Microsoft getting a VR headset?

#1ThePaleRiderpPosted 3/19/2014 7:28:33 AM
http://sheattack.com/oculus-rift-sony-get-competition-microsoft-working-vr-headset/ My question is this if VR is done right regardless if it's Sony or Microsoft, then wouldn't the kinect and the ps camera be obsolete? Or am I missing something?
---
PSN: OverlordZeit 3DS FC: 2895-6437-9632
XBL: VongolaXIIIZeit Steam: thepaleriderp
#2krystylaPosted 3/19/2014 7:34:23 AM
No the PS camera will be necessary for the Morpheus.

As would Kinect be for the MS VR device.

Personally I hope for a wearable that is more Google glass alike and adds AR
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Schreckstoff
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#3ninja_starXPosted 3/19/2014 7:34:48 AM
Microsoft are not a hardware company so most likely their vr solution would be a lot worse compare to project Morpheus and rift.
#4Jedi454Posted 3/19/2014 7:36:03 AM
ninja_starX posted...
Microsoft are not a hardware company so most likely their vr solution would be a lot worse compare to project Morpheus and rift.

They make hardware though, so they must be doing something right.
---
No one should buy MGSV: Ground Zeroes, don't support Konami and their greedy ways.
#5krystylaPosted 3/19/2014 7:36:19 AM
ninja_starX posted...

So MS is less of a hardware company than OR?
---
FC: 4227 - 1514- 7752 IGN:Mara PSN: JudasInHell Gamertag: Schreckstoff
Written by Surface Pro 2 256GB
#6wolverinerob79Posted 3/19/2014 7:44:46 AM
ninja_starX posted...

I would daresay that Microsoft mice, keyboards, and game controllers are some of the most used peripherals. Surface is included in hardware sales - that's actually not doing poorly. Look at Microsoft's old "Surface" product as well (now rebranded PixelSense). Microsoft's been focused on human factors engineering and interaction for a looooong time, so a VR helmet is just another extension of that - how someone is interacting with computing.

If Jobs was still alive, Apple might have something here, but Apple's innovation died with their founder so I don't expect anything.
#7ThePaleRiderp(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 7:45:07 AM
krystyla posted...
No the PS camera will be necessary for the Morpheus.

As would Kinect be for the MS VR device.

Personally I hope for a wearable that is more Google glass alike and adds AR

Ahh okay and that would be cool.
---
PSN: OverlordZeit 3DS FC: 2895-6437-9632
XBL: VongolaXIIIZeit Steam: thepaleriderp
#8aaron1111Posted 3/19/2014 7:49:21 AM
I won't really get into VR until it reaches glasses size or contact lenses which could still be a while.

As good as the rift perform is, it just seems too uncomfortable to wear for over an hour.
#9rgwPosted 3/19/2014 8:07:43 AM
Microsoft has gotten more involved in hardware really since the Web TV/MSN TV initiative in the late 1990s. They gave up on MSN TV and went with a gaming console instead which became the Xbox. Funny enough, we've seen the Xbox One finally loop back to the initial hopes of Microsoft with MSN TV in regards to living room centerpiece.

You could argue that - other than the Xbox - Microsoft has been incredibly unsuccessful in hardware when it comes to market success but they have put out a great deal hardware products besides just the Xbox. The Zune may have been better than the iPod in many ways but they were too late to the market. People liked their iPod and were more likely to upgrade than change to the Zune. The Surface is more of a failure on the software end than hardware. The Surface tech is pretty cool but Microsoft's "Windows Everywhere" mantra has led to the hot mess that is Window 8 driving the hardware. Once they realize that they shouldn't marry tablet UI with desktop UI, they'll be better off in that market (if it isn't already lost).
---
rgw
--
#10rgwPosted 3/19/2014 8:09:29 AM
I'd also say that Sony's VR demonstration was clearly alpha technology and Morpheus seems like it will be something like a mid-cycle hardware addition a la Kinect 1.0.

I could be wrong but I don't expect to be able to pick up one this Holiday.
---
rgw
--