Why no upgradable hard drive?

#31yiangaruuugaPosted 3/4/2014 8:35:39 PM
For one, we can get external HDD which makes moving data from location to location a lot easier. Two, from the numbers I've seen, SSDs and Hybrids didn't make much of a difference in PS4 boot/load times. If it's only 15 to 20 secs, then it's useless for me. I'm not too impatient that I can't wait 20 more seconds than somebody else.
---
GT: xFrostxPhoenix
Now Playing: BF3, DC 2 Waiting for: MW3,Skyrim, ACR...Monster Hunter is the **** btw.
#32Laylow12Posted 3/4/2014 8:42:35 PM
bessy67 posted...
Dude, you're just doing what he wants you to do. Trolls are just here to argue with people, and they love it when you respond to them. Just put Laylow on your ignore list where he belongs and be done with it.

Shes right, you should put me on ignore to reassure yourself and hide from any news about the XBOX ONE. Blame the messenger and hide your head in the sand. Don't hold Microsoft accountable for anything they do wrong and settle for paying more for less. Ill be here to talk about the XBOX ONE anytime you are ready too. I had an XBOX ONE and returned it to Amazon within a week.

If you'd like to actually talk about the XBOX ONE, I'd gladly do that with you! The personal attacks are for kids who feel hurt and i don't want to hurt any kids feelings. Are you a kid? If so, kindly block me.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#33nb003_99Posted 3/4/2014 8:46:38 PM
bessy67 posted...
nb003_99 posted...
bessy67 posted...
jamamaw_gustav posted...
jpraelster posted...
Because they are going to add external hard drive support which is basically the same

If I put In a faster hard drive then it would cut down on boot time and loading times, so no it isn't the same

PS4 and Xbox One both use SATA 2. USB 3.0 is faster than SATA 2. External will be faster than internal.

I don't think that is the case
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/297224-32-speed-external-usb3-internal-sata

That comparison is USB 3.0 and SATA III. SATA III is indeed faster. SATA II, which X1 and PS4 have, is slower than USB 3.0.

Good catch, didn't see that. And after a lil more looking, from what I found, you are indeed correct.
USB 3 does 5Gb/s
SATA 2 does 3Gb/s
---
"DRM aside, all of Microsofts moves have been as intended."
- Hentaidoji
#34jamamaw_gustav(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 8:48:24 PM
yiangaruuuga posted...
For one, we can get external HDD which makes moving data from location to location a lot easier. Two, from the numbers I've seen, SSDs and Hybrids didn't make much of a difference in PS4 boot/load times. If it's only 15 to 20 secs, then it's useless for me. I'm not too impatient that I can't wait 20 more seconds than somebody else.

To me 20 seconds, combined with the fact it's more storage internally, makes it so worth it.
And like the one guy said what if when the warranty is up the hard drive fails? New console?
#35Enigma149Posted 3/4/2014 8:57:38 PM
Laylow12 posted...
bessy67 posted...
Dude, you're just doing what he wants you to do. Trolls are just here to argue with people, and they love it when you respond to them. Just put Laylow on your ignore list where he belongs and be done with it.

Shes right, you should put me on ignore to reassure yourself and hide from any news about the XBOX ONE. Blame the messenger and hide your head in the sand. Don't hold Microsoft accountable for anything they do wrong and settle for paying more for less. Ill be here to talk about the XBOX ONE anytime you are ready too. I had an XBOX ONE and returned it to Amazon within a week.

If you'd like to actually talk about the XBOX ONE, I'd gladly do that with you! The personal attacks are for kids who feel hurt and i don't want to hurt any kids feelings. Are you a kid? If so, kindly block me.

How is calling someone a child, fanboy, "Xbot", etc. not a personal attack?
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#36theSpiccoliPosted 3/4/2014 9:01:11 PM
Porunga posted...
That isn't how MS does things. Everything has to be locked down, proprietary, and their way or not at all. Going by history of course.

To be fair, every company is guilty of this in some regard.
---
GT-TheSpiccoli
#37LanternOfAshPosted 3/4/2014 9:12:20 PM
TC doesn't seem to realize that USB3 is so fast that you're only going to be throttled by the speed of the drive itself.

So are you okay now, or do you still got some problem that needs addressed?
---
Look, Mama! I'm on GameFAQs!
#38jamamaw_gustav(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 9:20:01 PM
W I am actually curious, what happens if you hdd fails?
#39jamamaw_gustav(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2014 9:20:51 PM
LanternOfAsh posted...
TC doesn't seem to realize that USB3 is so fast that you're only going to be throttled by the speed of the drive itself.

So are you okay now, or do you still got some problem that needs addressed?

So an external is going to cut down load times?
#40Garage_ManPosted 3/4/2014 9:22:41 PM
Wow this thread...so many words so much nonsense. So many people arguing over data vs usb vs your moms fish Friday night.

Microsoft is a company that believes they know better than you. There you go, that's why you can't swap a hard drive easily...okay now that were over with that.

Just pick up a 512gb SSD..Samsung 840 pro or something similar and screw the warranty, it's a 500 dollar box, if it breaks you buy another when the time comes no issues.

Then you have all the super fast read/writes of a ssd AND when you finally run out of storage you can put in your 1tb external drive. Maybe Microsoft will enable you to move things from hard drive to hard drive. Maybe it will do it by itself...but I'd get a nice ssd inside.

My ps3 loads Gran turismo in seconds where my hard drive one is like 30 seconds, Skyrim actually plays faster with a ssd. I have raid 0 on my computer and Skyrim loads in a instant. Blah to windows ready in under 10 seconds.

Quit arguing over sata vs usb, you people clearly have no idea that no standard mechanical hard drive is getting close to tapping out sata. There is no need for more throughput because the hard drive can't deliever.