Anyone miss single player FPS that's more than corridor A-B?

#1aj4x94Posted 3/10/2014 11:11:32 AM(edited)
It seems like these days, developers are too afraid to stray from making a single player First Person shooter that consists more that following the onscreen waypoint while your AI teammates feed you ammo and shout Oscar Miken after you fall onto your back in slow motion in a scripted explosion.

What happened to the labyrinth like map design where you could find secret weapon caches, easter eggs, and what not? Actual ammo and health conservation? And the best part - more than two weapons!

Dunno...was just playing a bit of Doom earlier when it really hit me that this 21 year old game is far more advanced in design than most FPS games of today. And this picture could not be more true.

http://www.aspaceman.com/wp-content/gallery/blog_1/fpsmapdesign.jpg
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls, Lords of Shadow, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, GTA V.
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#2NCPwnPosted 3/10/2014 11:12:25 AM
That's why Goldeneye 64 was so awesome.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#3CKnightPosted 3/10/2014 11:14:24 AM
Nope. I hate aaimlessly wondering around flipping switches, not know where to go, ect.

Give me A to B action with challenging AI and cool cinematic moments and I'm good.
---
"No...you live with it." - Fumbles
#4cocaiserPosted 3/10/2014 11:14:29 AM
I think it has more to do with appealing to w wider audience than appeasing to gamers like you and me. I missed many of the old mentalities of game designs, but sadly I have to look elsewhere to find them. Anyway, I feel your pain bro.

I wish some of these new games bring back easter eggs, weapon caches, and so on.
---
A personal attack is committed when a person substitutes abusive remarks for evidence when attacking another person's claim or claims.
#5crynryanPosted 3/10/2014 11:17:02 AM
I hated the Doom design, walk around the level aimlessly trying to find keys and whatnot, then get to the end of the level and figure out you still need more keys or something. Stuff like the original Tomb Raiders did this too.

It's more streamlined with games these days, as people really just don't have the time anymore.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#6userfrigginamePosted 3/10/2014 11:19:38 AM
Pretty unrealistic to have more than two or three weapons. If we're talking about the realism of ammo and health conservation, then the amount of weapons you'd be able to carry should factor into that. Anyway yeah, a little more variety would be nice.
#7Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 3/10/2014 11:23:08 AM
Star Wars: Dark Forces was one of the greatest FPSers I have ever played. The art and sound design were top tier (for the time), but with regards to this topic, it had that perfect blend of open / linear action.

I spent too many Saturday afternoons chugging through that game.
---
Squeeze your mother's neck... 'til the kicking stops... the memories stop!
#8aj4x94(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 11:26:12 AM
userfrigginame posted...
Pretty unrealistic to have more than two or three weapons. If we're talking about the realism of ammo and health conservation, then the amount of weapons you'd be able to carry should factor into that. Anyway yeah, a little more variety would be nice.

Fun>Realism Every. Single. Time. Grand Theft Auto IV is a testament to that.

Back in the old days, you had more than 2 weapons at your disposal and the game still managed to be a decent challenge. I should not have to worry about snipers or other enemies picking at me because I had to swap out the rifle for the shotgun. Get rid of complete regenerating health and give us a hybrid of that and medpacks. Like FarCry 3, Resistance 3, Condemned 2, and Mass Effect 3.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls, Lords of Shadow, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, GTA V.
#9Killah PriestPosted 3/10/2014 11:28:11 AM
worst thing in games:

labyrinth like map design causing me to spend more time figuring out where to go than I should.

I like corridor shooters because I hate figuring out where to go, its probably the most frustrating thing for me in a game.

I love the games that added little breadcrumb markers too showing you where to go.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#10aj4x94(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 11:30:02 AM
Killah Priest posted...

I love the games that added little breadcrumb markers too showing you where to go.

You know what game did this particularly well? Dead Space.
---