MS Confirms Xbone is DX12 hardware

#11Lawboy2Posted 3/9/2014 12:38:02 PM
ThatLaoGuy posted...
SoulTrapper posted...
Lawboy2 posted...
Volt breaker...ur killing it today but I don't think there paying attention...ANY GOOD NEWS ABOUT XBOX ONE ON THE XBOX ONE BOARDS GETS IGNORED....but drama they'll run that up to 10 pages....Lol...some ppl

Good news being ignored is all of the xbox fans fault.

Stop posting in threads you don't like, post more in these type of threads.

It's really not that hard.

So true though. Cry about trolls but spend days arguing with them. Lol I dont get this

First off where did I post in another thread

Second off stop quoting trolls...I would like to not see what they have posted
#12TheeLeehamPosted 3/9/2014 12:48:10 PM
zerooo0 posted...
So why is this so special? I have absolutely no idea.

Yeah can someone explain the impact this will have for those of us who don't get this stuff.

Trolls need not apply.
#13Enigma149Posted 3/9/2014 12:51:00 PM
TheeLeeham posted...
zerooo0 posted...
So why is this so special? I have absolutely no idea.

Yeah can someone explain the impact this will have for those of us who don't get this stuff.

Trolls need not apply.

Long story short - we dont know.

Nor will we know until GDC. Some will tell you that DX 12 will enable the Xbox One to use never-before-seen graphics features and leave the PS4 in the dust. Others will tell you that it'll do nothing, or that trying to use new features will cause Xbox One games to look worse.

The reality is likely somewhere in the middle.
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#14godplaysSNESPosted 3/9/2014 1:01:27 PM
Xbox One supporting DX12 may not help it at all. Given that DX12 must be high-level enough to be compatible with various different GPUs, DX12 could even hurt the Xbox One's performance compared to its current low-level API.

The reason for having DX12 on the Xbox One is most likely to make it easier than ever to port to and from the PC.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#15zerooo0Posted 3/9/2014 1:14:08 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
Xbox One supporting DX12 may not help it at all. Given that DX12 must be high-level enough to be compatible with various different GPUs, DX12 could even hurt the Xbox One's performance compared to its current low-level API.

The reason for having DX12 on the Xbox One is most likely to make it easier than ever to port to and from the PC.

If itit makes it easier for them to port their games then I'm all for it.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#16OkayPlayer1Posted 3/9/2014 1:21:48 PM
godplaysSNES posted...

Not entirely accurate.

http://gamingbolt.com/dx12-may-allow-xbox-one-to-save-gpu-time-render-ray-tracing-superfog-and-custom-effects

From the article...
"In fact, the API won’t have anything to do with increasing the resolution to whatever the standard is these days. However, what it can do is free up GPU resources through efficient hardware acceleration. So effects like ray tracing, superFog or whatever custom effects we may see down the line will be implemented and thus allow for an improved frame rate and resolution now that the GPU is free for those tasks"
#17rgwPosted 3/9/2014 1:21:51 PM
It is definitely confusing that XB1 is associated with this DX12 announcement.

Microsoft is not really that secretive of a company. They could have announced at the XB1 debut that the system would be the first device to have hardware-level DX12 support with little repercussion. That is the main reason I am skeptical of some Microsoft surprise happening in regards to hardware-level DX12 support in the XB1. Microsoft is a company known for throwing out every bats*** prototype they're working on out for public viewing, why hide DX12 support in the XB1 hardware?

More than likely there is capacity for software level DX12 support that gives meaningful but not earth shattering performance gain on the platform. I seriously doubt that this GPU on-board right now has some magic DX12 switch on it.
---
rgw
--
#18rgwPosted 3/9/2014 1:23:54 PM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Not entirely accurate.

http://gamingbolt.com/dx12-may-allow-xbox-one-to-save-gpu-time-render-ray-tracing-superfog-and-custom-effects

From the article...
"In fact, the API won’t have anything to do with increasing the resolution to whatever the standard is these days. However, what it can do is free up GPU resources through efficient hardware acceleration. So effects like ray tracing, superFog or whatever custom effects we may see down the line will be implemented and thus allow for an improved frame rate and resolution now that the GPU is free for those tasks"

Like I've said in other topics, I am no 3D graphics involved developer...but common senses tells you that API efficiencies at the software hook-in level can pay dividends even if most of the "meat" of DX12 being low-level (hardware).
---
rgw
--
#19godplaysSNESPosted 3/9/2014 1:34:00 PM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Not entirely accurate.

From the article...

That article is just spewing crap

The whole premise of DX12 actually "helping" the Xbox One's performance depends on if Microsoft totally blew it with its initial low-level API.
And considering that the main benefit for console efficiency comes from using a lower-level API than on PC, it's pretty damn unlikely the Xbox One will get improvements by sharing a common Graphics API with the PC.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#20Bladez_89Posted 3/9/2014 1:42:28 PM
This topic is a good read.
---
Gamertag: B1ADE5