Why Early Xbox One Sales Numbers Are Meaningless

#11aszsithPosted 3/19/2014 12:59:07 AM
RicoKillercon posted...
The article makes no sense...you can't compare 2 completely different markets.

If the case in consoles was wait and see 360 would have gotten crushed last gen because there was 100m+ ps2 users Sony could relly on. The 360 crushed the ps3 early on which lead ms to gain a huge market share last gen. People that say an early lead doesn't matter are delusional. An early lead leads developers to change exclusivity, look at the FF series. Which sway many people to buy one console or the other. Ps3 only came back because they had to bend over backwards to get people to buy it. And in the US Sony never caught up to ms because the damage was done.

The one will have an uphill battle this entire generation, but that's a good thing because it means they will come out swinging next gen like the ps4. They won't be taking consumers for granted. I am just hoping Sony doesn't let this gen get to their head like ps2 did.

Did you read the article? I ask because your reaction is seemingly in response to a completely different topic than what the author of the article was talking about.

Here's a summary:

Microsoft doesn't need to panic about numbers like the Internet would have you believe it should. The hardcore are the early adopters. The One is behind in numbers on the PS4, but not by a huge amount. Microsoft has enough money in the coffers to ride it out even if the One is a flop, which it isn't at this point. Sony does not have any money, can't borrow any, and PS4 sales won't be enough to save the company overall. Nintendo has money, but the WiiU is a flop. Microsoft can (and in the authors opinion will) close the gap as more 360 owners upgrade to One over time.
---
ALL games should have a Single Player mode. I can always guarantee I want to play when I turn on my system. I can't guarantee others will at the same time.
#12TheGam3925Posted 3/19/2014 1:09:57 AM
gobuffalo30 posted...
So we're back to sales don't matter?

Not only that but the once not credible website has now become credible.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#13dnmtPosted 3/19/2014 1:14:27 AM
A couple of other articles from fool.com:

Sony's PlayStation 4 Completely Dominates Microsoft's Xbox One
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/08/sonys-playstation-4-completely-dominates-microsoft.aspx

Microsoft's Xbox One Is Selling So Poorly Retailers Are Getting Desperate
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/19/microsoft-corporations-xbox-one-is-selling-so-poor.aspx

Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.
#14ArkonBladePosted 3/19/2014 1:31:47 AM
aszsith posted...
RicoKillercon posted...

If the case in consoles was wait and see 360 would have gotten crushed last gen because there was 100m+ ps2 users Sony could relly on. The 360 crushed the ps3 early on which lead ms to gain a huge market share last gen. People that say an early lead doesn't matter are delusional. An early lead leads developers to change exclusivity, look at the FF series. Which sway many people to buy one console or the other. Ps3 only came back because they had to bend over backwards to get people to buy it. And in the US Sony never caught up to ms because the damage was done.

The one will have an uphill battle this entire generation, but that's a good thing because it means they will come out swinging next gen like the ps4. They won't be taking consumers for granted. I am just hoping Sony doesn't let this gen get to their head like ps2 did.

Did you read the article? I ask because your reaction is seemingly in response to a completely different topic than what the author of the article was talking about.

Here's a summary:

Microsoft doesn't need to panic about numbers like the Internet would have you believe it should. The hardcore are the early adopters. The One is behind in numbers on the PS4, but not by a huge amount. Microsoft has enough money in the coffers to ride it out even if the One is a flop, which it isn't at this point. Sony does not have any money, can't borrow any, and PS4 sales won't be enough to save the company overall. Nintendo has money, but the WiiU is a flop. Microsoft can (and in the authors opinion will) close the gap as more 360 owners upgrade to One over time.

why its true its not over and MS could do some things to catch up like a drastic price drop, remove Kinect, keep focusing on real games for longer then 3-4 years.

The guy is betting on the casual market jumping in when the X1 gets cheaper and while yeah it could get a big chunk of that if MS does the things I said but that's also depends on the time the price hits the casuals price point who are the mass buyers the PS4 doesn't already have a wide gap on the X1.

Casuals are fickle and will normally go with what ever is popular. The Majority of them know very little to nothing about gaming. So If they see the PS4 is whats Hot that is what they will go out and buy. That's what happened with the Xbox 360 last gen. PS2 gen before that, PS1 gen before that.

Also both companys really cant afford there systems to flop in one way or the other. Sony for Financial reasons and MS because there are stock holders who want to dump the Xbox brand. You can imagine if the X1 flops in the long haul its only going to reinforce that idea.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#15RicoKillerconPosted 3/19/2014 2:04:58 AM
iaszsith posted...
RicoKillercon posted...

Here's a summary:

In no way did I say the Xbox brand is in trouble of disappearing at all. All I said is that early lead IS important for the long haul. And addressing that there isn't really brand loyalty in consoles as seen last gen. MS doesn't have the luxury to wait for people to upgrade it doesn't work that way for consoles. MS is in trouble of losing alot of market share just like Sony did last gen, it took 3 years before Sony even had a chance to turn things around an it never did in the US.

While Sony as whole is in trouble the play station bran isn't. Big businesses work diff from normal people you can spend years in the red an come back from it. Apple was sucking ass for a decade before they turn things around. Even if Sony dies play station won't.

Neither Xbox or playstation will disappear there is a huge market for both. But to say that the state of the one is good when compare to ps4 is down right stupid. MS has alot of things to work on.

For the record I'm getting a one on the day halo 5 comes out for single player only and a new fable. That is unless they come out on pc. I am
Not huge console gamer as much anymore there are only a few series I still love.
#16CaIiber345Posted 3/19/2014 2:48:04 AM
gobuffalo30 posted...

They mattered to anyone other than investors and the employees of the respective companies?

Oh, that's right. Fanboys. Silly me! *guffaw*
---
twitch.tv/caliber345 | twitter: @astroduck79
Waiting for: No Man's Sky, The Witness, Mercenary Kings, Destiny
#17dnmtPosted 3/19/2014 2:51:02 AM
CaIiber345 posted...
gobuffalo30 posted...

They mattered to anyone other than investors and the employees of the respective companies?

Oh, that's right. Fanboys. Silly me! *guffaw*

Dreamcast owners sure cared about sales when their console was discontinued due to lack of support. Wii U owners sure care now when 3rd party games are nowhere to be found. Microsoft themselves were quick to bring out the 360 when the first Xbox flopped. ETC ETC ETC till the end of time. Sales matter and acting like they don't is being deliberately obtuse.
#18Kazuya_80Posted 3/19/2014 2:59:14 AM
Sales numbers never stopped the PS3 becoming popular
#19SorbetowulfPosted 3/19/2014 3:45:14 AM
Hi there. Xbox One diehard fan (not fanboy) here.

Can we stop with these troll fodder threads? Falling on deaf ears round these parts and cluttering up the boards with more argument starting back and forth, solve nothing threads that degenerate into pointless flaming and pseudo-speculation.

Whee!
---
GT: NE OBL1V1SCAR1S
#20wake_me_420Posted 3/19/2014 3:53:10 AM
If (pre) sales were meaningless XB1 owners would be stuck with MS's original vision for the XB1

If early sales didn't matter, MS wouldn't be bundling/price dropping so soon.
---
Check out this sweet box fort I made. Dare I say, 'World's Greatest' :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jo57wauuvA