I don't get it how comes with the power of Cloud, the graphics get better?

#1SuperSuikodenPosted 3/7/2014 7:25:37 AM
Can someone explain to me even if it's right at least?
---
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed
#2OverLordChaosPosted 3/7/2014 7:32:39 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3leelee3105Posted 3/7/2014 7:36:43 AM
if you dont understand go play flower then. i dont want your kind on Live anyway
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif PSN lol!
#4levelshooterPosted 3/7/2014 7:50:32 AM
I've gathered that it theoretically could free up space on the physical console by doing some of the codework of some sort.

It'll probably be like the n64 expansion pak as in some games will perform better with it, playable without.

But hopefully not to the point where it's mandatory hopefully, that would be poor for the people that cannot get internet access
---
-xbl- FallenAngel00me.
3ds - 1306 6847 7854
#5crynryanPosted 3/7/2014 8:04:57 AM(edited)
Every processor can only do so many instructions at once (instructions being anything the developer tells it do, whether it be simple math or trigonometry, rendering things to the screen, sending data through the internet, etc...), and with the cloud processing they're able to do more.

What they'll be able to do is tell the cloud that they need the results for an extremely long and time intensive equation/algorithm (each instruction takes up a certain amount of time, longer problems can take longer amounts of time. But keep in mind these times are in hundredths or even thousandths of milliseconds), the cloud will do the work, and then send the results to your console. So instead of having to do the work itself, your console is able to just send off what data it needs and receive the finished results without having to do anything but send a request to the cloud (which is nowhere near as expensive).

This frees up extra time for your console to be able to send the graphics card more instructions on rendering things, or more time for it to compute the AI or physics. Other than Microsoft themselves, I don't think anyone really knows how much the Xbox can benefit from doing this, but hopefully that demo they said they'll show off shows a good estimate of what they'll be able to do.

EDIT:
Developers will be able to determine whether or not you have access to the cloud processing. If you do, they'll be able to offload some of the processing. If not, they'll not be able to do all the extra stuff, so your game would look worse (less things rendered like particles), or not as many physics enabled objects or AI running around.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#6quincy2000aPosted 3/7/2014 8:30:50 AM
somebody buy that man a beer!

thanks, crynryan!
#7crynryanPosted 3/7/2014 8:49:06 AM
Forgot to explain some stuff with time:

Depending on the frame rate, developers have only so much time to fit all of the calculations/instructions in order to keep up the frame rate. Take the frame rate of a game (usually 30 or 60), and divide 1000 by that frame rate. That will tell you how many milliseconds each frame takes up. 16ms for 60FPS, ~33ms for 30FPS.

Each instruction (no matter how small or easy it is, like simple adding 1 and 1 together) takes up an amount of time. All of those instructions add up to the current frame's time. In order to keep a stable frame rate (to not have frame drops), a single frame cannot go above that amount of milliseconds you found earlier. When doing a simple addition, it'll only take up something like 0.000001ms, which as you can see isn't anything. But what you must keep in mind is that games all run on engines (Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, etc...) and those engines have an overhead.

This overhead (extra processing and stuff that the engine has to do in order to work) is something that developers can't do anything about, so that's even less time you have per frame. Depending on the engine and how feature complete it is, you'll have less or more time per frame. But no matter what the engine is that you're using, you still have to have the processors compute everything.

A longer and more complex equation/algorithm will take up more time, and thus needs to be used sparingly compared to other smaller equations. These equations can be sent off to the cloud, thus freeing up that extra couple tenths of a millisecond in order to squeeze out as much performance as possible.

Overall, I highly doubt that the cloud processing will be used for anything significant in single player games or campaigns (unless it's stuff that happens in the background that doesn't impact the gameplay at all), as the amount of time that your console will have to wait to receive the finished results could vary by so many different things, as the internet is just faulty as a whole and gaming just kinda piggybacks off of what is already there. Multiplayer is where it'll be used the most, since it'll allow for more players and such since developers can use every bit of power your console has to play the game, instead of them needing to reserve a certain amount just in case someone needed to be host.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)