Respawn: We Did Not Sell Titanfall to Microsoft

#41TruthAndJusticePosted 3/8/2014 5:22:09 PM
slyman19 posted...
JohnWall32 posted...
slyman19 posted...
Sevi_ney posted...
imagine if Sony bought the rights to Titanfall.

Titanfall 2 would be exclusive LOL so hard

They could never afford TF. They can barely afford to keep their doors open.

Oops, they can't even do that.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/07/sony-inks-156-million-deal-to-sell-tokyo-buildings/?mod=yahoo_hs

It would cost Sony much less to buy exclusive rights to TF than it would MS..They got that you know 2.3 million more consoles sold and counting advantage.

That`s not how things work.

Are you honestly suggesting that no negotiations are made during exclusivity deals?
#42slyman19Posted 3/8/2014 5:23:24 PM
TruthAndJustice posted...
slyman19 posted...
JohnWall32 posted...
slyman19 posted...
Sevi_ney posted...
imagine if Sony bought the rights to Titanfall.

Titanfall 2 would be exclusive LOL so hard

They could never afford TF. They can barely afford to keep their doors open.

Oops, they can't even do that.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/07/sony-inks-156-million-deal-to-sell-tokyo-buildings/?mod=yahoo_hs

It would cost Sony much less to buy exclusive rights to TF than it would MS..They got that you know 2.3 million more consoles sold and counting advantage.

That`s not how things work.

Are you honestly suggesting that no negotiations are made during exclusivity deals?

Where did I say that?
---
Bankruptcy Awaits!
#43AceviperPosted 3/8/2014 5:29:23 PM(edited)
OkayPlayer1 posted...
First and foremost, MS never simply bought exclusivity. Straight from Vince Zampella's mouth (head to the 8:30 mark)...

http://m.ca.ign.com/videos/2014/03/07/zampella-on-the-last-four-years-up-at-noons-titanfall-interview

He explicitly says the game was designed and built for Xbox and PC from day one and that they made the decision (not EA) because MS covered a lot of the development and back end costs up-front, which was huge for a start-up company. And MS has all the development tools and software it needs, it would have given those to Respawn and written it off so very little money would have actually changed hands.

you must have missed him raging when microsoft buying exclusivity for the first game happened.

It was built for xbox and pc to begin with with plans to bring it to ps4 later on, but EA and microsoft made a deal behind their back.
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#44blacklabelicePosted 3/8/2014 5:30:24 PM
EA signed the contract, not respawn.
#45TruthAndJusticePosted 3/8/2014 5:32:47 PM
slyman19 posted...
TruthAndJustice posted...

Where did I say that?

When someone says "Sony are able to get TF exclusivity deal for cheaper" and you say "it doesn't work like that", your implications are that negotiations can't be made. Which is quite a chuckle.
#46CKnightPosted 3/8/2014 11:06:00 PM
Titanfall hasn't proved to be a IP worth buying. Yes the beta was funny the hype is strong but good games under perform all the time.

On the flip side Sony fans already talking sequel and bending over backwards to say Respawn isn't happy about the Microsoft exclusive deal just makes the game that much more appealing to people on the fence about pulling the trigger to get the X1. So congratulations on that.
---
"No...you live with it." - Fumbles
#47mike468Posted 3/8/2014 11:09:49 PM
I find it funny how to everyone outside of the MS community this game is ****, yet as soon as it ever becomes a multi-platform game and on PS, everyone will be singing its praise.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#48kcypher2000Posted 3/8/2014 11:26:41 PM
TMOG posted...
InjusticeReborn posted...
Also, a 3rd grader would also be able to tell that total numbers of PS4 in the consumer's hands does not equal the same amount of copies of a game sold.

But that same third grader would realize that a console with 6 million units sold has nearly twice as much potential to sell copies as a console with 3.X million units sold.

It's the potential you pay for, not the guarantee.

I mean, every time Titanfall is brought up on the PS4 board, it is shot down with disinterest. It's not all of the PS community, but it's a general idea.

No, it really isn't. You're talking about one message board on one website that tends to have a strong bias towards Sony in the first place. There are maybe a few thousand active, regular users on the PS4 board, compared to six million consoles sold to gamers.

That's not a focus group, that's not a general idea, that's something that barely even qualifies as a minority.

So, is your theory how it actually goes down? Or is that some fairy tale you wish to believe? Because I find it hard to believe anyone would sign a contract saying they'd cover missed sales when there isn't any guarantee there was any there to begin with.

Console A has six million units sold.
Console B has three million units sold.

If they were both trying to purchase exclusive rights to your game, would you consider Console B's offer if they came to you with the same amount of money as Console A?

Yes because Console B only requires me to localize it one country and is financially solvent while Console A is junk bond status and now flopping in their home country and generally sells less software. Your numbers would mean something if the ps4 was selling twice as much software but its not. Its not even close.

Considering how many ponies care about the netflix paywall i wouldn't even count any without ps+ for a game like TF.
#49kcypher2000Posted 3/8/2014 11:27:42 PM
CKnight posted...
Titanfall hasn't proved to be a IP worth buying. Yes the beta was funny the hype is strong but good games under perform all the time.

On the flip side Sony fans already talking sequel and bending over backwards to say Respawn isn't happy about the Microsoft exclusive deal just makes the game that much more appealing to people on the fence about pulling the trigger to get the X1. So congratulations on that.

This made me laugh about how true it is. They mock the game now but are so eager for it to come to their system.

Reminds me of all the bungie and bioware hate from before and makes me really appreciate the xbox games.
#50Order1886Posted 3/8/2014 11:39:58 PM
Damn, Slimeman got schooled by JohnPwn.