Marc Whitten Leaves Microsoft.

#31spacejamjordanzPosted 3/17/2014 4:42:37 PM
Muryo posted...
da_StoOge posted...
spacejamjordanz posted...
I would have preferred..

"Major Nelson Leaves Microsoft"

"...and tripped down a flight of stairs on his way out. Turns out the stairwell lights were off and he couldn't just flip a switch.
There were no survivors."

+1

Yusuf Medhi is next. "TV TV TV.... Sports"
---
"You know you've spotted a fanboy when they simply can not concede that anything is worthwhile on the other console"~ Evel138
#32Troll_DirectoryPosted 3/17/2014 4:43:00 PM
Aceviper posted...
Troll_Directory posted...
Aceviper posted...
What happened to this?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211896/Xboxs_Marc_Whitten_sits_down_for_a_fireside_chat_at_GDC_2014.php

So this must have been a sudden decision to leave then
i doubt it. i've worked at more than one company where we knew things several months before the media, but had to "act, as if" until there were public announcements. particularly, when it came to personnel changes, retirements, promotions, etc.

I doubt it was one of those cases

because that would send the wrong message

"I'm going to talk about the future of Xbone! *leaves the company*"
^ but, that's the part that didn't happen. marc whitten didn't shout any such thing, and hyperbole doesn't really work here. you have to go by what actually happened: gamasutra announced an ms fireside chat with one of their own interviewers (probably the reason all links lead to gamasutra). at the time of this announcement, marc whitten was the naturally the guy who would have been there to represent the product. and until whitten's departure plans were public, that's exactly who gamasutra would be told to expect. this is very common. i've seen it happen many many times over the last two decades in the entertainment industry. it's more likely that whitten and his peers knew this for at least a month or two, than for this to be some sudden emergency, or resignation, or worse. same with tretton, mattrick, and the rest. amy hennig, on the other hand -- yeesh. who knows?
#33AceviperPosted 3/17/2014 4:44:03 PM
Muryo posted...
da_StoOge posted...
I would have preferred..

"...and tripped down a flight of stairs on his way out. Turns out the stairwell lights were off and he couldn't just flip a switch.

+1

please

this is the guy that said consumers are stupid and won't mind paying more for less because they don't know any better
---
If gameshark wasn't invented... games wont be as popular anymore
-Someone
#34Troll_DirectoryPosted 3/17/2014 4:44:06 PM
Muryo posted...
da_StoOge posted...
I would have preferred..

+1

i know you're joking, but a year later would really be pushing it.
#35Troll_DirectoryPosted 3/17/2014 4:45:41 PM
Aceviper posted...
this is the guy that said consumers are stupid and won't mind paying more for less because they don't know any better
he actually said consumers are stupid, and don't know any better? i really doubt it. he'd have been fired faster than orth, for that.
#36AceviperPosted 3/17/2014 4:48:06 PM
Aceviper posted...
Aceviper posted...
What happened to this?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211896/Xboxs_Marc_Whitten_sits_down_for_a_fireside_chat_at_GDC_2014.php

So this must have been a sudden decision to leave then
i doubt it. i've worked at more than one company where we knew things several months before the media, but had to "act, as if" until there were public announcements. particularly, when it came to personnel changes, retirements, promotions, etc.

I doubt it was one of those cases

because that would send the wrong message

"I'm going to talk about the future of Xbone! *leaves the company*"
^ but, that's the part that didn't happen. marc whitten didn't shout any such thing, and hyperbole doesn't really work here. you have to go by what actually happened: gamasutra announced an ms fireside chat with one of their own interviewers (probably the reason all links lead to gamasutra). at the time of this announcement, marc whitten was the naturally the guy who would have been there to represent the product. and until whitten's departure plans were public, that's exactly who gamasutra would be told to expect. this is very common. i've seen it happen many many times over the last two decades in the entertainment industry. it's more likely that whitten and his peers knew this for at least a month or two, than for this to be some sudden emergency, or resignation, or worse. same with tretton, mattrick, and the rest. amy hennig, on the other hand -- yeesh. who knows?

what are you talking about? The article i linked to said that they are going to talk about the future of the console. wasn't hyperbole at all

If they had the plans for the departure for a while now, they could have sent any of the other higher ups that are involved to do the chat to avoid sending the wrong message. Its not like they don't have other people available to do so. There are certainly many qualified people in their division that they could have scheduled instead.
---
-Someone
#37Troll_DirectoryPosted 3/17/2014 4:48:21 PM
unless ... marc whitten is ntkrnl? dun dun DUNNNN
#38AceviperPosted 3/17/2014 4:51:04 PM
Aceviper posted...
he actually said consumers are stupid, and don't know any better? i really doubt it. he'd have been fired faster than orth, for that.

he didn't say exactly that, but that was basically what he was implying

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124970-Microsofts-Yusuf-Mehdi-We-Need-To-Educate-Consumers

And the negativity? Well, it may not matter so much to Microsoft. Sure, core gamers complain, but the folks who don't really pay attention and who just want a fancy box will be fine with Microsoft's Xbox One. "In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details," said Mehdi.
---
-Someone
#39AmazingDanyPosted 3/17/2014 4:53:46 PM
People who care that some MS exec is leaving... Bwahaha...
#40Troll_DirectoryPosted 3/17/2014 4:54:16 PM
Aceviper posted...
what are you talking about? The article i linked to said that they are going to talk about the future of the console. wasn't hyperbole at all
i emboldened the part i'm talking about, which was hyperbole. you suggested marc shouted about this interview, implying this was some big announcement that he was integral to, when it's more likely ms simply told gamasutra to expect the regular guy they'd already be expecting, rather than give them a name they weren't expecting, which would raise questions. i see now, you're the same person who fibbed about mehdi. so, maybe you don't notice when you're using hyperbole.