Can Xbox one get viruses?

#11RebelGameMasterPosted 3/9/2014 8:00:21 PM
Tweekster13 posted...
RebelGameMaster posted...
I remember seeing a guy who said he got one and called MS. He came here for help and the XDF bombarded the poor guy. Pretty sure he sold his Xbone or something.

What happened was the guy got a virus, everyone rushed in to say he was lying, and a troll, then he posted proof. Long story short, you can, but it seems to be rare.

Ah, yes, I remember now.
---
This dispute is an abuse of the dispute form. Any further abuse of the form will result in loss of posting privileges or your account.
#12MonicasBackPosted 3/9/2014 8:02:54 PM
Pulp posted...
Theoretically, yes.

There isn't much point to target a console though.

Stealing CC info
---
Monicaaa
#13PorungaPosted 3/9/2014 8:04:05 PM
Any online device can get a virus, if a virus was written specifically for that device. The systems OS would need to be "hacked" and accessed for anything like that to be written. So yes, it can.. but very unlikely.
#14aheroafakePosted 3/9/2014 8:24:49 PM
Tweekster13 posted...
I remember seeing a guy who said he got one and called MS. He came here for help and the XDF bombarded the poor guy. Pretty sure he sold his Xbone or something.

What happened was the guy got a virus, everyone rushed in to say he was lying, and a troll, then he posted proof. Long story short, you can, but it seems to be rare.

And that guy was me. I had to come into this topic as soon as I saw the title, lol. As for the people that accused me of being a troll and liar, most of them never came back after I posted the video on youtube. Turns out it wasn't a virus but again, I wasn't trolling. It was just ignorance on my part.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#15aheroafakePosted 3/9/2014 8:26:31 PM
That_Damn_Kid posted...

yeah i don't think he ever mentioned what he did with it

I actually did mention what I did with it. I exchanged it for a new one.
---
#16crynryanPosted 3/9/2014 8:54:35 PM
In order for there to be a virus, the OS has to first be reverse-engineered, meaning people need to decrypt and figure out how it works.

That hasn't been done yet, nor has any console ever got viruses from just playing games or surfing the web.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#17Enigma149Posted 3/9/2014 8:58:50 PM
aheroafake posted...
Tweekster13 posted...

And that guy was me. I had to come into this topic as soon as I saw the title, lol. As for the people that accused me of being a troll and liar, most of them never came back after I posted the video on youtube. Turns out it wasn't a virus but again, I wasn't trolling. It was just ignorance on my part.

Considering the only guy to claim to have a virus just said it wasn't a virus, I'm going to say, 'no'.

I mean, in theory, almost anything can get a virus, but in practice, you only really need to worry about it on a computer or android phone.
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#18Anarchy612Posted 3/9/2014 9:05:11 PM
aheroafake posted...
Tweekster13 posted...

If I may ask, what was it then? I wasn't around for this topic so I'm a little curious. Also could you link that YouTube vid?
---
Every time I finish a Studio Ghibli film, I just don't want to live in reality anymore. It just takes my breath away.
#19MyLordGodPosted 3/9/2014 9:49:58 PM
aheroafake posted...
That_Damn_Kid posted...

I remember that reading that thread...

So if it wasn't a virus, why did you have it exchanged? Was it impossible to troubleshoot and rectify the issue yourself?(with the help of a xbox tech support on the phone)
#20aheroafakePosted 3/9/2014 11:32:56 PM
MyLordGod posted...
aheroafake posted...
That_Damn_Kid posted...

I remember that reading that thread...

So if it wasn't a virus, why did you have it exchanged? Was it impossible to troubleshoot and rectify the issue yourself?(with the help of a xbox tech support on the phone)

I had it exchanged because even though it wasn't a virus, my system kept glitching on me and crap and I just didn't feel like having to send it to Microsoft and wait how ever long it was for them to fix it and send it back to me.
---