Phil Spencer apologizes It's better to just be direct and honest.

#1LEGEND_KILLERRRPosted 3/13/2014 12:19:14 PM
We shouldn't have "sugar-coated" the Xbox One controversy, admits Phil Spencer
"It's better to just be direct and honest."

Posted on Thursday 13-Mar-2014 3:14 AM PDT By Edwin Evans-Thirlwell, Deputy Editor for OXM

Speaking at the SXSW Gaming Expo 2014 in Austin, Texas, Microsoft's Phil Spencer has conceded that Microsoft's Xbox One messaging across the May 2013 reveal event and E3 2013 could have been handled better. Spencer is adamant, however, that all of it came from a good place.

"I look at last summer and that wasn't a highpoint for me, coming out of the announcement of Xbox One and E3, where I thought our messaging around what we believed in was confused," he admitted (via gerrenlaquint). Spencer didn't specify which aspects of the messaging Microsoft had gotten wrong, but the reference is presumably to the console's now-abandoned 24 hour online DRM checks in particular.

"One of the reasons I wanted to be a little more active socially was because I knew the core of why we were in this industry was not an evil reason," he continued. "It was to really delight consumers and build a great product that millions and millions of people would love.

"I learned a ton last summer as leader of our groups about being true to your core vision about what a product is, not being confusing, and frankly, when you're going to say something to a consumer that might put them off, it's better to just be direct and honest, rather than trying to sugar-coat something that might be controversial.

"I'd rather deal with the controversy of what we're doing, and have an above-table conversation about that topic, rather than trying to sugar-coat it with some other news. And again, my interactions over the last six months, and I really think the interactions of [Xbox chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi] and [Xbox corporate vice president Marc Whitten] and other members of the leadership team - we're meaning to build on what we learned last summer, and just build on who we are as people."

This represents something of a retreat from Spencer's stand in August last year, when he argued that gamers buy consoles for games, not press events. Spencer did, however, observe at the time that "it's important that we remain in a two-way dialogue with gamers and potential customers about what they would like to see".

How do you feel about the Xbox One's public image right now? I think we can all agree that there are some great titles available for the console, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. Right?
---
GT HauntedBlueMoon Respect Competition. (Don't Hate it)
#2OpheliaAdenadePosted 3/13/2014 12:20:59 PM
I've got to give him props for owning up to it. Admitting you have a problem is the first step of recovery. o.o
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#3LEGEND_KILLERRR(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2014 12:28:28 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
I've got to give him props for owning up to it. Admitting you have a problem is the first step of recovery. o.o

yeah its really nice unlike some companies
---
GT HauntedBlueMoon Respect Competition. (Don't Hate it)
#4assassin10133Posted 3/13/2014 12:40:37 PM
Yup, at least they can admit it
#5overlordlaharl0Posted 3/13/2014 12:46:15 PM
huh?
---
http://unblogdesu.com/wp-content/uploads/imas-mami-punch.jpg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Falcon Punch.
#6GondolinRisesPosted 3/13/2014 12:48:20 PM
Yeah losing by about 2-3 million in console sales does a lot for the soul apparently. But face it, MS would continue its evil ways if they had gotten away with the xb1 pre-180's. Especially if they weren't losing the console war so badly.

In fact, judging from this board, xbone one trolls have cornered the market on flagrant dishonesty and sugar coating things. Look at Teehee for example. He should be banned and isn't...why? Because of dishonesty.
---
Can't keep a good man down. More Fe + C than you.
#7SonyPonyTonyPosted 3/13/2014 12:49:04 PM
Xbox employees owning up while $ony employees acting like fanboys on twitter. These companies are going in opposite ways. I'm glad MS is going the way of gamer and being mature. Props MS
---
http://minus.com/lbfiUvu5vxhhzA
#8Xbox_TVPosted 3/13/2014 12:51:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3543175980/9da768fcaae57a15ca58564bc6afd9ce.jpeg
#9Ramsus082Posted 3/13/2014 12:51:09 PM
They're not admitting anything. They're still trying to make it out as if the uproar was over us not understanding and being confused about their amazing vision, rather than what actually happened; the wholesale rejection from the entire industry of what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it.

They keep undermining our intelligence by saying "if only we could have made you people understand what we wanted for you, everything would have been different for us!" rather than "clearly we misjudged our fanbase and what they wanted from us, so we're sorry and we're going to try and make it up to you" and everyone here wants to eat it up because people are so attracted to an underdog story, that they'll fill in the blanks themselves.

The problem wasn't their messaging, it was their message Am I off-base?
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#10Sinful_LifePosted 3/13/2014 12:52:36 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
They're not admitting anything. They're still trying to make it out as if the uproar was over us not understanding and being confused about their amazing vision, rather than what actually happened; the wholesale rejection from the entire industry of what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it.

---
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto