How can they come out with Metal Gear Solid 5 when we haven't gotten 4 yet?

#11FourManSevenPosted 3/18/2014 8:38:48 PM
Reece504 posted...
lostkiwi posted...
In answer to the question if you need to play 4 to understand 5, well the game releases aren't in order of the Metal Gear Solid timeline. MGS4 actually takes place after MSG5.

But if you've never played the MGS games then it would go a long way to look up on a wiki to understand who the characters are. But in saying that a lot of it will be nonsensical - To say that the Metal Gear Solid Storylines are convoluted is putting it lightly.

Some correct me if I'm wrong but is the order
Mgs3
Peacewalker
Mgs 5 gz
Mgs 5 phantom pain
Mgs 1
Mgs2
Mgs4

Also how many freaking snakes are there?

Solidus snake
Solid snake
Liquid snake
Big boss snake
Naked snake

That's all the ones I remember

I hate that I played the games all out of order I want to play them all over again in correct order

Naked Snake and Big Boss are the same character. Solidus is a "perfect clone" of Big Boss, Solid Snake received the dominate traits of Big Boss, Liquid received the recessive traits. There are 4 snakes, (SO A MOD DOESN'T "MOD" ME *SPOILERS*) plus Ocelot, whom was "brain washed" into believing he was Liquid Snake.
#12KabtheMentatPosted 3/18/2014 8:43:53 PM
If you're telling me Kojima preplanned this entire series, then Kojima is an even worse writer than I give him credit for.

I don't mean to completely **** on the guy, because this is a problem with many Japanese developers as well.

And I have played every MGS game (except Peacewalker) and I do understand what's going on. But the mental gymnastics you have to do to follow a story is ridiculous. There's a difference between a complex story and a convoluted one. The Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones is a great example of a good complex story. The book series has 1000 named characters and a lot of "protagonists" (I quote it because there's not really any good guys in the series). But it's fairly easy to follow and get into.

MGS is a great example of a bad convoluted story. It has no coherency at all.

This clip wraps up MGS pretty well I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJvOxFhVNbQ

Don't get me wrong, I thought MGR was cool game. But I sure as hell didn't play it for the MGS lore. I played it because I got a good deal on it for the PC and I could chop **** up into thousands of pieces.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#13MasterMoron(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 4:52:46 PM
No one in this thread explained why Metal Gear Solid 4 hasn't been released on any Xbox systems yet.
#14SxmfctPosted 3/19/2014 4:54:03 PM
MasterMoron posted...
No one in this thread explained why Metal Gear Solid 4 hasn't been released on any Xbox systems yet.

Because the nanobots

That's the explanation for everything unexplainable in the MGS universe
---
Your move OP
#15MonicasBackPosted 3/19/2014 4:59:32 PM
xbox 360 couldn't handle MGS4

that's why its getting the far superior 5! Thanks kojima.
---
Monicaaa
#16blitz_0623Posted 3/19/2014 5:08:59 PM
MasterMoron posted...

If you're only wondering why there's no 4 on 360, then ask Konami. As rude as it sounds, that's what you have to do. You seem interested in this fact only anyway considering people have already said you don't need to play 4 to understand 5.
---
Nintendo FC - 2423-3428-2025 | Tangela, Swadloon, Quilladin
PM me if you add
#17Ryan SiPosted 3/19/2014 5:21:37 PM
Kojima did have a rough outline for the series in the 1990s, but I don't think even he could have imagined how successful the series would become and how many sequels would be made. Of course he's just making stuff up at this point, but he's really just filling in the blanks on a timeline we already know.
#18mcnichojPosted 3/19/2014 5:28:57 PM
Just go watch the full "MGS4 movie" on YouTube, it's seven hours worth of cutscenes.
Kinda weird when you think about it, it encompassed like three hours of gameplay.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner. Day one PS4/X1. | Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy.
#19ElemayowePosted 3/19/2014 5:33:00 PM
FourManSeven posted...
Reece504 posted...
lostkiwi posted...
In answer to the question if you need to play 4 to understand 5, well the game releases aren't in order of the Metal Gear Solid timeline. MGS4 actually takes place after MSG5.

But if you've never played the MGS games then it would go a long way to look up on a wiki to understand who the characters are. But in saying that a lot of it will be nonsensical - To say that the Metal Gear Solid Storylines are convoluted is putting it lightly.

Some correct me if I'm wrong but is the order
Mgs3
Peacewalker
Mgs 5 gz
Mgs 5 phantom pain
Mgs 1
Mgs2
Mgs4

Also how many freaking snakes are there?

Solidus snake
Solid snake
Liquid snake
Big boss snake
Naked snake

That's all the ones I remember

I hate that I played the games all out of order I want to play them all over again in correct order

Naked Snake and Big Boss are the same character. Solidus is a "perfect clone" of Big Boss, Solid Snake received the dominate traits of Big Boss, Liquid received the recessive traits. There are 4 snakes, (SO A MOD DOESN'T "MOD" ME *SPOILERS*) plus Ocelot, whom was "brain washed" into believing he was Liquid Snake.

Didn't Solid receive the recessive ones and liquid the dominant ones, and the whole reason Liquid wanted to kill Solid was because he believed he had the recessive ones and wanted to prove himself superior when in reality he had been genetically, all along.
---
XBL: DeathOnSkates 3DS: 0602 - 6733 - 6087
#20gohoanqPosted 3/19/2014 6:10:50 PM
Holy hell I thought LoZ had a confusing order.. lol
---
---
"Bad biscuits make the baker broke bro" - Jake the Dog.