footprint. Larger data footprints will result in interfering with bandwidth to be used for online gaming and connectivity, and even more so will cause the game to be overly reliant on the quality of the internet connection, severely limiting what developers can do with it.

This is what I see the big issue as. It seems like it would be very limited outside of single player games.

The more you offload to the cloud, the more you bandwidth you'll be taking up that might cause issues with online multiplayer games.

It just sounds like they'd be limited to freeing up processes that weren't very memory intensive in the first place, making it kind of hard to see any large advantage to it.

I'm curious to see what they can do with it non the less.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice
1 year ago#34
MrSpaM111 posted...
Jiggy101011 posted...
MrSpaM111 posted...
Ryan-06 posted...
Apex-Player posted...

I'd love to see a source for this so called downgrading in KZ:SF, I can't remember reading anything about the E3 footage being different to the final build?

I believe with KZ the graphics shown were the same but it was promoted as 1080p while it turned out to be 1080i.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice
1 year ago#35
I'm scared this term may be the new "Blast Processing" from Sega genesis or "Emotion Engine" from the PS2 marketing..
---
http://i.minus.com/ibgMA0LFIXHWnz.gif
FO3>NV. Don't agree? I don't care. (>^_^)>
1 year ago#36
adampeltz posted...
Cerny: "Trying to boost the quality of the graphics, that won’t work well in the Cloud."

7 months later: let's launch Playstation Now where *ALL* of the game's computations are done in the cloud.

Maybe it doesn't "boost the quality of the graphics," but it allows PS Vita to run PS3 games that it wouldn't otherwise be able to run. Heck, PS Vita can even play PS4 games with remote play (which of course isn't the same sort of "cloud" but that's not the point).

Certainly, Sony makes the case that remote servers can be useful for delivering high quality games to platforms that could never natively run them.

Why can't Microsoft do the same?

It's not the same, everything is done on the server end, it's being transmitted as data, the only thing being sent to the server is basically controller instructions.

It's almost like watching Netflix

on the other hand, Microsoft is trying to offload calculations which require sending data back and forth. A lot more bandwidth required
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
1 year ago#37
I'd be interested in seeing this demo, ran on the avg internet speed in the US, which is 8-10mbps, not on some corporate dedicated optical line. If it cannot be done with an 8-10mbps connection then its worthless because that's going to cut most gamers out of playing the game.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
1 year ago#38
My internet is only 10mbps. good enough for gaming. but low upstream speeds. So I can't upload big videos to youtube or more.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibgMA0LFIXHWnz.gif
FO3>NV. Opinion. Don't agree? I don't care. (>^_^)>
1 year ago#39
http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/03/08/titanfall-not-coming-to-south-africa
---
Meanwhile, at the Income Inequality town hall meeting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5p8IXzNdc
1 year ago#40
Ryan-06 posted...
http://gamingbolt.com/phil-spencer-promises-impressive-xbox-one-cloud-demo

"Phil Spencer, VP of Microsoft Game Studios, however, says that Microsoft will be demoing this feature soon and that a lot of details for it will be released when they do so."

“Feel like next demo we do of cloud has to be running code and impressive,” Phil Spencer said on Twitter when asked about Cloud. “Lot’s of questions about how real and I want to answer.”
“The demo has to answer questions people have about how real the impact of cloud can be,” he continued in another tweet.

He's using "real" a lot. Maybe realistic graphics he spoke of earlier. I presume E3 is the demonstration.

I look forward to this demo he seems confident in. He sounds excited. but-
I am not sure what to think of his words. He's mostly a PR exec like Major Nelson right? Because I also found that In comparison to an actual hardware architect-- Mark Cerny, who designed the PS4, says cloud computing is limited to certain things. Not graphics or other heavy loads.

"Trying to boost the quality of the graphics, that won’t work well in the Cloud."
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/17/ps4s-mark-cerny-explains-what-works-and-what-doesnt-work-with-cloud-computing/

Off your suspension already?
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Phil Spencer promotes Cloud more! Promises "Impressive demo"- running code.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived