External Hard Drive Support Needed...

#21CapwnDPosted 3/18/2014 12:04:57 AM
cschmitty posted...
CapwnD posted...
cschmitty posted...
Holy crap...you're telling me you can't upgrade the internal HDD without voiding the warranty? In a generation where games can be 50GB+. Woooow.

Why would you want to upgrade the internal HDD for space when you can add much more space externally?

Um because you can get large internal ones that are cheaper, not to mention the ability to use a SSD which drastically reduces load times and generally improves performance.

The discussion wasn't about performance. That is the only correct thing you've said. Well, that and the fact that you admit how pathetic of a troll you are in that other topic.

I'm going all digital with the PS4 this gen. What am I supposed to do when I run out of room on the HDD that I already replaced for a larger one?

If you were running a motel and you ran out of room for your guests, what would you do? Would you replace the whole thing? Or would you add rooms?
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#22TheGam3925Posted 3/18/2014 12:10:08 AM
CapwnD posted...
cschmitty posted...
CapwnD posted...
cschmitty posted...
Holy crap...you're telling me you can't upgrade the internal HDD without voiding the warranty? In a generation where games can be 50GB+. Woooow.

Why would you want to upgrade the internal HDD for space when you can add much more space externally?

Um because you can get large internal ones that are cheaper, not to mention the ability to use a SSD which drastically reduces load times and generally improves performance.

The discussion wasn't about performance. That is the only correct thing you've said. Well, that and the fact that you admit how pathetic of a troll you are in that other topic.

I'm going all digital with the PS4 this gen. What am I supposed to do when I run out of room on the HDD that I already replaced for a larger one?

If you were running a motel and you ran out of room for your guests, what would you do? Would you replace the whole thing? Or would you add rooms?

What do you do when your external hard drive fills up?

Lol.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#23cschmittyPosted 3/18/2014 12:16:29 AM
I guess if you run out of room on your PS4 HDD, you do what you'd do with the X1 in the same situation...

Come on guy, this ain't rocket science. Granted you have to worry about a screw for the PS4 but I'm sure your big brother could help you out.
#24kyle78Posted 3/18/2014 12:16:33 AM
The fact that no support was available a launch, just goes to show you how much they truly care about the consumer. The games with gold program, further proves this fact.
---
X360-KyleHboc<>PSN-KyleHbocc<>STEAM-Kylehboc
You cant call yourself a gamer,and suffer from fanboyism....Known fact
#25CapwnDPosted 3/18/2014 12:19:40 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
CapwnD posted...
cschmitty posted...
CapwnD posted...
cschmitty posted...

What do you do when your external hard drive fills up?

Lol.

The PS4 is limited to 1TB, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'd love to get something bigger.

An external should be able to be 2 to 4TB, and theoretically one could use more than just one external HDD, as it was on the 360 where one could simply add a storage device.

I plan to have multiple drives for my games in lieu of having physical discs. I have generations upon generations of carts and DVDs and CDs already, I'd rather have a couple of HDDs with my games. Like PC gaming.
---
#26CapwnDPosted 3/18/2014 12:22:47 AM
cschmitty posted...
I guess if you run out of room on your PS4 HDD, you do what you'd do with the X1 in the same situation...

Come on guy, this ain't rocket science. Granted you have to worry about a screw for the PS4 but I'm sure your big brother could help you out.

It's not the same thing at all. Are you suggesting that you can have multiple internal HDDs on the PS4? Because that's great if it's true.

Also, how is 1TB going to keep up? An external would be 2 to 4TB for each drive. Are you planning on there being no games at all for the PS4 so one won't need that room?
---
#27TheGam3925Posted 3/18/2014 12:37:41 AM
CapwnD posted...

The PS4 is limited to 1TB, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'd love to get something bigger.

An external should be able to be 2 to 4TB, and theoretically one could use more than just one external HDD, as it was on the 360 where one could simply add a storage device.

I plan to have multiple drives for my games in lieu of having physical discs. I have generations upon generations of carts and DVDs and CDs already, I'd rather have a couple of HDDs with my games. Like PC gaming.

1.5 TB as of right now, there will be a 2 TB Samsung hard drive coming out this year. And larger capacity drives that will fit in time.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#28Sorbetowulf(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 12:39:40 AM
I don't know whether I should be disappointed this turned into a PS4 v. Xbox One debate, or grateful that it took three thread pages to do so. :(

Back on topic. I'm really grateful that external storage will eventually be implemented as opposed to swapping out internal drives, because with three USB ports, there's plenty of room to put drives. Only one port is being used at the moment, for the controller charge kit, and even that can get plugged in elsewhere, should the need arise. A 4 TB drive is more than plenty for the foreseeable future.
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#29cschmittyPosted 3/18/2014 12:40:14 AM
Um, my 2TB internal HDD says hello. And are you planning on needing multiple (and more expensive) externals? Surely you could make room when needed unless you play 5-10 games at once, and quite frankly I doubt you do (you'll probably say you do since you seem to want to argue). Also I don't see why you can't have more than one internal, obviously not at onc though...actually you probably could with a RAID 0 configuration and some cords...but nevermind that for now.

Either way the only difference between the two would be that X1 would be slightly easier to swap over.
#30CapwnDPosted 3/18/2014 12:40:29 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
CapwnD posted...

1.5 TB as of right now, there will be a 2 TB Samsung hard drive coming out this year. And larger capacity drives that will fit in time.

So on PS4 one has to keep upgrading the HDD as the become available, and only have 1.5 to 2TB total space at one given time?

Besides the hybrid drive performance, tell me again why this is good for game storage space compare to external HDD?
---