What does it mean to be a Mech game?

#1Depth_scrollPosted 3/9/2014 1:00:15 PM
To have robots and other machines as controllable characters, or to control the character in ways that resemble, for example, tanks with torso rotation? Gun Valkyrie for the XBOX has movement like a tank and torso rotation to look around, but it features a human character. Most Mech games either play like a First Person Shooter or a Lock-on Brawler.
---
What makes Sonic represent a large cast of well known characters?
The fact that without him you can't spell Icons.
#2gohoanqPosted 3/9/2014 1:19:07 PM
I consider a mech anything that is like a stereotypical giant robot, whether it's a more down to earth military mech(Titanfall) or a fantastical mech like a Gundam. Tanks, etc... are tanks, etc. lol
---
---
"Bad biscuits make the baker broke bro" - Jake the Dog.
#3AarksharkPosted 3/9/2014 1:19:35 PM
Giant.
Goddamn.
Robots.
---
Gamertag/PSN ID/Steam: Navllyk
My FUNK is all that of JUSTICE! I will be the first to grab the napkin, you will be as docile as the winter catfish!
#4Depth_scroll(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 2:15:38 PM
What I meant is that games like classic Tomb Raider, Gun Valkyrie and Resident Evil 4 feature a combination of movement and camera control that better resembles how a Mech should control:
- in Tomb Raider she controls like a tank and can look around by rotating her torso to its limits;
- in Resident Evil 4 you also control like a tank, and you have the option to look further to the sides without turning;
- in Gun Valkyrie the characters move closer to classic Tomb Raider, but with the second analog stick it's much easier to look around while you move. The catch is that it's limited to torso rotation.

Some Mech games are only FPS in structure, which is disappointing, but then, should "bad" design (like the games described above) define a genre?
---
#5aray48Posted 3/9/2014 2:28:11 PM
The reason I don't consider Titanfall a mech game is because I prefer playing as a pilot. Most of the time I will either let my titan kill stuff on its own. And if my titan dies and I need to eject I feel relief because I can go back to wallrunning.

But to answer your first question more specifically, a mech game is a game with mechs...not a game that controls as if you were a mech. That almost makes no sense. Plus, mech movements are based on human movements.
#6Depth_scroll(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 3:07:45 PM
aray48 posted...
But to answer your first question more specifically, a mech game is a game with mechs...not a game that controls as if you were a mech. That almost makes no sense. Plus, mech movements are based on human movements.

I'm more concerned with feel more than I'm concerned with look/theme, so controlling like a mech kinda makes sense, but if the character is also mechanical. It would compromise standard controls, but when you have games like Dreamcast's Red Dog: Superior Firepower working well even with a single analog stick controller, you know there's room to experiment.
---
#7aray48Posted 3/9/2014 3:24:46 PM
I still don't understand the point of your question though.
#8Depth_scroll(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 3:27:57 PM
I was just disappointed that today's mech games are nothing more than disguised First Person Shooters, Hawken being another to go along with the much talked about Titanfall. The question served its purposed, to expose and know if anyone agreed with me.
---
#9LooksLikeRainPosted 3/9/2014 3:30:45 PM
Depth_scroll posted...
What I meant is that games like classic Tomb Raider, Gun Valkyrie and Resident Evil 4 feature a combination of movement and camera control that better resembles how a Mech should control:
- in Tomb Raider she controls like a tank and can look around by rotating her torso to its limits;
- in Resident Evil 4 you also control like a tank, and you have the option to look further to the sides without turning;
- in Gun Valkyrie the characters move closer to classic Tomb Raider, but with the second analog stick it's much easier to look around while you move. The catch is that it's limited to torso rotation.

Some Mech games are only FPS in structure, which is disappointing, but then, should "bad" design (like the games described above) define a genre?

wat.
---
Is that a W shirt?
#10aray48Posted 3/9/2014 3:48:43 PM
Depth_scroll posted...
I was just disappointed that today's mech games are nothing more than disguised First Person Shooters, Hawken being another to go along with the much talked about Titanfall. The question served its purposed, to expose and know if anyone agreed with me.

Well, that is what a mech game is. It is a game where you can play as/in a mech. Your question is asking if games where your characters feel as if they are mechs should be considered mechs too.