MS Confirms Xbone is DX12 hardware

#31zerooo0Posted 3/9/2014 3:37:50 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
GGearX posted...
Really wish someone would speak in english about this, I need to know what it does, Impove graphics?

Improve physics?

lighting? extures? AI? WHAT

It makes programming some graphics features easier for developers, if their game engine takes advantage of thise features. They may, since some dx12 features are supported, or they may not because they're still not "free" resources, since the gpu still needs to process the code and clearly the gpu is a bit, I don't know.... let's agree on "underpowered"?

Sony fanboys are trying to trivialize these software enhancements to keep X1 discussion negative, and X1 fanboys are trying to overhype it and argue that this is a game changer or will finally bring parity with the PS4.

It helps, obviously. I mean, supporting dx12 is better than not supporting it, right?

So could this in theory make it easier for the developers to utilize the X1 32 ESRAM?
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#32rgwPosted 3/9/2014 3:42:37 PM
The SDK seems to poorly suited to get developers to use that high-speed ESRAM...that alone could help with pushing textures onto the screen and free up GPU for other physics and such.
---
rgw
--
#33PorungaPosted 3/9/2014 3:43:13 PM
zerooo0 posted...
Ramsus082 posted...
GGearX posted...
Really wish someone would speak in english about this, I need to know what it does, Impove graphics?

Improve physics?

lighting? extures? AI? WHAT

It makes programming some graphics features easier for developers, if their game engine takes advantage of thise features. They may, since some dx12 features are supported, or they may not because they're still not "free" resources, since the gpu still needs to process the code and clearly the gpu is a bit, I don't know.... let's agree on "underpowered"?

Sony fanboys are trying to trivialize these software enhancements to keep X1 discussion negative, and X1 fanboys are trying to overhype it and argue that this is a game changer or will finally bring parity with the PS4.

It helps, obviously. I mean, supporting dx12 is better than not supporting it, right?

So could this in theory make it easier for the developers to utilize the X1 32 ESRAM?

No, that is an entirely different issue. Dx12 is only going to make getting the most from the gpu easier.
#34AwayFromHerePosted 3/9/2014 3:46:38 PM
Basically all this means is even easier PC ports.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#35godplaysSNESPosted 3/9/2014 4:01:06 PM
AwayFromHere posted...

Yes, it's not going to be positive for Xbox One performance in any way unless Microsoft totally blew it with the Xbone's current low-level API
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#36ThunderPotatoPosted 3/9/2014 4:25:12 PM
Wasted at sub 1080p resolutions though.
---
If you happen to know how to become a paid shill for Microsoft, pm me.
#37Styrof0amPosted 3/10/2014 12:58:36 AM
Ramsus082 posted...
Styrof0am posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Cool, Qualcomm is listed, cellphones must be bumpin that DX12 hardware

Considering they're doing DX11 compatible SoCs, then why not DX12?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/177123-qualcomm-announces-new-64-bit-eight-core-socs-with-dx11-graphics

Gamechanger. Qualcomm/cellphones rocking dat DirectX12.

If devs utilizie it, and tablet and smartphone gaming moves beyond single-press freemium games, then agreed ... Unless of course you were trying to be sarcastic, and completely missed why I posted the DX11 reference in the first place
---

CRD, it's a real killer ... http://youtu.be/ZkY0S-UyPTs
#382006_Posted 3/10/2014 2:25:13 AM
Ramsus082 posted...

We have a winner
#39AsellusPosted 3/10/2014 3:03:55 AM
From the article...
"In fact, the API won’t have anything to do with increasing the resolution to whatever the standard is these days. However, what it can do is free up GPU resources through efficient hardware acceleration. So effects like ray tracing, superFog or whatever custom effects we may see down the line will be implemented and thus allow for an improved frame rate and resolution now that the GPU is free for those tasks"

Focus on the bolded word, for "dx12" to help the X-Bone here that'd require that there's some reason its own native low-level api is not effecient for whatever reason.

MS is lying about this anyway. Just like how Sony lied about Killzone multiplayer being 1080p

Considering we don't have any idea what features are going into dx12 aside from "lowering api overhead" (a thing that's really only an issue pc-side where the actual hardware's always abstracted behind apis)...

thus allow for an improved frame rate and resolution now that the GPU is free for those tasks"

And now millions of Sony Resolution Fanboys are now very, very nervous.....

Why? No more reason to think Sony/AMD botched their low-level api than there is to think MS/AMD did.

Possibly but with a large dose of "you probably shouldn't" even still given something that critical to getting good performance out of the system is not something you want abstracted away. If there's any level of the system you want to be down-to-the-metal fine controlling every last memory transfer it's that.

All I'm really expecting out of it. MS trying to double-down on their console position to protect D3D from OpenGL (which Valve is really pushing since it opens the way to easy Linux ports)/ and Mantle (which has been making DX11 look bad from a performance standpoint and could run just as easily on Linux) pc-side.
#40BSerenityPosted 3/10/2014 3:49:14 AM
Asellus posted...

All I'm really expecting out of it. MS trying to double-down on their console position to protect D3D from OpenGL (which Valve is really pushing since it opens the way to easy Linux ports)/ and Mantle (which has been making DX11 look bad from a performance standpoint and could run just as easily on Linux) pc-side.

This is my line of thought looking at it more clearly and level headed. It seems more reactionary towards OpenGL and especially more so of Mantle.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.