This is the reason why games should not be online only

#21WildsparkPosted 3/11/2014 8:45:13 PM
BrockObama posted...
Respawn got it right. Shooters have no business being anything but online. Private matches on LAN are good too if the game can be played competitively.

Single-player shooter games are a thing of the past. The market is dwindling. Players that get through substantial parts of a campaign are now the exception, not the rule.

I wouldn't want to play Bioshock infinite online.
---
I'm peeing on my face too. On the inside- Jack Black
#22MOATS7798Posted 3/11/2014 8:48:05 PM
Wow...ONE DAY since launch this system has had an issue being online, which is today, so yes I still agree with "Always online" and the original DRM policies...
---
In all my years of gaming I've never walked into a store and purchased a game that I've wanted to play based on the resolution.
#23DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/11/2014 8:48:08 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
BrockObama posted...
Respawn got it right. Shooters have no business being anything but online. Private matches on LAN are good too if the game can be played competitively.

Single-player shooter games are a thing of the past. The market is dwindling. Players that get through substantial parts of a campaign are now the exception, not the rule.

Single player shooters are not the thing of the past, in fact more people like single player games than MP. SP FPS games can be quite immersive if done right. Even top notch MP FPS games such as TF2 has offline mode where you can play by yourself against bots, Unreal Tournament, etc. There is no reason to keep an FPS exclusive to being online only unless it's in a world that constantly changes(Planetside)

Noobs... shooters have been all about online ever since Counter Strike. Whether they had offline capabilities was besides the point. The game was made to be played online and wasting resources and spreading yourself thin just to deliver a tacked on SP mode is idiotic. Bottom line, people aren't going to pay $60 so they can play against bots, its just not a targetable demographic.

AI being stupid or not has very little to do with anything. Its about how many of them you can employ and what they can do. They aren't meant to be powerful and being powerful has very little to do with good AI anyways so it was a pretty silly comment. You can make bad AI powerful and good AI weak... Absolutely zero reason to compromise the game just because servers are down for some people for like a day.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#24CharocksPosted 3/11/2014 9:03:46 PM
Hi everyone. Phil Spencer here and today I want to talk about the service outage that many people have been encountering.

You see, with the INFINITE POWER OF THE ALMIGHTY CLOUD, we at Microsoft believed that made us exempt from Murphy's Law and the many factors that can affect our spying program.

To be blunt, when we said we wanted an all digital console, we had our heads stuffed in our colons. We ignored how the unchangable HDD would limit gamers giving us their money and what would happen if our servers decided to take a break.

But who cares because Xbone has TV!

---
Former Xbox Fan - A Flying Ewok
Official Arrow in the Knee of the Skyrim board (360)
#25aheroafakePosted 3/11/2014 9:06:24 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
dclownprince posted...
Lol how do you think I feel. Not only did I buy the TF bundle, I was one of the 2 that didn't see any problems with the digital and always online. Now if you excuse me I'll continue to wipe the egg from my face and hope I can log on tomorrow

I don't recall any online only game (MMOs mostly) that didn't have issues with connections on launch, but this game could easily have an offline mode at least.

I don't remember any connection issues, nor did I hear about any with Battlefield 1943 when it launched on Xbox 360.
---
| Undead Soldier | Undead Army | Undead Hollywood |
| Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man | PSN ID: CapatanAznMan |
#26Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 9:13:43 PM
aheroafake posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
dclownprince posted...
Lol how do you think I feel. Not only did I buy the TF bundle, I was one of the 2 that didn't see any problems with the digital and always online. Now if you excuse me I'll continue to wipe the egg from my face and hope I can log on tomorrow

I don't recall any online only game (MMOs mostly) that didn't have issues with connections on launch, but this game could easily have an offline mode at least.

I don't remember any connection issues, nor did I hear about any with Battlefield 1943 when it launched on Xbox 360.

Connection issues now
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#27Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 9:16:12 PM
MOATS7798 posted...
Wow...ONE DAY since launch this system has had an issue being online, which is today, so yes I still agree with "Always online" and the original DRM policies...

actually Xbox Live been down a few times since the Xbox One launch.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
#28Xeeh_Bitz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 9:17:21 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Because a few users had a few hours of difficulty within twenty four hours of launch?

That's a rather outrageous reason to restrict "allowable" vision for game design.

Stop trying to defend the outage, I'm just referring to the game should have an offline mode so you can just play against bots without having to log in to play. Where is all this defense coming from? Why defend it, it's only POSITIVE that there is an offline mode for bot play.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
#29Foxx3kPosted 3/11/2014 9:24:08 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Foxx3k posted...
Because a few users had a few hours of difficulty within twenty four hours of launch?

That's a rather outrageous reason to restrict "allowable" vision for game design.

Stop trying to defend the outage, I'm just referring to the game should have an offline mode so you can just play against bots without having to log in to play. Where is all this defense coming from? Why defend it, it's only POSITIVE that there is an offline mode for bot play.

Wrong.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#30DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/11/2014 9:24:50 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Who is defending it? You made a bad proposition in order to stealth troll and people shut you down for it. Why should they waste their time on a SP bot mode? Answer is, they shouldn't. It adds nothing. Having to have waited a few hours to play doesn't change this. If they even had to spend 5 days to make the bot mode, it would have been time taken from making the MP better.

Apparently, in your mind, its free to make other stuff. In reality, if they made a bot mode and it was crap (because it was just tacked on), people would use it and then mark the game down by saying "lol, look how bad this mode is".
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H