How do you feel about developers that announce DLC before a game is released?

#1lazycomplifePosted 3/5/2014 7:43:08 PM
How do you feel about developers that announce DLC before a game is released? - Results (166 votes)
I don't like them. They are scamming people.
55.42% (92 votes)
I like them. They are letting people know they won't stop developing for the game.
19.28% (32 votes)
I'm indifferent. I don't have to buy the content.
25.3% (42 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I think those developers are just scamming people, and should include the content in the initial release, or patch it in for free at a later date. Announcing DLC before a game is out is unacceptable.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#2Gunvalkyrie2Posted 3/5/2014 7:49:04 PM
it's obviously a scam when it releases simultaneously with the game!!

How can the Thief dev release the Bank Heist DLC with the game and you not realize it was just CUT OUT OF THE GAME to sell you another piece of the game for $5?
---
You are ignoring 9 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#3BalmungTheAzurePosted 3/5/2014 7:49:18 PM
Sure, because creating content and then selling it is "scamming"

Now, whether the DLC is actually on disc or a separately developed expansion is usually the issue I care about. It's definitely a scam to sell you something you already have (counter argument: you don't own the game, but only a license to play it "as-is" and must pay for each additional feature) on your disc.
---
"Game Faqs Needs You, Balmung" -Samurai_Man
XBL: K SAINT LAURENT PSN: VirusX77
#4UtterMoonPosted 3/5/2014 7:50:14 PM
Announcing DLC before the release shows that the developer not only has a plan..but that they intend to continue making content for their game after the initial launch. Game development is done in steps...the code, engine, art, sound and just about everything is in its final stages (and in many cases complete) long before the game reaches shelves.

A developer will work on DLC while the game is being bug tested...because paying a bunch of people to sit around and do nothing, or releasing them only the hire them a few months after release is nonsensical...and sure...it would be cool if they released the DLC for free, but DLC is not free to create.

In the end...you don't have to buy it...no one is forcing you to buy it, and most people do not buy it. DLC is for the people who love the game, its for people who will pay money to have more.

Now pre-order/store specific stuff is another story.
#5Gunvalkyrie2Posted 3/5/2014 8:03:20 PM
UtterMoon posted...
Announcing DLC before the release shows that the developer not only has a plan..but that they intend to continue making content for their game after the initial launch. Game development is done in steps...the code, engine, art, sound and just about everything is in its final stages (and in many cases complete) long before the game reaches shelves.

A developer will work on DLC while the game is being bug tested...because paying a bunch of people to sit around and do nothing, or releasing them only the hire them a few months after release is nonsensical...and sure...it would be cool if they released the DLC for free, but DLC is not free to create.

In the end...you don't have to buy it...no one is forcing you to buy it, and most people do not buy it. DLC is for the people who love the game, its for people who will pay money to have more.

it's obviously a scam when it releases simultaneously with the game!!

How can the Thief dev release the Bank Heist DLC with the game and you not realize it was just CUT OUT OF THE GAME to sell you another piece of the game for $5?
---
You are ignoring 9 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#6lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2014 8:04:52 PM
UtterMoon posted...

But in some multiplayer games, the existence of DLC makes it harder for people without it to find games or play with friends. Announcing DLC before the game is out is a method of milking the consumer, because people know in advance that they will most likely have to purchase that content in addition to the game, just so they can play with their friends.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#7lunaticcorePosted 3/5/2014 8:16:31 PM
Why stop with DLC? I think all sequels should also be free. I mean seriously you didn't finish this story and now I am expected to go out and buy another chapter? Also, you totally split the player base when you released it!

Just milking the customers by releasing more products we have to buy.
#8UtterMoonPosted 3/5/2014 8:18:37 PM
The Bank Heist DLC was a pre-order exclusive...I already said that I don't like those, but I can see the reasoning behind having them...and allowing others to buy that DLC is far better than denying that content to the majority of players who do not pre-order.

Multiplayer map packs are not that bad...yes they do tend to split the community..hell, I have yet to buy any of the Battlefield DLC...but this comes back to one of my other points. DLC is for people who LOVE the game...its not for everyone...its additional content that extends the lifetime of that game. Yes...it would be great if it was released for free...but making additional maps takes a lot of time and money...multiplayer maps are not that easy to make, and testing them for use can take months (months of paying a few dozen employees).

The moment you stop seeing DLC as something you "need" to buy...the moment you stop believing that millions of people are going to buy it (because only a small number of them actually do)...and when DLC is released for a game that you feel "meh" about...or its announced for a game you don't have much interest in...you need to realized that its not being made for you, not everything needs to be about you.
#9BalmungTheAzurePosted 3/5/2014 8:21:38 PM
lazycomplife posted...
UtterMoon posted...

But in some multiplayer games, the existence of DLC makes it harder for people without it to find games or play with friends. Announcing DLC before the game is out is a method of milking the consumer, because people know in advance that they will most likely have to purchase that content in addition to the game, just so they can play with their friends.

What? Wouldn't you and your friends just play together on the non-DLC maps? Then when you can spare a few extra dollars, you buy the pack. Or you know, you can just not buy the content and realize that your $60 game really is just $60 (plus any applicable taxes and conversions to local currency).

Milking the consumer? Really? You pay for products and services. That's a pillar of economy. Maybe when you start making money you'll understand how the world of finances works. Supply and demand yada yada yada
---
"Game Faqs Needs You, Balmung" -Samurai_Man
XBL: K SAINT LAURENT PSN: VirusX77
#10Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 3/5/2014 8:22:35 PM
lazycomplife posted...
UtterMoon posted...

I hate this. There is always that one map / mode that everyone votes for, and it just happens to be from a DLC pack that I opted not to get. Goodbye, lobby.
---
Squeeze your mother's neck... 'til the kicking stops... the memories stop!