External Hard Drive Support Needed...

#31CapwnDPosted 3/17/2014 11:51:20 PM(edited)
cschmitty posted...
Um, my 2TB internal HDD says hello. And are you planning on needing multiple (and more expensive) externals? Surely you could make room when needed unless you play 5-10 games at once, and quite frankly I doubt you do (you'll probably say you do since you seem to want to argue). Also I don't see why you can't have more than one internal, obviously not at onc though...actually you probably could with a RAID 0 configuration and some cords...but nevermind that for now.

Either way the only difference between the two would be that X1 would be slightly easier to swap over.

RAID0 doesn't give you extra storage space and how would you suggest you do that without modding the PS4?
Yes, I plan to have more than one external HDD for my Xbox One. I'm not sure what to do with the PS4, I'm looking more at performance than space, since any way you spin it I'm screwed on space on the PS4. 500 to 1 TB isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. I'd rather go for the hybrid drive and performance.

Also, they do not need to be an external HDD. You can buy an internal HDD and use a cheap enclosure.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#32TheGam3925Posted 3/17/2014 11:51:33 PM
CapwnD posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
CapwnD posted...

The PS4 is limited to 1TB, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'd love to get something bigger.

An external should be able to be 2 to 4TB, and theoretically one could use more than just one external HDD, as it was on the 360 where one could simply add a storage device.

I plan to have multiple drives for my games in lieu of having physical discs. I have generations upon generations of carts and DVDs and CDs already, I'd rather have a couple of HDDs with my games. Like PC gaming.

1.5 TB as of right now, there will be a 2 TB Samsung hard drive coming out this year. And larger capacity drives that will fit in time.

So on PS4 one has to keep upgrading the HDD as the become available, and only have 1.5 to 2TB total space at one given time?

Besides the hybrid drive performance, tell me again why this is good for game storage space compare to external HDD?

That depends on the individual. Even if someone chooses to upgrade to a new HD as they become available whether they have filled up their current HD or not (which isn't very likely BTW) they can sell their old drive. As it is right now, the Xbox One only has 362 GB of available space on the console.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#33CapwnDPosted 3/17/2014 11:56:57 PM(edited)
TheGam3925 posted...
CapwnD posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
CapwnD posted...

The PS4 is limited to 1TB, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'd love to get something bigger.

An external should be able to be 2 to 4TB, and theoretically one could use more than just one external HDD, as it was on the 360 where one could simply add a storage device.

I plan to have multiple drives for my games in lieu of having physical discs. I have generations upon generations of carts and DVDs and CDs already, I'd rather have a couple of HDDs with my games. Like PC gaming.

1.5 TB as of right now, there will be a 2 TB Samsung hard drive coming out this year. And larger capacity drives that will fit in time.

So on PS4 one has to keep upgrading the HDD as the become available, and only have 1.5 to 2TB total space at one given time?

Besides the hybrid drive performance, tell me again why this is good for game storage space compare to external HDD?

That depends on the individual. Even if someone chooses to upgrade to a new HD as they become available whether they have filled up their current HD or not (which isn't very likely BTW) they can sell their old drive. As it is right now, the Xbox One only has 362 GB of available space on the console.

So with the PS4 if you upgrade now, you are shooting yourself in the foot because you could get a larger drive later. With the Xbox One, you can't add storage yet, but most people haven't run out of room anyways, same as with PS4.

So what are you here arguing? The only valid argument here is that a hybrid drive adds performance. You people are hung up on the wrong issues. You people sound like the same types of clueless trolls last gen who complained about the way MS did memory cards and touted the way Sony did their "backup" system. The ps3 flash drive system for moving games to friends consoles was horrible. On the 360 one simply saves the game to the drive and that's it. On the PS3 one had to back up the game save, then move it to the new HDD, then back it up again onto the flash drive and move it back to the home console.

It's like you guys don't even game, you don't even argue the practical stuff. You are arguing what's on paper, and don't have the experience of actually using this stuff.

You probably don't even lift.
---
#34rgwPosted 3/18/2014 12:03:24 AM
If you don't dead lift then you're a
---
rgw
--
#35TheGam3925Posted 3/18/2014 12:12:45 AM
CapwnD posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
CapwnD posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
CapwnD posted...

So with the PS4 if you upgrade now, you are shooting yourself in the foot because you could get a larger drive later. With the Xbox One, you can't add storage yet, but most people haven't run out of room anyways, same as with PS4.

So what are you here arguing? The only valid argument here is that a hybrid drive adds performance. You people are hung up on the wrong issues. You people sound like the same types of clueless trolls last gen who complained about the way MS did memory cards and touted the way Sony did their "backup" system. The ps3 flash drive system for moving games to friends consoles was horrible. On the 360 one simply saves the game to the drive and that's it. On the PS3 one had to back up the game save, then move it to the new HDD, then back it up again onto the flash drive and move it back to the home console.

It's like you guys don't even game, you don't even argue the practical stuff. You are arguing what's on paper, and don't have the experience of actually using this stuff.

You probably don't even lift.

I'm not arguing anything, you asked me how an internal HD is better and I'm telling you it is up to the individual. As for upgrading your own console, I would suggest that you wait. Seeing as how you love saying the PS4 has no games you probably won't be filling up your current HD any time soon, and by the time you do upgrade to a 2-4 TB drive it will take even longer to fill up that. Realistically, if you want to go the upgrade route and not delete anything, depending on how long this gen lasts, you may only upgrade your drive twice, who knows what size drives will be available by the time you fill up your drives.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#36cschmittyPosted 3/18/2014 12:13:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#37CapwnDPosted 3/18/2014 12:26:15 AM
Bobby would be an idiot to get an SSD for the PS4. Then again, Bobby would probably try making a RAID0 with SSDs for the PS4.

If Bobby is going to "settle" and simply delete games he's not playing like a wuss, then Bobby should do the smart thing and get a hybrid drive even if it sacrifices space. Because clearly Bobby is already sacrificing space and convenience when going to all digital on the PS4. Bobby may as well actually do something productive instead of pushing for space for a few more games.
---
#38aszsithPosted 3/18/2014 12:36:50 AM
cschmitty posted...
*groan* You are fracking thick CapwnD. Let me put it in terms a six year old wouldwould understand:

Bobby just filled his 2TB HDD in his PS4. Bobby either removes a game or two he isn't playing at the moment and downloads another like a normal person, or inserts another 2TB HDD and installs the OS. Now Bobby has two drives he can switch between depending on what he wants to play.

Bobby just filled his external 2-4TB HDD on his X1. Bobby either makes room by deleting an old game or two or simply unplugs his external and plugs in another.

As you can see it is very similar, X1 is more convenient, but PS4 is cheaper and has more options (SSD).

Well, they are similar, yes. But Bobby still has to remove a drive from the PS4 AND install an OS on the new one. However, on his XBOne, Bobby simply needs to have an additional USB hdd. And since they make external SSD's, he can also get the improved performance he desires as well.

Of course, using an SSD is potentially pointless since the drive sizes in question are cost prohibitive when considering the minor performance improvement you'd get from using them for console gaming.

Bobby would be be better served getting a 4TB external hdd for $170 than he would getting an external 256GB SSD for $250 or an internal one 250GB for about $150. (and no, i'm not considering hybrid drives here. If you're gonna invest in an SSD, go full or don't bother).

Any way you slice it, SSD for console gaming is just too expensive for all but the most affluent hardcore of the hardcore, which essentially renders the argument moot.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#39cschmittyPosted 3/18/2014 12:36:50 AM
This just in folks, deleting a game makes you a wuss. This also just in, CpwnD fails at reading comprehension on a year two level. Now for the weather.
#40cschmittyPosted 3/18/2014 12:53:07 AM
Forget SSD, I said it was an OPTION.

My example shows both are near identical but the PS4 is slightly less convenient, and even so it's not like a person would be swapping daily, or even weekly / monthly.

Price wise would be similar for the amount of space, although where I live external is more expensive.