Article: "The Console Market Is In Crisis"

#21AsellusPosted 3/10/2014 6:53:06 AM
That's actually not true. There's several other articles around that have done the math and say the PS4 has higher sales than the Wii for the same time period. I dont know about PS2 but considering gaming wasnt as popular of a hobby during the first 3 months of the PS2 launch i would say it's likely the PS4 is higher than that too.

Ah, double checked, that comparison for the Wii's top-selling month, not its launch month and both were purely in NA.
#22Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 3/10/2014 7:27:15 AM
teehee23 posted...

Xbox #1 is the choice for the few remaining true hardcore oldschool gamers.

I didn't know that hardcore old school gamers preferred gimmicky motion controls and an ADHD compliant UI.

Wait a second... Did I just respond to Teehee? Dammit, I've been Rick Rolled!
---
Squeeze your mother's neck... 'til the kicking stops... the memories stop!
#23MRL3G3NDPosted 3/10/2014 7:53:55 AM
I've been saying this for years...no one listened...

If you owned the original xbox, you could see that a lot of genres are plain ole missing...once game development was an artform. Developers sought out to blow your mind with their creativity

then they let greedy corporate ass hats come in and destroy it...they weren't investing in anything but sure shots...and they were not trying to blow minds as much as they were trying to save money...

then we got spammed with sequels up the wazoo...other games started copying other games just to get noticed. Gametime dwindled to 6-10...smh

And they tried to keep the last gen going for so long because they have no intentions of pushing technology further... they only did that because we forced them too

I tried to escape to PC gaming, but they only had console ports...

if they keep up with this soulless game development, yes console gaming will crash

My prediction is that VR gaming will save it...MS will try to jump on the bandwagon later
---
TITANFALL+GOOD MUSIC
http://youtu.be/QmwqqAq0GxM
#24Maverick_ReznorPosted 3/10/2014 8:01:04 AM
teehee23 posted...
My thoughts:

Wii U was destined to flop with its complete lack of 3rd party support.
PS4 is off to a strong start among casual gamers but will falter as the big name games for it sell poorly or get cancelled (like God of War).

The console market is in a crisis with soaring costs of game development but thankfully we have hundreds of our all-time classic favorite fun-stuff games to forever replay.

xbox one is the choice for the few remaining hardcore old school gamers? Hey kid, old school gamers didnt start in 6th gen.
---
Currently Playing : Bravely Default, DKC:TF and Darks Souls
Looking Forward To: Destiny, MK8, I:SS, ESO,and The Order 1886
#25aszsithPosted 3/10/2014 10:10:20 AM
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...
teehee23 posted...

I didn't know that hardcore old school gamers preferred gimmicky motion controls and an ADHD compliant UI.

Wait a second... Did I just respond to Teehee? Dammit, I've been Rick Rolled!

They aren't on your ignore list yet?
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#26Garage_ManPosted 3/10/2014 10:26:06 AM
MRL3G3ND posted...
I've been saying this for years...no one listened...

If you owned the original xbox, you could see that a lot of genres are plain ole missing...once game development was an artform. Developers sought out to blow your mind with their creativity

then they let greedy corporate ass hats come in and destroy it...they weren't investing in anything but sure shots...and they were not trying to blow minds as much as they were trying to save money...

then we got spammed with sequels up the wazoo...other games started copying other games just to get noticed. Gametime dwindled to 6-10...smh

And they tried to keep the last gen going for so long because they have no intentions of pushing technology further... they only did that because we forced them too

I tried to escape to PC gaming, but they only had console ports...

if they keep up with this soulless game development, yes console gaming will crash

My prediction is that VR gaming will save it...MS will try to jump on the bandwagon later

I agree with most of this, you know gaming is in a slump when such great titles as titanfall score 9/10...or that Sony is banking on infamous which is a awful game imo. We have shooters/action/sequels.

Honestly the game market now reminds me of Hollywood. Gone is creativity and art form. We are living in a world where they copy just to make $$. Even once great titles such as final fantasy have cashed in. Honestly that's why I really hate Microsoft, games were fine for decades then they brought in the multiplayer stuff and bam thus ended the creative era.
#27Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 1:15:28 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
#28mike468Posted 3/10/2014 1:29:59 PM(edited)
Enigma149 posted...
What region is this?

Sure, the Wii U has flopped... but the X1's ahead of the 360 and the PS4's the fastest-selling console...

I read the article somewhere else. It's not just about total sales, but monthly sales.

January 2014 sales are down compared to the January after the launch of the last gen consoles.

January 2006 - 2 million consoles sold (360, ps3, Wii, etc)
January 2014 - 700,000 consoles sold (360, XBO, ps3, ps4, Wii u, etc)

The article is interesting, but there are a lot of other factors to consider too. Last gen consoles when they launched where in short supply, which could account for higher sales volume, with orders being filled later. Not to mention the economy.

It's definitely food for thought that though, that the console market could contracting and getting smaller.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#29SabramPosted 3/11/2014 8:43:32 PM
teehee23 posted...
My thoughts:

Wii U was destined to flop with its complete lack of 3rd party support.
PS4 is off to a strong start among casual gamers but will falter as the big name games for it sell poorly or get cancelled (like God of War).

The console market is in a crisis with soaring costs of game development but thankfully we have hundreds of our all-time classic favorite fun-stuff games to forever replay.

I like how you keep referencing that Xbox is for "true hardcore oldschool gamers" yet the Playstation brand has been around much longer than the Xbox brand.

So really the oldschool gamers stick with Sony, only the new kids to the hobby go with Xbox.
---
I have discovered the perfect game. It is called Starbound, and shall be played forever.
PSN: Sabram