Respawn: We Did Not Sell Titanfall to Microsoft

#31InjusticeRebornPosted 3/8/2014 3:26:41 PM
JohnWall32 posted...
Well this thread got bumped but I don't see the posts...yes I ignored the not so slykid. Anyway for those who don't understand or maybe are just in complete denial...basically when you buy an exclusive you are paying for the potential sales that game would have got on that console.It's probably based on a percentage of the userbase. So Sony would be paying for 3.6 million Xbox One users and MS would be paying for 6.0 million Sony users. A 3rd grader can tell you who's going to have to pay more.

Also, a 3rd grader would also be able to tell that total numbers of PS4 in the consumer's hands does not equal the same amount of copies of a game sold.

I mean, every time Titanfall is brought up on the PS4 board, it is shot down with disinterest. It's not all of the PS community, but it's a general idea.

So, is your theory how it actually goes down? Or is that some fairy tale you wish to believe? Because I find it hard to believe anyone would sign a contract saying they'd cover missed sales when there isn't any guarantee there was any there to begin with.
---
"The bottom line here is that it's ok to troll the Xbox One. Just don't troll the trolls. They are the bread and butter of this message board." Juzten
#32JohnWall32Posted 3/8/2014 3:28:41 PM
InjusticeReborn posted...
JohnWall32 posted...
Well this thread got bumped but I don't see the posts...yes I ignored the not so slykid. Anyway for those who don't understand or maybe are just in complete denial...basically when you buy an exclusive you are paying for the potential sales that game would have got on that console.It's probably based on a percentage of the userbase. So Sony would be paying for 3.6 million Xbox One users and MS would be paying for 6.0 million Sony users. A 3rd grader can tell you who's going to have to pay more.

Also, a 3rd grader would also be able to tell that total numbers of PS4 in the consumer's hands does not equal the same amount of copies of a game sold.

I mean, every time Titanfall is brought up on the PS4 board, it is shot down with disinterest. It's not all of the PS community, but it's a general idea.

So, is your theory how it actually goes down? Or is that some fairy tale you wish to believe? Because I find it hard to believe anyone would sign a contract saying they'd cover missed sales when there isn't any guarantee there was any there to begin with.

I clearly said a percentage of the userbase...I guess you responded in a mad rage before reading the entire post. I understand. You are now finally starting to realize MS will not be able to buy exclusives so freely this gen...yes they are in serious trouble. Enjoy your console though.
---
Board User Level: Legend
#33TMOGPosted 3/8/2014 3:32:02 PM

But that same third grader would realize that a console with 6 million units sold has nearly twice as much potential to sell copies as a console with 3.X million units sold.

It's the potential you pay for, not the guarantee.

No, it really isn't. You're talking about one message board on one website that tends to have a strong bias towards Sony in the first place. There are maybe a few thousand active, regular users on the PS4 board, compared to six million consoles sold to gamers.

That's not a focus group, that's not a general idea, that's something that barely even qualifies as a minority.

Console A has six million units sold.
Console B has three million units sold.

If they were both trying to purchase exclusive rights to your game, would you consider Console B's offer if they came to you with the same amount of money as Console A?
---
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6870/tmog01.png
#34slyman19Posted 3/8/2014 3:38:45 PM
JohnWall32 posted...
JohnWall32 posted...

I clearly said a percentage of the userbase...I guess you responded in a mad rage before reading the entire post. I understand. You are now finally starting to realize MS will not be able to buy exclusives so freely this gen...yes they are in serious trouble. Enjoy your console though.

The OG Xbox sold 1/5 of the PS2, yet many 3rd-party games were kind of close in sales. Some like Splinter Cell sold better on the Xbox. The first Titanfall will not be the PS4, ever. This likely means that more people will buy the Xbox version over the PS4 version as they associate TF with Xbox. That will be taken into account when any deals are made. Thus the price MS will have to pay will be the same as Sony or slightly more. It certainly won't be a significant amount.

Funny, you are the one in a mad rage to say something stupid like the Xbox is in danger.
---
Bankruptcy Awaits!
#35InjusticeRebornPosted 3/8/2014 3:41:36 PM(edited)
JohnWall32 posted...
JohnWall32 posted...

Nah, you're right, I did hastily reply. I just re-read your message I quoted, and there were a lot of not-so-solid words, like 'basically', 'probably' and 'potential'.

So it is a fairy tale make believe theory. You actually don't know. You're just guessing, like the rest of us?

As for the bolded part, to which console are you referring to? Was it meant to be some sort of sly dig? But if not, thank you for your kind wishes. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Edit:

TMOG posted...

Console A has six million units sold.
Console B has three million units sold.

If they were both trying to purchase exclusive rights to your game, would you consider Console B's offer if they came to you with the same amount of money as Console A?

I don't think it's fair to use current numbers. They weren't known at the time of the current exclusivity deal. And they won't be the same come Titanfall 2.

---
"The bottom line here is that it's ok to troll the Xbox One. Just don't troll the trolls. They are the bread and butter of this message board." Juzten
#36TMOGPosted 3/8/2014 3:48:26 PM
I don't think it's fair to use current numbers. They weren't known at the time of the current exclusivity deal. And they won't be the same come Titanfall 2.

Oh, you're absolutely right. Unless Titanfall DOES end up boosting the sales for the Xbox One considerably, the gap between the two will be even larger when Titanfall 2 rolls around. This isn't a baseless claim -- just look at the sales numbers and how the One's sales have been steadily decreasing to Wii U levels since January.

But now that I think about it, why not use the current numbers for this hypothetical? Because this is how it looks to developers today when the companies approach them looking for exclusive deals.
---
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6870/tmog01.png
#37lunchbox2042Posted 3/8/2014 3:54:43 PM
Sony doesn't need another FPS exclusive. Microsoft has more pressure to put out more exclusive games due to the gap in hardware and quality of multiplatform games and the disparity in sales between Xbone and PS4.
#38InjusticeRebornPosted 3/8/2014 4:00:14 PM
TMOG posted...

But now that I think about it, why not use the current numbers for this hypothetical? Because this is how it looks to developers today when the companies approach them looking for exclusive deals.

I may be silly, and very dim, but I draw the line at mixing hypothetical and reality. I won't be able to keep up.

I'm lost as it is. I was pulled back by the Sony thing.

I will say though. I don't think it would be wise for anyone, let alone EA, to be making decisions on things like this. I would have thought they learned their lesson betting on the Xbox One due to how well the 360 did.
---
#39OkayPlayer1Posted 3/8/2014 4:12:14 PM
First and foremost, MS never simply bought exclusivity. Straight from Vince Zampella's mouth (head to the 8:30 mark)...

http://m.ca.ign.com/videos/2014/03/07/zampella-on-the-last-four-years-up-at-noons-titanfall-interview

He explicitly says the game was designed and built for Xbox and PC from day one and that they made the decision (not EA) because MS covered a lot of the development and back end costs up-front, which was huge for a start-up company. And MS has all the development tools and software it needs, it would have given those to Respawn and written it off so very little money would have actually changed hands.
#40rusty12000Posted 3/8/2014 4:15:21 PM
M$ must be paying EA a lot to not release the game on PS4, It has double the user base and they are desperate for a good game, it would have sold like hotcakes.
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM