Can Xbox one get viruses?

#1OrgeLambartPosted 3/9/2014 8:42:57 PM
I know the Xbox 360 was pretty much immune to viruses as most viruses are written with the PC in mind and didn't work on the 360 console.

My question is, since the Xbox one is more aligned to the PC, can it get viruses or can I surf the internet including the unsafe virus laden sites I used to visit on my 360?
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#2RebelGameMasterPosted 3/9/2014 8:45:09 PM
I remember seeing a guy who said he got one and called MS. He came here for help and the XDF bombarded the poor guy. Pretty sure he sold his Xbone or something.
---
This dispute is an abuse of the dispute form. Any further abuse of the form will result in loss of posting privileges or your account.
#3That_Damn_KidPosted 3/9/2014 8:46:11 PM
RebelGameMaster posted...
I remember seeing a guy who said he got one and called MS. He came here for help and the XDF bombarded the poor guy. Pretty sure he sold his Xbone or something.

yeah i don't think he ever mentioned what he did with it
---
I'm not a kid, I just act like one
GT: ITS DAT DAM KID --- PSN: Lamburghini89///PS4, X1, Wii U, 360, 3DS
#4OrgeLambart(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 8:46:32 PM
he got a virus on his xbox one? that's not cool, was hoping because it's a console and not running on windows it would be alright on the virus front.
---
#5PulpPosted 3/9/2014 8:46:47 PM
Theoretically, yes.

There isn't much point to target a console though.
---
INTEL 533MHZ PIII 512k/133, ALL-IN-Wonder 128 Pro AGP, 128MB SDRAM, Sound Blaster 32AWE, 47GB Elite SCSI, Win98
#6Tweekster13Posted 3/9/2014 8:47:28 PM
RebelGameMaster posted...

What happened was the guy got a virus, everyone rushed in to say he was lying, and a troll, then he posted proof. Long story short, you can, but it seems to be rare.
---
Bippity boppity bacon
PSNs: StormtrooprODeth(main), Tweekster13(Alt)
#7OrgeLambart(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 8:47:44 PM
Pulp posted...
Theoretically, yes.

There isn't much point to target a console though.

so the virus would have to be targeted at the console right. That's kind of what I figured since a virus needs to work off the operating system. I didn't think Xbone was using windows
---
#8OrgeLambart(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 8:48:41 PM
I guess if you can, the real question should be, is it covered under the return policy if you get a virus for looking at unsavory websites?
---
#9Tweekster13Posted 3/9/2014 8:51:13 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
I guess if you can, the real question should be, is it covered under the return policy if you get a virus for looking at unsavory websites?

Iirc, xbox did warranty the console for him, yes.
---
Bippity boppity bacon
PSNs: StormtrooprODeth(main), Tweekster13(Alt)
#10Fade2black001Posted 3/9/2014 8:52:41 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
he got a virus on his xbox one? that's not cool, was hoping because it's a console and not running on windows it would be alright on the virus front.

Anything can get a virus
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.