Article: "The Console Market Is In Crisis"

#1Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/9/2014 10:31:55 PM
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/09/console-crisis/

A fairly good read, which seems reinforce the imminent implosion of console gaming.

The Wii U has certainly flopped – but, taken as a whole, the console market is generally not shipping the numbers it once was. The Xbox One’s sales look especially bad compared to the previous gen Xbox 360. But even the PS2 was selling more units than the PS4 at the equivalent point in its sales cycle.

It’s been noted elsewhere that total industry sales (hardware and software) in January 2014 were down 1 percent year-over-year – and that in a year when two new flagship consoles have just been released vs the low bar set by consoles sales last year with no such flagship hardware releases to accelerate games sales. So again, not exactly a sign of a healthy market overall.

Yet another troubling reality for consoles — which is really a symptom of an ailing ecosystem — is dwindling choice of games titles. The days of a wide range of console experiences – from niche small games, through a diverse array of mid-sized titles, up to the flagship triple A blockbuster titles – are gone.

The industry has condensed games development to focus on blockbuster titles – likely because of the rising costs of development requiring a commensurately sizeable pay-off at the end — and even those blockbusters are diminishing in quantity, as there are fewer big games companies left to make these increasingly expensive titles. It’s now a couple of big titles per company per year – titles that are also mostly sequels or proven formula games, rather than something new.

The result: less choice for console gamers – ergo, less incentive to buy a console in the first place. If there’s only a handful of exclusive titles to push you to buy a console, only hardcore fanboys are going to shell out the $400/$500 required to own new generation hardware. That doesn’t sound like a sustainable market.

What are your thoughts?
#2Enigma149Posted 3/9/2014 10:34:26 PM
What region is this?

Sure, the Wii U has flopped... but the X1's ahead of the 360 and the PS4's the fastest-selling console...
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#3aszsithPosted 3/9/2014 10:35:50 PM
Well, when by the 2nd paragraph the author states that the consoles are selling worse that the previous generations which is inaccurate, I stopped reading their opinion piece since it was obvious they don't know what they are talking about.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#4VanderZooPosted 3/9/2014 10:47:06 PM
What the above two posters have said - the PS4/XB1 are selling better than their last gen counter-parts. So the author is simply incorrect.

PS4 is at this point in its life cycle the fastest selling PS console, and I've even heard the fastest selling console full stop. Though I'd need to see evidence that it's selling even faster than the Wii was.
#5Enigma149Posted 3/9/2014 10:56:06 PM
VanderZoo posted...
What the above two posters have said - the PS4/XB1 are selling better than their last gen counter-parts. So the author is simply incorrect.

PS4 is at this point in its life cycle the fastest selling PS console, and I've even heard the fastest selling console full stop. Though I'd need to see evidence that it's selling even faster than the Wii was.

The Wii had supply issues - even more so than the PS4. Those things were selling for 3 times the MSRP. Even a year after launch people had trouble finding them.
---
"The winner is the gamer who gets to play all of the games, and the game developer who is recognized for the great games they made." -Retroxgamer0
#6teehee23Posted 3/9/2014 11:50:06 PM
My thoughts:

Wii U was destined to flop with its complete lack of 3rd party support.
PS4 is off to a strong start among casual gamers but will falter as the big name games for it sell poorly or get cancelled (like God of War).
Xbox #1 is the choice for the few remaining true hardcore oldschool gamers.

The console market is in a crisis with soaring costs of game development but thankfully we have hundreds of our all-time classic favorite fun-stuff games to forever replay.
---
We believe Jack Tretton quit working at Sony to play more Titanfall on Xbox #1.
#7TheCyborgNinjaPosted 3/9/2014 11:53:59 PM
Gaming used to involve exclusives and unique consoles. Now it's so expensive that companies only feel safe making lowest common dude-bro software, and pimping it in every console.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#8YomonachiPosted 3/10/2014 1:45:27 AM
teehee23 posted...
My thoughts:

Wii U was destined to flop with its complete lack of 3rd party support.
PS4 is off to a strong start among casual gamers but will falter as the big name games for it sell poorly or get cancelled (like God of War).
Xbox #1 is the choice for the few remaining true hardcore oldschool gamers.

The console market is in a crisis with soaring costs of game development but thankfully we have hundreds of our all-time classic favorite fun-stuff games to forever replay.

The God of War project was rebooted, not cancelled. Well, cancelled so it could be rebooted properly.
---
1st in the State (Again), 13th in the Nation :) PSN: Soruichi_Kitty
"Try laughing some more."
#9wake_me_420Posted 3/10/2014 3:52:34 AM(edited)
TheCyborgNinja posted...
Gaming used to involve exclusives and unique consoles. Now it's so expensive that companies only feel safe making lowest common dude-bro software, and pimping it in every console.

thanks for reminding me how much I miss Sega being in the hardware market...yes even the Sega CD
---
Check out this sweet box fort I made. Dare I say, 'World's Greatest' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jo57wauuvA
#10BSerenityPosted 3/10/2014 3:51:35 AM
aszsith posted...
Well, when by the 2nd paragraph the author states that the consoles are selling worse that the previous generations which is inaccurate, I stopped reading their opinion piece since it was obvious they don't know what they are talking about.

This.
---
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.