Is this true, Xbox One will be more powerful than PS4 with DirectX 12?

#21skermacPosted 3/8/2014 12:50:02 PM
When will MS unlock the dedicated gpu underneath the XB1 apu? lol
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#22crynryanPosted 3/8/2014 12:57:37 PM
From my friend who's been developing some stuff using DirectX, he says that the main thing 12 will do better than 11 is how efficient it is in handling the video memory. Video memory is made up of pretty much all the stuff you see, textures and vertices and such.

Won't be that big of an improvement (at least not for now), but it will help make things looks a bit better.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#23rgwPosted 3/8/2014 1:03:24 PM
I'm not a gaming developer, so I don't touch on graphical processing at all in my work. The way I understand it is that DX12 is it can be implemented at the software or hardware level. It is not solely dependent on hardware but implementations at hardware level are almost always more efficient. There are certain APIs and what not that require a hardware implementation but the Xbox One could probably benefit from software efficiencies over DX11.

I defer to someone who knows more about this software development domain though...
---
rgw
--
#24pez2k_Posted 3/8/2014 1:06:32 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Can't believe people are holding on to this held back power.

Especially when their 'source' is a guy on Livejournal who will post literally any old rubbish that he's sent. It's pretty fun to pass him completely fake rumours and watch them get spun into the web of nonsense.
---
Fixing Turn10's omissions since 2007, and Playground Games' since 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pez2k
#25rgwPosted 3/8/2014 1:19:52 PM(edited)
This isn't apple to apples but I remember in the late 00s that Apple released several laptops that were supposedly just .11a/b/g wifi capable but a software update turned on .11n capability a few months later. Nobody tracked on it either...even with the ifixit.com type sites that tear down everything Apple. I remember this because they tried to charge people for the update because it was technically "value-added" and they were under some FTC/IRS investigation at the time and running a tight/bulls*** ship.
---
rgw
--
#26krystylaPosted 3/8/2014 1:15:31 PM
NO.
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Schreckstoff
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#27ChippPosted 3/8/2014 1:54:34 PM(edited)
The answer is no.

When you look at the goals of dx12, its to reduce the cpu overhead of the api. Allowing developers to get the maximum performance out of the gpu without the cpu getting in the way. Consoles already have this type of api, they always have. So no, dx12 won't fix xbox ones gpu issues.
---
FC: 2938-6718-1758 (Jeff - Mydira)
FC: 2750-1447-4187 (Jen - Mistvale)
#28ImThe8thWonderPosted 3/8/2014 1:25:46 PM
Troll_Directory posted...
not more powerful, but possibly more efficient. depends on sony's software expertise this generation. they have the more powerful hardware, no doubt about it.

This^

XB1 might not reach the PS4's full capabilities, but with better efficiency, it could certainly at least get 1080p/60fps with games in the future.
---
PS4~XB1~PS3~XB360~PS2~PS1~PS Vita~Wii~Wii U~DS~3DS~Super NES~N64~PC
Not everyone with a difference of opinion or that offers criticisms is a troll.
#29NewavePosted 3/8/2014 2:10:45 PM
That's not how it works, no.
---
Kill the legs first, that's an ironclad battle tactic!
#30richboy900Posted 3/8/2014 2:18:15 PM
pez2k_ posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Can't believe people are holding on to this held back power.

Especially when their 'source' is a guy on Livejournal who will post literally any old rubbish that he's sent. It's pretty fun to pass him completely fake rumours and watch them get spun into the web of nonsense.

Ah so just like Cboat then. Like my friend preordered his ps4 and got it in October... Oh wait...