The human eye is incapable of reliably distinguishing any detail finer than 720p

#71SuigintouEVPosted 3/18/2014 9:44:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm of the opinion that the human eye can distinguish a maximum of 8K resolution but..

Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
So why does 4K look absolutely amazing to me

What you think is 1080P may contain

- Artifacts from limited-res rendering such as jaggies. But even on a 1080P screen you can downsample higher native and combine that with supersampling anti-aliasing correctly to get images that look a LOT better than native 1080P.

- Most people have never even seen 1080P sports, only 720P with high levels of compression - yet popular 4K demos show uncompressed 4K. We think back to the compressed 720P stuff and think that's the limit for 1080P.

- 4K demo material was shot to look pretty in isolation
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#72Cowboy082288Posted 3/18/2014 9:48:01 PM
SuigintouEV posted...
Don't get me wrong, I'm of the opinion that the human eye can distinguish a maximum of 8K resolution but..

Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
So why does 4K look absolutely amazing to me

What you think is 1080P may contain

- Artifacts from limited-res rendering such as jaggies. But even on a 1080P screen you can downsample higher native and combine that with supersampling anti-aliasing correctly to get images that look a LOT better than native 1080P.

- Most people have never even seen 1080P sports, only 720P with high levels of compression - yet popular 4K demos show uncompressed 4K. We think back to the compressed 720P stuff and think that's the limit for 1080P.

- 4K demo material was shot to look pretty in isolation

BUT AA requires compute power. 4K is so high a resolution that AA is not needed. Meaning you can push more towards rendering better images. SO HAHA

At any rate, I have seen 4K, it is obviously better than 1080P.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#73skyfire777Posted 3/18/2014 9:51:39 PM
the thing about it is that our eyes don't see in pixels. BUT our eyes ARE capable of seeing detail finer that 720p (we can distinguish detail up to 576 megapixels in the center of our field of vision where our vision is best)

however, resolutions that high don't matter that much for as long as the picture itself is not a perfect rendering of real life since we don't have a baseline for comparison.
---
^^vv<><>ba
#74wh0_kn0wsPosted 3/18/2014 9:53:17 PM
nizam216 posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
nizam216 posted...
InterzoneMantra posted...
I really wish 1080p was standard this gen so we won't have 720p reassurance topics all the time.

That's understandable but you should see iPhoneys making fools out of themselves trying to argue that higher resolution is a bad thing when it is pointed out that iPhones have sub-HD screens.

Yeah just like the droids that point out they have more malware........ wait they don't like to point that out.

LET THE PLATFORM WARS RAGE!!!!!!!!!!

That's a typical iPhoney response when it is pointed out that the iPhone does not allow software to be sideloaded.

i don't care what the phones do, i just am running out of ways to restrain myself when someone refers to the thing as 'my iphone'

we really need reeducation facilities
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#75SuigintouEVPosted 3/18/2014 9:54:21 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
BUT AA requires compute power. 4K is so high a resolution that AA is not needed. Meaning you can push more towards rendering better images.

They both take up video resources. It's just two different ways to skin a cat.

At any rate, I have seen 4K, it is obviously better than 1080P.

I have seen 4K too and I wholely disagree. Only gamers claim these differences because of the aformentioned. Compare movies in 1080P and 4K instead and show me the difference. I can only see the difference on an 80" screen - something that will not likely ever become the standard.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#76ChargrilledPosted 3/18/2014 9:55:03 PM
squidney2k1 posted...
Oh my goodness. The stupidity.

---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#77RebelGameMasterPosted 3/18/2014 10:05:10 PM
This has to be a troll topic. Surely nobody can be that archibald.
---
This dispute is an abuse of the dispute form. Any further abuse of the form will result in loss of posting privileges or your account.
#78Cowboy082288Posted 3/18/2014 10:08:53 PM
nizam216 posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
nizam216 posted...
InterzoneMantra posted...
I really wish 1080p was standard this gen so we won't have 720p reassurance topics all the time.

That's understandable but you should see iPhoneys making fools out of themselves trying to argue that higher resolution is a bad thing when it is pointed out that iPhones have sub-HD screens.

Yeah just like the droids that point out they have more malware........ wait they don't like to point that out.

LET THE PLATFORM WARS RAGE!!!!!!!!!!

That's a typical iPhoney response when it is pointed out that the iPhone does not allow software to be sideloaded.

Typical droid response when it is pointed out that multiple VM layers slow the hardware to actual performance.

LET THE PLATFORM WARS RAGE!!!!!
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#79jokujokujokuPosted 3/19/2014 12:07:30 AM
skermac posted...
The resolution of our eyes is 12 vertical lines per arc angle (one line per arcminute for 20/20 acuity) times 2. Now 28 degrees x 12 lines x 2 = 672.

This right here proves the article is full of ****. There are 60 arcminutes per degree. Which means there would be 60 vertical lines per degree. Assuming the "one line per arcminute" and their formula are actually true, the corrected numbers would be as follows:
28 degrees x 60 lines x 2 = 3360 vertical lines

Therefore, assuming the only error made in the article was the one I pointed out, we would be able to distinguish up to 3360p, which would be slightly above WHXGA.
#80ArkonBladePosted 3/19/2014 12:10:13 AM
HA!

all you have to do to see the difference in 720p to 1080p is have a PC. just switch a game back and forth and the difference will be VERY noticeable. Its like going from 30 to 60 FPS. every thing at 60 FPS has such a silky smooth flow to it on screen.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade