The human eye is incapable of reliably distinguishing any detail finer than 720p

#21DeadLock25Posted 3/18/2014 4:58:01 PM
carryonifucan posted...
Here TC, educate yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I5Q3UXkGd0

Was going to post it but somebody beat me to it. Everyone here should watch this video.

TL;DR: Resolution matters, up to a specific distance. Beyond certain distances, your eye is physically incapable of providing enough information to your brain for it to begin discerning between some resolutions.

Also to the person who said your eye can see in 3D. No it cant. Your eyes absorb photons, and nothing else. They see a set of 2 images, in 2D, due to their slighlty different positions relative to the image you are looking at. Your brain actually interprets that information (the dissonance between those two images using the concept of parallax) to tell you when something is further away than something else, and this ability does not appear until a few months after you are born.
People with one eye, and some who are born with a brain condition, have stereoblindness, which is the inability to perceive depth by combining the two images from their eyes.

When you look at an object, you can somewhat closely indicate its length and width, but you cannot discern its depth. That alone should indicate that we see in 2D.
---
GT: DeadLock25
FC: 0232-8879-2244 || Pkmn Y IGN: Pasha || TSV: 2535 ||Friend Safari: Ghost: Phantump, Golurk, Lampent
#22SabramPosted 3/18/2014 5:03:35 PM
I like how everyone in the topic is ignoring the parts where it was stated that the difference isn't noticeable depending on the size of the display and the distance viewing it.

Obviously if you're 5 feet away from a 50" display you'll see the difference, due to the pixels in 720p being larger. However from 3 feet away looking at a 20" display the difference would be negligible at best.

Running the same game on my laptop (1080p, 19" display) and my desktop monitor (900p, 21" display) has very little or no difference at all due to the size of the screen and the view distance. Part of the reason i got away with a cheaper video card and monitor, because the pixel density on a 21" screen can only be so high before it makes NO CHANGE to the overall integrity of the image.

Now on my 42" TV that i have across the room I game on, the difference in 720p and 1080p is noticeable, but it doesnt change how i can enjoy my games.
---
I have discovered the perfect game. It is called Starbound, and shall be played forever.
PSN: Sabram
#23Pixx0Posted 3/18/2014 5:40:30 PM
Reassurance topic #236588677665556

it's ok TC, you can enjoy your Xbox720. No need to bring the bs with you.
---
You are ignoring XXX message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.
#24SythisTaruPosted 3/18/2014 5:42:43 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
So why does 4K look absolutely amazing to me

Placebo effect.
#25Shura_SurplicePosted 3/18/2014 5:43:51 PM
LOL TC also claims he is 30 years old and that Titanfall is a top 5 game of all time hahahahahahahahaha
#26skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 5:49:21 PM
Shura_Surplice posted...
LOL TC also claims he is 30 years old and that Titanfall is a top 5 game of all time hahahahahahahahaha

You have your top games and I have mine, no biggie.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#27Cowboy082288Posted 3/18/2014 5:49:24 PM
I have seen 4K....... it looks immediately better. And before anyone says 'placebo effect' I only took notice of it while walking threw a store because how amazing the picture looked. Once I read the description I realized it was a 4K TV.

Also it is quite easy to go from 720p to 1080p on a PC game just by changing the settings. The difference is not hard to tell.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#28BTM4444Posted 3/18/2014 5:51:21 PM(edited)
The human eye can barely see a difference between 1080p and 4k.
---
I'm a Proud Xbox One Owner :)
Microsoft will never sell the Xbox One without Kinect!
#29wh0_kn0wsPosted 3/18/2014 5:52:49 PM
lol, gamefaqs, i never thought it would get this ridiculous

i swear it gets worse everytime i come back
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#30N3xtG3nGam3rPosted 3/18/2014 5:57:09 PM
I can't speak on everyone's behalf, but I will tell you right now, when you see a native 4k television running 4k native content....you will be mystified by the visual fidelity. It really is astonishing.

Simply put, 4k has so much detail within the image, it truly is like seeing something in real life. It's nearly flawless.

Aside from all that math you listed (which is great), the one thing that completely changes the playing field in terms of resolution, is aliasing.

Maybe we can't see certain pixels from a certain distance, but on a 3d image, the flaw that is known as "aliasing" makes the resolution a dead give away.
---
ASUS p8h61-M (Rev 3.0) | Intel CORE i3 2100 | 8GB Dual-Channel DDr3 | 500GB HDD | 600w PSU | nVidia GTX 770 4GB GDDr5