A Theory Behind Surge in Xbox One Sales - Titanfall?

#1skermacPosted 3/14/2014 6:00:26 AM
For those that say TF isn't a system seller. Well, some of us told you so. I say it was not only sales but the anticipation as stated in this article.

"In January, Sony’s PlayStation 4 walloped Microsoft’s Xbox One console in sales, outselling it in the United States nearly two-to-one.

But in figures from February that were released Thursday afternoon by NPD, the retail tracking firm, the Xbox One nearly matched the United States sales of the PlayStation 4, selling more than 90 percent of the units that Sony sold of its new system. Because the Xbox One costs $100 more than Sony’s machine, Microsoft actually brought in more revenue than Sony did from its console, according to NPD.

The huge buzz around Titanfall, an exclusive game for Microsoft devices, led to speculation that Microsoft would see a significant uptick in sales for the Xbox One.

But Titanfall wasn’t released until March 11, too late to be included in NPD’s February numbers. Perhaps people bought the new Xbox early in anticipation of Titanfall coming out?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/a-theory-behind-surge-in-xbox-one-sales/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2PrinceMedionPosted 3/14/2014 6:15:03 AM
It's called Tax Season. Most people get money back and purchase expensive things in Feb/March and part of April. The difference here is that X1's haven't sold out anywhere, PS4's are still sold out everywhere and Sony had to ship units to Japan for its launch meaning we got less PS4's in the rest of the world this month then January.

You'll likely see a bigger surge in March with the release of Titanfall and the Titanfall X1 bundle which is what we call a stealth price drop (keeping the price the same but giving you more value at that price point). It could beat Ps4 this month due to that bundle and PS4's still being sold out.

What will be interesting to see is how the sales stack up when PS4's are still not sold out in most places, and if Microsoft keeps making the Titanfall systems to help boost sales or if they actually make it limited and it goes away in another month or two.
---
3DS FC 0731-4747-6981 PM me if you add me.
#3SidneyAlfresco1Posted 3/14/2014 6:16:11 AM
Xbone is taking it place as GODKING.

People are realising the PS4 have no game.
#4skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2014 6:19:12 AM
SidneyAlfresco1 posted...
Xbone is taking it place as GODKING.

People are realising the PS4 have no game.

In part due to TF.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#5CHUBBYGURLPosted 3/14/2014 6:28:21 AM
Xbone is stabalising.

Look at the software, the Call of Duty gang have sided with Xbone (4th month in a row) despite the resolution.

MS wins the CoD gang, they win the US.

They win the US. They win the world.
#6wake_me_420Posted 3/14/2014 6:34:48 AM
Serious question..I know people have seen PS4's here and there out in the wild, but didn't a Sony exec say that they will be hard to come by until April? I'm sure bundling Titanfall bumped sales, but saying things like "MS sold 90% of the systems Sony did" should be looked at with taking PS4 supply into account.
---
Check out this sweet box fort I made. Dare I say, 'World's Greatest' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jo57wauuvA
#7Blizz87Posted 3/14/2014 6:39:54 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8MrSpaM111Posted 3/14/2014 6:42:51 AM
Only have to sell another 2 million consoles to catch up now!
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#9Blizz87Posted 3/14/2014 6:44:58 AM
wake_me_420 posted...
Serious question..I know people have seen PS4's here and there out in the wild, but didn't a Sony exec say that they will be hard to come by until April? I'm sure bundling Titanfall bumped sales, but saying things like "MS sold 90% of the systems Sony did" should be looked at with taking PS4 supply into account.

Yea once the ps4 becomes widely available like the Xbox one is, then the ps4 will lead sales due to that 100 price difference. It was one of the main reason the 360 outsold the ps3 for a while was because it was cheaper.
#10Rainy_David1Posted 3/14/2014 6:45:17 AM
CHUBBYGURL posted...
Xbone is stabalising.

Look at the software, the Call of Duty gang have sided with Xbone (4th month in a row) despite the resolution.

MS wins the CoD gang, they win the US.

They win the US. They win the world.

I think Ghosts has sold more on PS4 than Xbox One. Also, winning the U.S. doesn't mean winning the world. 360 beat PS3 in North America, but PS3 beat 360 worldwide.