Microsoft Coming Debuting Direct X12 at GDC

#81Reflex-ArcPosted 3/7/2014 4:21:03 PM
Interesting...
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#82TheBonfiniPosted 3/7/2014 6:48:11 PM
bob15x posted...
I just tracked this topic and going to move on till march 20th. Because if, and it is a big if, xbox one ends up supporting direct x 12 (which I doubt) all the people that are so sure of themselves that it won't will look rather dumb, and if other way, all the ones that are sure of themselves that it does, equally dumb (but those are very few in numbers in the thread)

You're hardcore, Bob.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#83Valor_PhoenixPosted 3/7/2014 8:56:43 PM
xcmon3yx2 posted...
Direct X12 will require completely new hardware, making it impossible to incorporate into xbone

This is partially true and partially not. It's been 'announced' now.

A new status update on the official DirectX 12 Twitter account hints that the latest version of DirectX will be available for Xbox One, which makes sense since the API does belong to Microsoft:
Game on #XboxOne? So do we. Find out more at #GDC. #DirectX12 – http://t.co/cLyhBwnNav

— DirectX 12 (@DirectX12) March 7, 2014

There’s even a teaser site, which has the words “Come join us at GDS March 20th, 2014 10:00am.” It’ll be interesting to see what kind of presentation Microsoft has in store for DirectX 12 and Xbox One.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/07/directx-12-revealed-to-be-on-xbox-one-more-information-to-follow-at-gdc-2014/

The XBone will support the API part, what amounts to driver/software upgrades. It won't magically have new hardware features.

It's like nVidia's PhysX, there is a software version almost everything can run and the hardware accelerated version using their GPU cards.

DirectX is Microsoft's API set, the XBone will have whatever the latest version is, the same way the PS4 will have the latest firmware and GNMX updates.
---
~ PSN ID: ValorPhoenix ~ Raven [ / . \ ] Hubris
"There are more defective users than defective systems."
#84bob15xPosted 3/9/2014 4:43:09 PM
TheBonfini posted...
bob15x posted...
I just tracked this topic and going to move on till march 20th. Because if, and it is a big if, xbox one ends up supporting direct x 12 (which I doubt) all the people that are so sure of themselves that it won't will look rather dumb, and if other way, all the ones that are sure of themselves that it does, equally dumb (but those are very few in numbers in the thread)

You're hardcore, Bob.

Bump. and looks like its paying off.

I have always said people should not say absolutes, because when you do it tends to bite you in the butt.

those sony fanboys that called those who thought it was possible that the xbox one could be able to use direct x 12 probably feel kind of "oops" right now
#85godplaysSNESPosted 3/9/2014 4:49:31 PM(edited)
Valor_Phoenix posted...
xcmon3yx2 posted...
Direct X12 will require completely new hardware, making it impossible to incorporate into xbone

The XBone will support the API part, what amounts to driver/software upgrades. It won't magically have new hardware features.

It's like nVidia's PhysX, there is a software version almost everything can run and the hardware accelerated version using their GPU cards.

DirectX is Microsoft's API set, the XBone will have whatever the latest version is, the same way the PS4 will have the latest firmware and GNMX updates.

The thing people don't get is that the Xbox One should already have a low-level API that's even better than what DX12 is.

DirectX 12 is going to be supported on alot of various GPUs, and thus can't go as low-level as the current Xbox One's API can. And thus it shouldn't bring performance improvements, unless Microsoft totally blew it with the Xbox One's current API.

As for introducing new features, emulating them in software would bring down performance alot compared to having dedicated hardware for it.

It's very unlikely DX12 will bring any improvements to the Xbox One. But porting to and from PC should be easier than ever.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#86joe_davidPosted 3/9/2014 4:56:37 PM
It's very unlikely DX12 will bring any improvements to the Xbox One. But porting to and from PC should be easier than ever.

The latter is an improvement, if it's quicker to port from a PC that gives developers more time to polish meaning more stable games.
---
god of war 2 is the best game eva
#87BoneRevolutionPosted 3/9/2014 5:08:23 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
BoneRevolution posted...
BSerenity posted...
BoneRevolution posted...
Though my GPU supports DX11.1, Windows XP can't use it. After the OS upgrade yes - it was there all the time

OS upgrade for the XBO, eh? To bad it wouldn't do **** for the XBO since the gpu isn't DirectX 12 capable. Ya got to have the hardware as much as the software.

Where did I mention Xbox? I can't comment on that because I'm not MS hw/sw engineer so I don't know what they did there.
As for my cheap GPU yes...much better now for sure

Yes, but the GPU in the Xbox One does not support Direct X12, no software update will fix it, it's based on GCN 2.0, which supports at the most 11.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MfEwbM3Zlg
#88bgwilly255Posted 3/9/2014 5:31:34 PM
Porunga posted...
That... isn't how things work.

Actually that is how things work.
---
Disabled Vet. USMC-Sgt 0844.
#89BSerenityPosted 3/9/2014 5:38:06 PM
Took a break from the forum to play South Park and I come back to people taking my posts completely out of context.

DirectX 12 as a whole is going to be DIrectX 11.x with new features added to it, I was technically wrong and right. While there will be DirectX used, those DirectX 12 only features are not going to be used with the XBO from a hardware standpoint.

I honestly get the feeling this is a reactionary response to Mantle more so than Sony.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

^ This link isn't confirmation of DirectX 12 only features being used in the XBO. It is part of the DirectX usage family, so it will obviously be on there.

I have no problem eating my words come GDC. With that said...

XBO will NOT use DirectX 12 only features from a hardware standpoint.
Also, don't hope for software emulation of these features. It will make things worse not better.

Lets not twist this post.

(( To make this clear as well. I am neither fan nor hater of either MS or Sony. I enjoy exclusives from both. ))
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.
#90jblaze2121Posted 3/9/2014 7:26:24 PM
Very
Interesting
Indeed.
---
GT:jblaze2121-PSN:jblaze2121-3DS FC:3093-8430-0175