Anyone miss single player FPS that's more than corridor A-B?

#21SikkaSillPosted 3/10/2014 11:52:24 AM
Killah Priest posted...
Well it did seem like you were calling me out assuming that I want the game to play itself for me as opposed to just realizing that I find it incredibly frustrating to get lost.

Sorry I didn't mean to seem like i was attacking you, I just read the post and specifically saw you like bread crumb trails and I think that is one of the worst additions in gaming in a while... I don't like getting lost either, but before I get lost I have to exhaust all my possible choices and thoughts first, THEN get frustrated that I am completely stumped. Although I do love that Demon Souls and Dark Souls did this to me, and have no frustration towards how they implemented it in their game.
---
RIP DP, gonna miss you bro! "Bwahhhhh" - Me
http://dragonsdogma.tumblr.com/post/20794618336
#22TMOGPosted 3/10/2014 11:56:11 AM
So what I'm getting from this topic is that FPS gamers don't want mazes, puzzles, and thought put into their games, they just want hallways they can follow with floating markers to make sure they're walking forwards and not backwards.

This is why I got so ****ing tired of FPS games.
---
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6870/tmog01.png
#23RedEnsignPosted 3/10/2014 12:06:11 PM
userfrigginame posted...
Pretty unrealistic to have more than two or three weapons. If we're talking about the realism of ammo and health conservation, then the amount of weapons you'd be able to carry should factor into that. Anyway yeah, a little more variety would be nice.

There's not a single mainstream FPS these days that's realistic. Try to take anything you do/learn in a CoD or BF game onto an actual battlefield and you're a corpse in the first 60 second guaranteed. For the record I can easily carry my shotgun on my back, have 2 of my 3 pistols around my waist, effectively wield my morningstar or sword in my left and equip a small buckler in my right. I've seriously equipped all of this to test my prep for a Zombie outbreak, Walking Dead style Zombies, and am still quite mobile :-)
---
I couldn't believe the company I work for sold EA exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. Then I realized when they fail, we still get paid. Well played Bob.
#24Killah PriestPosted 3/10/2014 12:07:50 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to seem like i was attacking you, I just read the post and specifically saw you like bread crumb trails and I think that is one of the worst additions in gaming in a while... I don't like getting lost either, but before I get lost I have to exhaust all my possible choices and thoughts first, THEN get frustrated that I am completely stumped. Although I do love that Demon Souls and Dark Souls did this to me, and have no frustration towards how they implemented it in their game.

I don't know if you saw the edit I made to my post but I specifically mentioned Dark Souls. I never felt frustrated by that game at all because it felt like you were actually using good trial and error methods to succeed and find your path, never really pulled something so random you were like "ok there was absolutely no way I could figure this out on my own unless I got lucky"
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#25aj4x94(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 3:18:06 PM
Man, if only we got a new FPS that has the following, I'd be a happy camper

-HD graphics
-Awesome level design
-No 2 weapon limit(weapon wheel for console)
-Segmented health bar with partial regeneration
-Little to no QTEs
-No constant on screen waypoint marker. Maps or a tracker line ala Dead Space, Bioshock Infinite
-Lots of levels with secrets or a large open world with plenty of secret spots.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Half Life 2, Dark Souls, Lords of Shadow, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, GTA V.
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#26CKnightPosted 3/10/2014 9:34:19 PM
It seems like Halo does it all the best. Nice mix of open maps and corridors. You pretty much always know where to go with some parts worth exploring.
---
"No...you live with it." - Fumbles
#27Pinoy441Posted 3/10/2014 10:55:21 PM
Most of these games that people want are sadly just games that hold their hand from Start to finish because exploring is too hard for their brains.

Eventually games are just gonna boil down to pushing one button labeled "Resolve" and the entire thing will play itself.

Yeah...great "innovation" guys
---
*grabs popcorn*
#28Foxx3kPosted 3/10/2014 11:00:47 PM
Pinoy441 posted...
Most of these games that people want are sadly just games that hold their hand from Start to finish because exploring is too hard for their brains.

Eventually games are just gonna boil down to pushing one button labeled "Resolve" and the entire thing will play itself.

Yeah...great "innovation" guys

*looks at Quantic Dream*
*looks at Telltale Games*

... Eventually?
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#29BushidoEffect3Posted 3/10/2014 11:10:06 PM
Quantic Dream isn't linear like COD. Heavy Rain had literally over a dozen endings depending on what you do. More so than Mass Effect outcomes.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibgMA0LFIXHWnz.gif
FO3>NV. Opinion. Don't agree? I don't care. (>^_^)>
#30Shaolin015Posted 3/11/2014 3:06:02 AM
aj4x94 posted...
It seems like these days, developers are too afraid to stray from making a single player First Person shooter that consists more that following the onscreen waypoint while your AI teammates feed you ammo and shout Oscar Miken after you fall onto your back in slow motion in a scripted explosion.

What happened to the labyrinth like map design where you could find secret weapon caches, easter eggs, and what not? Actual ammo and health conservation? And the best part - more than two weapons!

Dunno...was just playing a bit of Doom earlier when it really hit me that this 21 year old game is far more advanced in design than most FPS games of today. And this picture could not be more true.

http://www.aspaceman.com/wp-content/gallery/blog_1/fpsmapdesign.jpg

TC. Check out far cry 3. Sounds like you might enjoy the open world fps